Broken EGR pipes

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
I'm a n00b to this forum but have been building VWs forever it seems, turbo VR6's, 1.8ts, TDI's etc but I have yet to come across a problem like this. For some reason I keep breaking EGR tubes, I am on the 3rd one now and its been installed for less than 2 months and it already looks like this.

2004 TDIPD100, any one have any ideas? This is a very expensive eating habit as its costing about 100 bucks each time. The first time it was replaced by the dealer and each time there after has been by me. The pipe connects the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler. Never raced or beat on but it does go on spirited drives on occasion.
Pics for clicks

EDIT: I found this thread that may explain it but I still am not at ease...http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151377&highlight=official+egr

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Are you sure the egr cooler is bolted securely to the intake manifold ? Those pipes usually break due to vibration. I've never taken a pd apart yet, but they might be similar to the alh configuration.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is not uncommon, but it seems like maybe the EGR changeover regulating flap thingy may not be mounted securely and/or aligned properly. There is some 'fudge' factor on the mounting of the EGR cooler, and the regulating flap housing bolts directly to the EGR cooler. So if something was not aligned properly (as in after the EGR cooler recall was done maybe?) it could be causing some stress on that pipe.

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
I haven't dug that far into it yet. I am going to try and contact the dealer who did the recall and see if they want to step up and fix it, but I won't hold my breath...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
My understanding, after reading the EGR cooler replacement TSB for the 2004/2005 model year PDs, is that if the EGR cooler was replaced, due to a leaking original cooler, the new "improved" cooler is slightly different. There is a "kit" the dealer is supposed to use that contins the new cooler and one new EGR pipe (and the gaskets and fasteners). When performing the EGR cooler replacement TSB, the new EGR pipe and one of the old EGR pipes are used. So evidently, the included new EGR pipe, although looks similar, is molded slightly different to fit the new cooler.

Here is the actual M6 Campaign procedure the dealer is to follow:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/m6_campain.pdf

See Page 6 for the list of parts (with part numbers).

Perhaps you are installing a new "original" EGR pipe on the new-style cooler, and you need the "revised" EGR pipe.

The dealer should be able to run the VIN and tell you if the EGR cooler recall was done. If so, replace the broken pipe with the modified EGR pipe.

The other possibility is that some of the cooler fasteners were left off, causing vibration.

Also note that the M6 Campaign instructions spell out a VERY specific order for installing and tightening the fasteners and how to locate the cooler mounting. There are PLENTY of places for the dealer to screw up here. Follow the procedure EXACTLY!

Broken EGR pipes are a COMMON problem after EGR cooler replacement on the BEW engine.

--Nate

Last edited:

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
I will have to look at which pipe was ordered, I can say that when I replaced it this last time, I followed those directions exactly and whats strange is that it say that the cooler is supposed to move about the bolts.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
KubotaPowered said:
Don't you get a CEL? I have the Rocketchip tuning and was under the O2 sensor had to see the exhaust gases
Yes I get a CEL because I have stock tuning. ECU senses "lack of flow". Rocketchip and pretty much any other chip tuner can remove this CEL for you permanently.

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
Ill have to get with Jeff and see what he says, I know the duty cycle was turned down but probably not off totally

dejettatdi

TDI
Jetta 2004 PD 5M white, Jetta Sportwagen 2010 DSG black
yeah, this crap is still going on. I just replaced my bottom egr pipe yesterday and noticed the bracket that attaches to the intake manimold is missing. You know the technician didn't put it on when the M6 campaign recall service was done. Apparently, the vibration caused the pipe to crack. Yup, another $116 for the pipe and two gaskets/no discount by dealer, and my "free" labor. Spoke with my dealer service manager and he wants to see the car Wednesday and see if the braket is missing. What if anything he will do is a guess. I suspect nothing. They "never have any problems with complaints following the M6 recall. I'm gonna stay positive!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He ought to repair the car CORRECTLY for free and give you a loaner while the work is being done!

--Nate

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
dejettatdi said:
yeah, this crap is still going on. I just replaced my bottom egr pipe yesterday and noticed the bracket that attaches to the intake manimold is missing. You know the technician didn't put it on when the M6 campaign recall service was done. Apparently, the vibration caused the pipe to crack. Yup, another $116 for the pipe and two gaskets/no discount by dealer, and my "free" labor. Spoke with my dealer service manager and he wants to see the car Wednesday and see if the braket is missing. What if anything he will do is a guess. I suspect nothing. They "never have any problems with complaints following the M6 recall. I'm gonna stay positive!
You don't, by chance, have a picture or diagram that shows the mounting points?

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
the pipes have a design problem. Instead of replacing it with the same failing part either:
1. Block off the EGR
2. Have an EGR flex pipe made locally.

The OEM pipe is going to continue to break.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did the former, and have the original EGR cooler installed (I never had the M-6 campaign done), and no leaks. I think the hot exhaust gasses going through the cooler make it leak in the first place.

--Nate

dejettatdi

TDI
Jetta 2004 PD 5M white, Jetta Sportwagen 2010 DSG black
-kubota
see PD's http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/m6_campain.pdf . That is how I figured out my bracket is missing. Service rep said "sorry!" Wow, brought a tear to my eye. He is placing order for bracket to be replaced. I told him I would like the whole job redone due to unknown stress on other parts. Not there yet. I'm still remaining positive about this despite sorry stories.

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
It seems to me that if they are recalling these things for a leak and they are still leaking they need to find a fix for it.

mgac716

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9 1995 Jetta1.6n/a
Does some one make an after market replacement?
Mine is leaking and smelling up the cabin, lucky its still under certified warranty

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
mgac716 said:
Does some one make an after market replacement?
Mine is leaking and smelling up the cabin, lucky its still under certified warranty
I think someone here in the near future will be ;)