Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The urea tank would be topped up during oil change intervals. Still shouldn't cost "2-3 hundred dollars" though unless you're getting intentionally shafted.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
“The Cruze station wagon caters to an important market segment. It ticks all the boxes for European drivers in terms of distinctive design, dynamic driving, space and economy,”

Chevy will offer it with a variety of powertrains, including an upgraded 2.0-liter diesel and all-new 1.4-liter gasoline and 1.7-liter diesel engines – those three packages coming with auto stop/start capability.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Nice looking car. There is a bit of a lag when the Big 3 bring Euro and Aussie models to the United States for sale. What did it take, 30 or 40 years to bring some gas models over? :D

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
A diesel cruze wagon would give the JSW a run for its money. I just shopped the Cruze, Focus, Impreza, etc against the TDI's, and the TDI won overall for the second time. Cruze got second place over Ford, Honda, Toyota, Subaru. The Cruze is a nice car, the 1.4T gas engine is a more driveable and smooth engine than the NA 2.0+ gas competition. A diesel wagon would be a nice step up and would certainly get me in the showroom for a test drive :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I hope they bring it, but I am not holding my breath. We've just been given this same line too many times by too many manufacturers.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Put one in a wagon, and we're in.
There you go.
http://www.chevrolet.de/chevrolet-erleben/concept-cars/cruze-sw.html

Hm... they are also adding the 1.4 turbo from the American Cruze, and a 1.7 diesel, which I guess is the (not really refined) Isuzu-designed engine found in some Opels.
Pricing info for the wagon is not on the site yet, only for the hatch:
http://www.chevrolet.de/modelle/cruze/cruze/

They charge 1000€ more for the sedan than the hatch... so I guess the wagon will cost a little more than the sedan.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
The wagon looks so much better then the hatch. The cruze diesel is the only Chevy I would ever consider owning. I wouldn't be surprised if they found some excuse not to bring it over here though. The US market always gets screwed...

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The wagon looks so much better then the hatch. The cruze diesel is the only Chevy I would ever consider owning. I wouldn't be surprised if they found some excuse not to bring it over here though. The US market always gets screwed...

How true-I could choke the marketing folks at Ford. Not everyone wants a super duty F series.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Isn't Cruze one of the top selling models for the 2012 model year? Why not put the diesel engine into their top seller. Much easier than trying to convince the public to purchase the Cruze diesel instead of something that is not moving. Of course, best bang for the buck would be to put one in the C1500.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Isn't Cruze one of the top selling models for the 2012 model year? Why not put the diesel engine into their top seller. Much easier than trying to convince the public to purchase the Cruze diesel instead of something that is not moving. Of course, best bang for the buck would be to put one in the C1500.

Why not? Because it already IS one of their top sellers. Because Americans already think 30 MPG is 'good'. Because our dumbassed emissions laws don't favor them. Because it makes sense. Same reason we get screwed year after year. :cool:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Just one more comment about urea: You're also screwed running biodiesel with it. Can't believe folks on here are so receptive to it. It's just a poor patch to attain emmissions compliance using old diesel engine technology in new skin.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Technically, all TDIs are only allowed to run B5 in the US to maintain warranty.

However, they actually mean it on all of the VWs with DPFs, due to the in-cylinder post-injection that VW uses (however, Ford is getting B20 compatibility on the same system).

So, a 2006-2008 Touareg V10 TDI has a DPF, nothing else.

A 2009-present Touareg or Q7 V6 TDI, or a 2012-present Passat TDI, has a DPF and urea. Urea is injected downstream, for neutralizing NOx, and its behavior is unrelated to biodiesel use. The DPF is the problem, not the urea.

A 2009-present Jetta, SportWagen, or A3, or a 2010-present Golf, or a 2013-present Beetle TDI, has a DPF, a NOx trap, and an H2S trap. This requires more post injection than any of the DPF+urea cars.

This makes the DPF+urea cars better for biodiesel. It also means they get significantly better fuel economy on any fuel.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Yup. Wasn't it you, Dave, who predicted a convergence of diesel and gasoline engine technology?

In the last ten years...

Diesel compression ratio's have gone from 19.5:1 to 16:1
Gasoline compression ratio's have gone from 10:1 to 13.5:1

Diesel used to have fuel economy advantage relative to best-in-same-class car w/gasoline engine of

45mpg/$2.0/gal = 22.5 miles/dollar

Advantage, 2002: Diesel was 70% better miles/dollar ten years ago

Now:

35 mpg/$4.40/gal = 8 miles/dollar

Advantage, 2012: gasoline gets 10% better miles/dollar versus best-in-same-class diesel.

:(

If they ever get HCCI technology working for GDI engines, diesel's days might be numbered.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
If they ever get HCCI technology working for GDI engines, diesel's days might be numbered.
Somewhere in between the subsidies and the financial finagling, diesel has gotten the short end of the whip. (Whip... crack... get it?)

In dollars, what is the cost of:

Removing sulfur from diesel fuel?

Removing sulfur from gasoline?

The cost of cracked gasoline vs. diesel pre-sulfur removal?

How much would the above cost/provide (in yottajoules, please) over the period of Earth's human habitation lifespan?

Why do Americans consider gasoline to be the champagne of fuels?

I suppose I always have been more partial to beer...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Costs? no idea but if you look at "old" refining processes of just running the crude through a distillation column, diesel comes out fairly early in the process and different grades of gasoline come out at a much higher temperature. I believe that most crude is initially run through the distillation column and the resulting fractions are then run through the cracker to force higher production of more profitable end products.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Costs? no idea but if you look at "old" refining processes of just running the crude through a distillation column, diesel comes out fairly early in the process and different grades of gasoline come out at a much higher temperature. I believe that most crude is initially run through the distillation column and the resulting fractions are then run through the cracker to force higher production of more profitable end products.
Other way. Diesel's b.p. is higher, so it takes more temperature. Gasoline comes off the fractional distillation stack higher up. Boiling point of a compound fraction is inverse to height on the stack. Cracking, to my knowledge, can only shift the balance a few % points.

Status
Not open for further replies.