louder than normal diesel clatter

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
This afternoon I noticed on light acceleration, the diesel clatter was louder and higher pitch from idle to ~2k. It also seems to come and go. My searches seemed to only lead to a hesitation issue; there is no noticeable hesitation. On moderate to hard acceleration, it doesn't do it. I only have 2300 mi, Any ideas? It is definitely a new noise. edit: only does it when in gear
Ran VCDS and no unusual codes.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Drive more, worry less.

About to turn 15,000km and I still hear it from time to time under the same conditions. Light engine load means more play = more chatter.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
There is no play in the valve train (hydraulic lifters). Diesel clatter is a fueling issue.
I guess I need to do a VCDS log. I just got back from an errand and it was doing it consistently. (just need to learn to log :D ) I'm 400 mi into this tank of gas and the clatter just started. It's much like knocking in a gas engine but just at low rpm and doesn't happen when in park. Every tank since whatever the dealer uses has been Chevron with 1qt Hyperfuels B100 for a ~B2 equivalent.
I hate to have to take a 2mo old car to the dealer, again. Starting to get buyers remorse...

Last edited:
T

Timujin

When my car's DSG is in "D" it clatters off of idle when driving slowly such as when driving in paking lots on and off the throttle. It almost feels like it's not sure if it wants to fully engage the clutch and/or use 1st or 2nd gear. However, if I shift into "S" the clatter goes away and clutch engagement is much faster. FWIW my car's engine does clatter when cold regardless of the DSG selection.

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
Under light load in D, our DSG can do this also. I must admit it hasn't clattered nearly as often since our car has been broken in a bit more.

I believe the issue is that if you are really easy on the go peddle, the DSG will shift at 1200 rpms, which I have read on these forums is too low for smooth operation.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
FWIW my car's engine does clatter when cold regardless of the DSG selection.
My car can clatter when its cold and under the same conditions the OP describes although he/she does not describe the temperature of the motor.

I believe this clatter is the result of the motor breaking in and developing more compression.

That being said, if the clatter happens when the motor is warm, I could start to suspect the quality of the fuel. Try fueling somewhere else or adding an additive. If the problem persists after fueling from a trusted source (additives or not), I would have it checked out at the dealership.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
As your engine beaks in, it will get a little louder. Nothing to worry about. That's right about the point I started noticing that on my car.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
As your engine beaks in, it will get a little louder. Nothing to worry about. That's right about the point I started noticing that on my car.
That's good to know. Mine has been running a bit louder lately, especially at start up, more 'ticking' like a valve noise. It goes away, though, when the engine warms up. I'm one of those people who listens to every little sound my cars make (car hypochondriac), but I haven't owned a diesel in many years. I was at the dealership the other day and I almost had them hook my car up and test the engine.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
While the CR engine is much quieter than previous generation, it's still a Diesel.

At 40k miles my '09 would clatter a little at low RPMs 1000-1400 while accelerating lighly.

As crashtested: Fahren mehr, sorge weniger.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I have occasional clatter in mine. Usually first thing in the morning going up a hill. I use "tip" mode on the DSG and stay in 3rd. It usually goes away in a few minutes. It has done this since day one and has nothing to do with additives, fuel type, oil used, or break-in in my opinion. It is just characteristic in moderation.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I did just start averaging 40 mpg with no driving habit changes, so maybe it is just "loosening up."

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I did just start averaging 40 mpg with no driving habit changes, so maybe it is just "loosening up."
With such low mileage, it was probably just the characteristics of the tank/trip.

You will see occasional spikes but you won't start to see any real improvement until 10k or so.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I'll get clatter at a certain rpm range at a certain load. never worried about it and im at 12k miles

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Save that feeling for the bigger issues if or when they occur.;)
I knew a VW would require a little more "vigilance" but two months and:
1. New dash (bubbling) http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=292912
2. Rattling window motor (thought speaker was blown)
3. faulty airbag replaced
4. Grill not snapped in at factory, re-centered it myself
5. DPF heat shield rattling; tightened bolts.

Current concerns:
- abnormal sounding diesel clatter
- possible coolant smell sometimes noticeable. Can't tell if its still the factory engine coatings burning off.

I guess I picked the wrong car; this is too much drama and too many dealer visits. My recent previous cars were a Nissan Murano and BMW 325i. Except for minor wear and tear items, they were problem free to 90k when I sold them. Never saw the dealer after purchase with either. ~90k is ususally when I sell, I don't think I'll stick with the TDI that long.

Last edited:

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
- possible coolant smell sometimes noticeable. Can't tell if its still the factory engine coatings burning off.
I am just about to hit 12K miles and I still smell the occasional coolant fart. No idea what it is, and my UOA shows no coolant contamination.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I'll get clatter at a certain rpm range at a certain load. never worried about it and im at 12k miles
Regarding diesel clatter....the CR TDI does multiple fuel injections in each combustion cycle -- partly for emissions, partly for economy, partly for reduced clatter. I have a feeling that when I give it more throttle at lower rpm's, it dumps more fuel in at once, making it sound more like my old Mk4 Golf for a moment.