2012 DSG tricks for better mpg?

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
I hate to start another one of these as it seems to be asked a million times but in all my research everything seems to be the older models and manuals. I have a DSG 2012 Jetta TDI. Wife said it has to be an auto and she controls the sex in the family so ya we got an auto so please do not say swap to manual cause that is not happening. My tire pressure is at ~90% of max psi on tire side wall. I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas.

So that leaves me with my question. Has anyone started modding the newer cars to gain better gas milage and I so what have you done and what gains have you seen? What of the old TDI tricks work on the new TDIs?

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
You got 39.3 on your FIRST TANK with a DSG and you're complaining about the mileage?

The mileage will slowly get better as the engine breaks in and as you learn to drive the car.

Stop putting it in neutral going down the hills, any extra wear and tear that might cause the DSG will quickly negate the hundreths of mpg's you - might - be picking up from doing it.

Don't baby the car off the assembly line, it needs to see some revs and boost to get everything settled in nicely.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
I hate to start another one of these as it seems to be asked a million times but in all my research everything seems to be the older models and manuals. I have a DSG 2012 Jetta TDI. Wife said it has to be an auto and she controls the sex in the family so ya we got an auto so please do not say swap to manual cause that is not happening. My tire pressure is at ~90% of max psi on tire side wall. I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas.

So that leaves me with my question. Has anyone started modding the newer cars to gain better gas milage and I so what have you done and what gains have you seen? What of the old TDI tricks work on the new TDIs?
rotflmao!!!!!

THE DSG is still a good choice. It actually is faster in most cases, and can come very very close or do as good in mpgs...

up shift quickly and keep rpm down. try to keep rpms under 2800. go with michelin tires, get 20,000 miles on it to loosen it up.

Most mods give some power but usually use more fuel. All the easy stuff has been done by the manufactures... driving sensably is the best thing you can do... and the car will always get fantastic mpg at 50 vrs 75 mph.

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
Was not complaining about the mileage. Just trying to learn and was wondering after driving technique what are good things to do. Thanks for those with good advice on improving my driving. This is my first turbo and first desiel.

Last edited:

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
... I shift into neutral when going down steep hills and coast into stops and time lights to save gas. I am also light footed to save gas...
Because diesels breath differently than gas engines, this may be having the opposite effect. Whereas gas engines have a strong engine brake effect, diesels have more of a "compressed air spring" effect that allows them to coast a long way while "engine braking" as compared to gas motors. This compressed air effect is why to seriously engine brake with a diesel you need to add an actual "jake brake," which is not going to happen on a passenger vehicle.

To my point, I have found that with any TDI, be it manual or DSG, the MPG goes through the roof when engine braking up to a stop or turn. Just leave it in an appropriate gear and let it roll.

It may (and I say may because I don't have to tools to measure it other than the fuel computer) take more fuel to keep the engine running at idle than will be consumed to coast in gear.

For a good explanation of the mechanics behind what I'm saying, read the wikipedia article on diesel engine.

Last edited:

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I've found, and verified, you will save more fuel by coasting in neutral in spots where you do not need to slow down, and using the engine braking to cut fuel where you do need to control your speed.

Engine "braking" is still braking, and you are wasting your momentum.

Also, I'm curious as I do not have a DSG, how does coasting in neutral increase wear in that transmission? I've been coasting in neutral for a while now with my O1M with no noticeable degradation, and significantly improved fuel mileage.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Well, I'd agree with the other people in the thread - since the car is new, you should be focussing on running in your engine rather than MPG initially. Be gentle while the engine is still cold, but once it is hot then work your way through the rev range, including visits to 3500 rpm. The intention of this is to get the piston rings sealing properly, so that the car does not drink oil later in it's life.

Once the engine has freed up (10k - 20k), then that's the point you can think about MPG.

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I've found, and verified, you will save more fuel by coasting in neutral in spots where you do not need to slow down, and using the engine braking to cut fuel where you do need to control your speed.

Engine "braking" is still braking, and you are wasting your momentum.
I'm obviously talking about situations in which you need to regulate speed or do wish to slow down. The OP said "steep hill." That means either riding the brake (which is bad) or choosing an appropriate gear. Going into neutral and riding the brake is a pretty awful choice, especially if the hill is long.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I'm obviously talking about situations in which you need to regulate speed or do wish to slow down. The OP said "steep hill." That means either riding the brake (which is bad) or choosing an appropriate gear. Going into neutral and riding the brake is a pretty awful choice, especially if the hill is long.
Quite right.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.

Most of us with new engine, etc. are lucky to get 31-34 mpg on the first tank or two. I'm am just starting to get 38mpg at 5k miles. Mine is also a DSG. Right out of the box they are not going to even get the EPA estimate.
I am not a transmission expert, I would suggest avoid putting the car in and out of neutral while in motion. Does some research on this site- you will find "coasting" in gear burns precious little fuel.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Not funny. Rude. This makes you look bad not her and is not necessary here. Really have some class or at least Klass.

Is funny. Isn't rude. Some are just WAY WAY WAY to thin skinned. BTW, this is true everywhere except CA. Maybe even WA now. I hope it's not spreading because someone has to be in charge.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Let it warm up before romping on it. Put miles on the engine. Stretch its legs frequently. Almost have 30,000 on mine (purchased June 2010) Got 43 mpg's on an all highway tank averaging 70-75 for the tank. It can happen. just takes time. coast in gear. hope that helps

GodStang

TDI
2012 Jetta
Thanks for everyone's help. Just as a note I do not ride the breaks I try to use breaks as little as possible since they kill forward momentum. I know sometimes you have to use them. As far as hills on my trip to work and home there are a good number of hills @ 55mph that you can put into neutral and coast down and for the most part stay within 5mph of 55. Those are the ones I was talking about coasting down. I guess they are not super steep but enough to keep up speed without using brakes from going to fast.

As far as coming to a stop I was talking about bumping the breaks to start slowing you down and then coast the rest of the way.

I was hoping this would save mileage but if this in turn destroys my transmission than I for sure will not do it. Glad I asked. I am here to learn.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Drama much?? It was obviously meant be funny, relax, breath in, breath out.

Not funny. Rude. This makes you look bad not her and is not necessary here. Really have some class or at least Klass.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
SVTSkippy - 39 mpg on your first tank is great! But I do agree with the others... drive the TDI briskly because that will help to seat the rings. Diesels take a long time to break in, and babying the motor will only prolong the break-in. Besides, it's a lot more fun to drive the TDI that way and experience the torque.

FWIW, with my DSG and commute, I'm getting about 39.2 mpg average. That's 42-44 mpg on the highway doing 70-80 mph for 78 miles, and maybe 35-36 mpg in stop-and-go traffic for the last 8 miles of my commute. I've seen as high as 51.5 mpg indicated (not calculated) at a steady 60-65 mph of pure highway. But that was with 20+K miles on the car, a really empty freeway at night, and a really light foot on the throttle. I have a crappy cell phone photo to prove it if I can figure out how to attach a photo.

Give it time... you're achieving great fuel mileage now and it'll get better as the engine breaks in!

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
In marriage it is easier to be happy than right. And yes the wife does control everything including sex. LMAO that is why we have a dsg 2010 tdi sportwagon. But I got my 261k 02 6speed tdi golf which I'd rather drive. 52 mpg there

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
No need to put the DSG in neutral going down hill.When you let off the go pedal the ECM will cut the fuel off in the injectors.Just read up on how to break the engine in.Good luck

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Ummm...spell check....
one "breaks-in" an engine, and one applies the "brakes" to slow down.
;)

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
No need to put the DSG in neutral going down hill.When you let off the go pedal the ECM will cut the fuel off in the injectors.Just read up on how to break the engine in.Good luck
Unless engine braking slows you down on the hill, then coasting in neutral will save fuel because you can keep your momentum for use when the hill loses slope.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
the thing about using N on a DSG is be very mindful not to hit the go peddle until the trans is firmly re-engaged. That is why VW has stated not to shift in and out of gear. If you shift into N then back into gear and add power too soon you can damage it just like a you can a slush box.

On a side note, in Europe they have programed the thing when used in mizer models to go into N automatically when you let up on the go peddle then back into gear once automatically once power is requested again. You must make sure you have a delay of a second or so on the shift back into gear before you re-apply power!!! to avoid damage. If you can do this consistently using N will not harm a thing on a DSG.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
... What of the old TDI tricks work on the new TDIs?
The oldest trick in the book works on old and new TDIs - drive slower.:D

Also coasting in gear is 1000-1500rpms more than coasting in N on the DSG.
You do understand that when coasting in N, the engine is idling (using fuel) so rpm are around 850 ish no matter what the speed of your car is and when coasting in gear, the rpm of the engine depends on the speed you are going when removing your foot from the go pedal and the gear you are in.

Thus, coasting in gear is not limited to 1000-1500 rpm above coasting in N and does not use fuel as long as the car is moving slightly above "idle rpm" (the ECM completely stops injecting fuel when coasting in gear above idle rpm).

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The savings from using N come from the gravity assist to keep speed going where if you stayed in D you would slow down and have to use throttle to keep speed.

You must judge whether you would save more fuel by staying in D in overrun or coasting farther in N. The decission of what to do should depend on distance you must travel, the amount of grade you are going down and whether the car slows staying D before you cross that distance. A fuel savings can be clocked if you use N to cross most of or the entire distance without throttle input being required.

Even on a DSG TDI overrun will supply some engine braking slowing you down compared to what coasting in N would give. Depending on traffic conditions, the grade and how far you can or need to travel at your desired speed without throttle input using N compared to using D is what I use.

If you have enough of a grade to cross the same distance in D without speed loss then stay in gear, if not use N.

That is the formula I use......

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I don't think you'll win much more mpg by coasting in N and a DSg repair might be more than what you save, what I'll do is drive slower or better to try to squeeze the last mpg but not damaging or outing in risk a part of my car, my mom has had 2 DSG cars and they are a magnificent transmission I don't think Puting it in risk is worth it

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi

Thus, coasting in gear is not limited to 1000-1500 rpm above coasting in N and does not use fuel as long as the car is moving slightly above "idle rpm" (the ECM completely stops injecting fuel when coasting in gear above idle rpm).
This is an 'energy vs. fuel' scenario. When you are in idle, you are using fuel to spin the engine at 850rpm. When you are coasting in gear, you are using kinetic energy to spin the engine at 1500 rpm or whatever (this is called 'engine braking').

Both are good in the appropriate circumstance. If you are going down a steep hill, towards red lights, or need to slow down for any other reason, then coasting-in-gear is clearly the best thing to do.

If you are on the flat, or an a gentle downhill, and have no need to slow down, and are above 30mph, then coasting-in-neutral is the best thing to do.

Note that I am talking about a manual here. I know nothing about DSGs except in theory.

Also, take a look at the VW leaflet linked below. They talk about coasting-in-neutral & coasting-in-gear on page 12, and the best time to use both.
http://www.volkswagen.com/etc/media...pps.Par.0008.File.pdf/effizient_unterwegs.pdf

Last edited: