MK7 2014 Golf

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I thought they were discontinuing the Shark Blue Metallic? (Which is the coolest color! :D)

We have no technical details yet, but we don't expect many powertrain changes from the sixth generation car that is currently on sale. That means that the 2.5 liter 5-cylinder engine should make an appearance, along with a diesel
Yuck, I hoped VW would come to their senses and stop sticking us with that pile of garbage 2.5L they put in everything. A 1.4 or 1.8 TSI would be a much better base engine giving it some much needed efficiency.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Europe gets all kinds of colors we don't get.

For example, I went into their configuator for a Mk6 TDI

The color options are as follows:

Stock - Candy White

"Special Colors"
Black - 235€
Tornado Red - 135€

Metallic - All 520€

Glacier Blue
Reflex Silver
Shadow Blue
United Gray
Silver Leaf

"Pearl Effect" - 520€
Graphite Blue
Deep Black

For the rest of the colors, the metallics and pearls are 2,090€, and the others are 1,680€

"Blue Spectrum"

Blue
Blue Spirit Pearl
Dark Violet Pearl
Deep Blue Pearl
Inky Blue Pearl
Light Blue
Mercato Blue Metallic
Moonlight Blue
Moonlight Blue Pearl
Raven Blue Pearl
Silver Blue Metallic
Techno Blue Pearl
Ultramarine
Violet Touch Pearl

"Yellow Spectrum"
Yellow
Gorse Yellow

"Gray/Silver Spectrum"
Platinum Gray Metallic
Silver Gray Metallic
Urban Gray Metallic
Pewter Metallic

"Green Spectrum"

Bright Green Pearl
Cosmic Green Metallic
Mint Green
Racing Green
Reseda Green

"Red Spectrum"

Red 2000
Flash Red
Dark Burgandy Pearl

Kinda puts our selection to shame, doesn't it?

They also get the choice of beige or black cloth, or 5 different leather colors.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Looks very evolutionary (as expected) I just hope there is not major decontenting like the MKVI Jetta

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasn't that just a US/North American thing?

Aren't other-market Jetta's still full blooded?

EDIT: Wiki confirms

In Europe, the Jetta maintains its luxurious small saloon status. The engine range comprise of the 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI (122 or 160 PS), 2.0 TSI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines.[113] The European version will differ in some respects, particularly in having multi-link suspension at the rear.[117] The European version will also incorporate soft-touch plastics on most of the dashboard (not the doors for this generation), and the rear seat center air vents have been restored.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
nothing i've read about this specific car has details about what's coming to america. when that happens i will be more interested. if the gas companies/lobbyist possibly play a role in which models come to the u.s., then those great european models will probably never make it here.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I thought they were discontinuing the Shark Blue Metallic? (Which is the coolest color! :D)

Yuck, I hoped VW would come to their senses and stop sticking us with that pile of garbage 2.5L they put in everything. A 1.4 or 1.8 TSI would be a much better base engine giving it some much needed efficiency.
Powertrains are changing. The current powertrains aren't part of the MQB platform structure. Doesn't mean they can't be made to fit, but the whole thing with MQB was to keep things interchangeable and that includes modular engine layouts.

The 1.4 TSI is a new design, not the same as the previous 1.4 TSI, to use the new modular engine layout. I doubt we'll see it in North America. (Jetta hybrid will use it but I've heard it will be the "old" 1.4 TSI, not the new one with cylinder de-activation ... too bad.)

The 1.6 and 2.0 TDI engines are also new designs using the new modular layout. All of the turbocharged engines, gas or diesel, are using air-to-liquid intercoolers, and that pretty much precludes the use of the older engine designs (with air-to-air intercoolers) unless they want to do something special to accommodate them, which would defeat the whole purpose of the MQB modular layout.

The 2.5 is supposed to be going away, to be replaced with the new EA888 1.8 TSI, and this has already been announced and it's in the same timeframe as the planned US introduction of the Golf 7, so it would stand to reason that the 2.5 goes away and the new 1.8 TSI shows up.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the 1.8 TSI as the base engine, the new 2.0 TDI available, and the 2.0 TSI as the new GTI engine.

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
Looks very evolutionary (as expected) I just hope there is not major decontenting like the MKVI Jetta
I agree... looks are evolutionary and i think nicely done... but overall I believe the car will actually be quite revolutionary as the first VW to use the MQB platform. Slightly longer and wider and almost an inch lower... yet lighter by anywhere from 50-220 lbs (depending on which spy report you read).

Most of the reports I've read indicate US engine choices will be the new EA288 TDI variation (that is supposed to produce ~190hp / ~280 lb-ft) and a turbo charged 4 cylinder gasser to replace the current 2.5 liter. That's all still to be seen when VW finally fully unveils at the Paris show. GTI would get something bigger/faster.

Car and Driver reported back in march that they believe the mkvii GTD could be headed to the US at some point. Will be interesting to see if that fairy tale comes true.

As far as decontenting goes... Everything I've read indicates that's not happening... the golf being a "world car" (I.e., not a US only spec) and the fact that sales volumes of golfs are low here that a special US only version likely doesn't make sense (Jetta outsells the Golf by a factor of about 10:1 last I checked).

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I agree... looks are evolutionary and i think nicely done... but overall I believe the car will actually be quite revolutionary as the first VW to use the MQB platform. Slightly longer and wider and almost an inch lower... yet lighter by anywhere from 50-220 lbs (depending on which spy report you read).
Most of the reports I've read indicate US engine choices will be the new EA288 TDI variation (that is supposed to produce ~190hp / ~280 lb-ft) and a turbo charged 4 cylinder gasser to replace the current 2.5 liter. That's all still to be seen when VW finally fully unveils at the Paris show. GTI would get something bigger/faster.
Car and Driver reported back in march that they believe the mkvii GTD could be headed to the US at some point. Will be interesting to see if that fairy tale comes true.
As far as decontenting goes... Everything I've read indicates that's not happening... the golf being a "world car" (I.e., not a US only spec) and the fact that sales volumes of golfs are low here that a special US only version likely doesn't make sense (Jetta outsells the Golf by a factor of about 10:1 last I checked).
I'm hoping you are correct. :)

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I wounder what issues the new TDI engines will have. It seems like every generation of TDI engine has it's own problems.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a feeling that VW is going to really hit it out of the park with the new powerplant. Some of the changes. The air-to-water intercool (Like on the NMS Passat) will cure the intercooler icing issue, for instance.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I feel the new setup will be way expensive to repair , as they are designing the engines (all of them) around the car ! Things will be harder and more time consuming to work on in these new one size fits all engines . Just a guesstimated prediction !

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Shouldn't that actually make things easier? If they're designing with a specific engine bay in mind they should be able to avoid putting anything regularly accessed in easy to reach spots. I would think it's when you have an engine jammed somewhere it *wasn't* designed to go is when you start having nightmares.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Shouldn't that actually make things easier? If they're designing with a specific engine bay in mind they should be able to avoid putting anything regularly accessed in easy to reach spots. I would think it's when you have an engine jammed somewhere it *wasn't* designed to go is when you start having nightmares.
This is my point , they have One frame to fit every engine they make now ! They will design every engine around the shape of the car and put stuff where it fits instead of where it is accessible , where as in the past the engine was designed and the engine bay was designed to fit it .

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
This is my point , they have One frame to fit every engine they make now ! They will design every engine around the shape of the car and put stuff where it fits instead of where it is accessible , where as in the past the engine was designed and the engine bay was designed to fit it .

I dunno...I'm thinking the opposite of that too. When they build a car around a particular engine, THATS when you get into things residing where they fit vs where they are easily accessible since they only need to stuff it into that one body as compactly as possible. With a more truely modular approach, there should be less instances of that as that same complete engine has to fit in multiple different cars now.

Yamasaki

TDI
'12 Golf TDI
The 2.5L has proven to be a very reliable engine that gets decent gas mileage for a five cylinder and has a decent amount of power.

While it does not get diesel MPG numbers, it is far from a 'pile of garbage' :rolleyes:

audiphile

Vendor
TDI
shop full of swaps
The 2.5L has proven to be a very reliable engine that gets decent gas mileage for a five cylinder and has a decent amount of power.

While it does not get diesel MPG numbers, it is far from a 'pile of garbage' :rolleyes:
Agreed. 2.5's are durable, have nice torque and very low maintenance. I'll miss them when they're gone.

sent from an android phone

ARGH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
no manual hand brake no thanks! i bet it doesn't even come in manual trans while they're at it!

Green Hare

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I like the styling cues that VW is bringing forward from prior generations, from the notched rear window like the Mk1 to the profile of the taillights from the side like the Mk4. I do find the mini window at the A-pillar a curious addition.

As for the US lineup, I'm most curious to see what will become of the JSW. Certainly I don't expect VW to drop one if its strong sellers, as we are soon to be in the market for one ourselves. Our main issue is the inability to equip one as we would like to buy it (manual/cloth/TDI) even if we were to special order the car.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI

During the few times my TDIs have been in the shop, I have been stuck with an 2.5 SE Jetta Auto for a total of about 2 weeks. From my experience driving them, I got about half the mileage from them that I normally get with my TDIs. I felt their powerband was not good, and they just felt like a rough unrefined engine, that lacked both performance and efficiency. Plus how many generations old are they? It just seems weird to put such an unrefined, old engine, in such a precise state of the art German automobile.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Because to make that level of power out of a smaller engine would require a turbo. You don't see many $16k cars with turbos.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Agreed. 2.5's are durable, have nice torque and very low maintenance. I'll miss them when they're gone.

sent from an android phone
Funny, people deride the ol 2.slow now. Never been a 5 cylinder fan myself. Had VW and Volvo 5 cylinders.