NOX sensor replacement

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
So i cant get the recall stuff done until the check engine lights are off, anyone have a source for a used working parts, maybe off of crashed vehicles? I know the internet is the source of junk but would like something to work just long enough to get the codes off since it will all be buttoned up after. Spending 800 bucks to get a new nox sensor seems silly. I have been driving it with the light on for about 1.5 years without any issues.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
So i cant get the recall stuff done until the check engine lights are off, anyone have a source for a used working parts, maybe off of crashed vehicles? I know the internet is the source of junk but would like something to work just long enough to get the codes off since it will all be buttoned up after. Spending 800 bucks to get a new nox sensor seems silly. I have been driving it with the light on for about 1.5 years without any issues.
Have you tried cleaning it?

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
no was going to when i change oil this weekend... saw that had worked in some places. Got 120,000 miles of crud built up on it. Not expecting a miracle.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I pulled the diagnostic and it called for a fault on bank 1 sensor 2, i have been looking around here and youtube but no one defines which bank and sensors are which...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is only one bank. The NOx sensor is aft of the exhaust throttle, with a wire harness that connects to the little module on the body of the car.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
from my understanding the fix settlement put the nox sensor back under warranty- if its not just delete the thing. That car in the video must have been driven on the beach daily then another 100 miles on muddy roads- wow what a mess, even my 300,000 mile civic looks like new on the under side

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Nope, believe me ive had a long go around with my dealer and VWOA about it being covered as part of the settlement and you cannot delete it before having it fixed. Meaning it must be operating correctly before getting it fixed and receiving payment.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Nope, believe me ive had a long go around with my dealer and VWOA about it being covered as part of the settlement and you cannot delete it before having it fixed. Meaning it must be operating correctly before getting it fixed and receiving payment.

Which is on par with clogged EGR filters due to cracked DPF for the CJAA engine.

Fix it cheap and laugh all the way to the bank.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
had a P2011 code come up after the TDI "fix" which said NOx sensor circuit Range/performance bank 1
they said that it is covered by emissions warranty...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Had this sensor go bad our second winter, replaced under warranty. After watching the video, it's incomprehensible why these electrical components would be where they are: "designed to fail" being a understatement. This becomes yet another reason we're doing the buyback next year.....

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
just putting this out there, Dodge ram trucks are 10 fold worse, they have the entire harness on the outside of the frame rail under the rear passenger door- mine was full of dirty water and corroded beyond belief $1,100.00 later its fixed with a new harness- amazing how much $$ a new truck can cost on top of the $60K asking price I paid

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And it is amazing how easily the whole liability is deleted, and how much better the engine runs and how much less fuel it burns doing so.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I too got the nox sensor code (p2209). Just bought the damn thing from a non vw dealer and put under 200 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. Everything else seems operational except i have a small drip of some fluid coming from the crossmember area around where the NOX sensor connector is. I'm assuming i have an Adblue leak? I just cant seem to put eyes on the plumbing. I'm taking it up to Checkered Flag VW in Va Beach today for a diagnostic. i'm sure it will be pricey.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
I too got the nox sensor code (p2209). Just bought the damn thing from a non vw dealer and put under 200 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. Everything else seems operational except i have a small drip of some fluid coming from the crossmember area around where the NOX sensor connector is. I'm assuming i have an Adblue leak? I just cant seem to put eyes on the plumbing. I'm taking it up to Checkered Flag VW in Va Beach today for a diagnostic. i'm sure it will be pricey.
Our def line was not clipped back correctly after the adblue tank was dropped to replace the failed adblue heater.

The line was actually melted. Escalated to the issue to the service manager and the line was replaced at no cost to us.

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Per VCDS, I'm getting a "18623 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1 P2201 00 [237] Implausible Signal." It came on a couple days after the TDI fix. I cleared it. Came back a few days later. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Take it in, it will be covered under warranty. Mine has been doing this recently. It ran fine from July when I had the fix done until a couple weeks ago and now after driving for 200-300 miles after it is "fixed" pops a check engine light with a 200 mile AdBlue warning. It is headed back in today for them to work on again. Hopefully they will get it fixed this time.

Gingy22

TDI
2012 Passat SE
So i was completely wrong. The drip is likely condensation. Dealer said it was a faulty nox sensor. Replaced for free under the extended emissions warranty. 200 miles after that fix i got the light again! Same code. Took it back and found the harness recall was improperly done and was shorting out. Fixed for free and I'm back. So far so good.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I pulled the nox connectors apart and applied dielectric grease to them back in 2014- prob saved VW some $$ on a recall part :rolleyes:

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Per VCDS, I'm getting a "18623 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1 P2201 00 [237] Implausible Signal." It came on a couple days after the TDI fix. I cleared it. Came back a few days later. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow.
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone else has a similar problem... Turned out to be a faulty NOx Sensor. It was replaced by the local dealer at no cost. I thought it was related to the recall where they would check it for corrosion (I forget the details) OR the TDI fix extended warranty. Turns out that neither applied. However, they did it for free as goodwill. This was around 65k. Now have 70k with no issues since.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone else has a similar problem... Turned out to be a faulty NOx Sensor. It was replaced by the local dealer at no cost. I thought it was related to the recall where they would check it for corrosion (I forget the details) OR the TDI fix extended warranty. Turns out that neither applied. However, they did it for free as goodwill. This was around 65k. Now have 70k with no issues since.
You must have some goodwill! Our dealership has none, mostly because i do my own oil changes and trust gurus to do the rest, so i'm not a worthy customer of the service department. I'm actually still driving around with the same fault code for well over a year at this point. I'll figure it out when i get the fix done this summer... Not chancing having my car bricked...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
nox sensor not covered by dieselgate? Hmm, I may start gathering delete parts sooner than I had planned :D

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
That's really odd that it wasn't covered.Unless I am mistaken, it should have been covered. However, and here lies the rub, all must be fully operational with no codes or lights before the fix. Once the fix, then everything listed in the settlement is covered by the extended warranty.

If the fix has not yet been applied, then nothing on your vehicle is covered by the extended warranty.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
That's really odd that it wasn't covered.Unless I am mistaken, it should have been covered. However, and here lies the rub, all must be fully operational with no codes or lights before the fix. Once the fix, then everything listed in the settlement is covered by the extended warranty.

If the fix has not yet been applied, then nothing on your vehicle is covered by the extended warranty.
Right they covered and even extended the NOX replacement up to a certain mileage before the fix which i was already long since passed, and i must have no codes before going in. That is why it was my plan to just find a junker or cheap replacement before getting the fix, collect restitution, and start the new warranty clock. Which i will do this summer after i am certain they can do the fix and not screw up the car.

Then after extension warranty from VW expires i mod/chip the car and drive another couple hundred thousand miles guilt free after passing go and collecting 5k (plus collecting goodwill already and bosch later on). I like to think most people who are driving lots of miles thought about it the way i did instead of ranting and raving for months on the board... I just hit 130,000 miles, I bought it used with 30k before dieselgate was announced and this as a car will be much cheaper than even my jettas were that got 10 more mpg...