COLOR ~ Why do dealers end up with so many White or Black

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Does VW force the dealership(s) to buy a quota of Black and White cars?

For me the color is a deal maker or visa versa.

Even if I found the "right" new car I would subtract 'bout $1,500 in order to take a black or white one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No, they just happen to be popular colors/non-colors. I wouldn't count on getting that $1500 black or white paint discount.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Turbobrick is correct. Black and white are the 2 biggest sellers, so they manufacture more in these colors. Black is a very popular color and I have no idea why, unless you live in a cold climate. Black is a royal PITA to keep clean - its actually harder than white. I live in the middle of a desert and I would never buy any car that is not either white or maybe silver. I need a car that reflects light (especially infrared) and heat. Dark colored cars are ovens here. In the desert, panoramic sunroofs are also oven makers.

Have Fun!

Don

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
In this cold climate, gray is the best color, followed closely by silver. IMHO, colors are what you see in a rainbow. Black, light black [grey], white and dark white [silver] are not really colors.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, they just happen to be popular colors/non-colors. I wouldn't count on getting that $1500 black or white paint discount.
....you are right.:eek:
....and hey still have their car(s);)
....and I will just move on, to "greener" pastures - with my cash :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '15 GSW is white. Last S Manual the dealer had. I wasn't in love with getting a white car, but I think the black on current VWs looks lousy. I think it has to do with paint quality. And white is very easy to maintain. I used to always buy my wife white cars because she never washed them, and ironically they don't look bad dirty.

Now that I've had it a while I've grown to like it. I'll get the windows tinted next Spring and I think that will make it look better. My detailer says white cars are a blank canvas that you can do whatever you want to. I'll go with that.

Car color isn't a big deal to me. I rarely get to choose. But some colors are deal breakers. Gold, for example.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
My dealer had two silk blue, a black, and a tornado red. I went in to get the tornado red, but it had a deposit and was scheduled to be picked up so I went with a blue.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My dealer had two silk blue, a black, and a tornado red. I went in to get the tornado red, but it had a deposit and was scheduled to be picked up so I went with a blue.

Some where along the way I saw one dealer with 6 black 2017 TDi Golf

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are black edition models getting prepped for secret service duty. Haha.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Not so. Everyone who watches recent movies knows that assassins always drive black VWs. And they seem to like the SUVs the most.

Cheers,

PH

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
i live on the gulf coast of Florida the only color car i will own is BLACK, yes i wash it often, very often, but imo nothing looks better than a shiny BLACK car.