Boost Problem

TDI
04 Jetta
My 2004 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is shutting off at like 20mph because it's not getting the right amount boost I think. The previous owner said it would need a waste gate. I mentioned a waste gate actuator and he said it could be it. It's not getting the right amount of vacuum what could it be? In depth details please. And thanks in advance for the help.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
What do you mean by "shutting off"? Is the engine dying or are you experiencing over boosting? If you suspect the turbo actuator you will need a vacuum pump to test it; it should hold vacuum. A proper scan is also required before throwing parts at it. My actuator went out due to internal corrosion, but I was able to install a Garrett actuator along with a VNT software delete. P0299 was the DTC. I also changed the N75 on the firewall since it had sucked in the fragments from the defective actuator.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
YEAAAA, it shuts off? describe that more, you it restart no issue at all?

So any issues with boost leads to limp mode. you have more than one issue here
g

get a vacuum gauge and test all your lines and the actuator and dont throw parts at it at random.

please scan for codes too