What Axles to buy and transmission questions?

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
I have an 02 alh auto. I'm wondering what Axles are safe to buy. I don't have enough $ to go oem. Are there any other options that don't suck? Also, my transmission has been slipping every five days or so. Sometimes it slips going 1st to 2nd and sometimes in 4th. I got the P0740 code about a year ago and I haven't done anything because I just clear it and my rpms while cruising are normal. Why is it slipping on some days and then completely fine on others? Sometimes I will shut my car off when it happens and when I restart the transmission will shift properly. Is it worth it to buy new axles with a sucky transmission? Last question, will stiffer dogbone inserts make it easier for my transmission to shift? Thanks to anyone who can help answer these!

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
P.S. I'm looking on ECS and I see 2 non OEM companies that fit mine. GSP and OP PARTS. I also looked on NAPA and they have MaxDrive axles for pretty cheap. If any of those are good at all, let me know.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have an 02 alh auto. I'm wondering what Axles are safe to buy. I don't have enough $ to go oem. Are there any other options that don't suck? Also, my transmission has been slipping every five days or so. Sometimes it slips going 1st to 2nd and sometimes in 4th. I got the P0740 code about a year ago and I haven't done anything because I just clear it and my rpms while cruising are normal. Why is it slipping on some days and then completely fine on others? Sometimes I will shut my car off when it happens and when I restart the transmission will shift properly. Is it worth it to buy new axles with a sucky transmission? Last question, will stiffer dogbone inserts make it easier for my transmission to shift? Thanks to anyone who can help answer these!
If you research this site it will not take you long to find automatic transmission woes and how bad that transmission is. Many people cure it with doing a 5 speed swap.

I would think spending money on axles with some gears in the grave and others on a banana peel is going to be money poorly spent. Are the axles bad? You can rebuild the original axles inexpensively.

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
If you research this site it will not take you long to find automatic transmission woes and how bad that transmission is. Many people cure it with doing a 5 speed swap.

I would think spending money on axles with some gears in the grave and others on a banana peel is going to be money poorly spent. Are the axles bad? You can rebuild the original axles inexpensively.
Yeah I'm well aware of the 01m's repuatation but I was wondering if there is a specific reason that someone might know

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
What's up with the axles? broken boots? The OEM axles are high quality and worth putting maintenance.
Driver side is ripped. Not horribly by any means considering there are no signs of problems yet, but I'm preparing for the worst. Also, I don't think it's worth it to put OEM in when the transmission is going out. OEM would set me back around $600+ and that's not too far away from what a 5 speed swap would cost me.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
If the axles are not clicking and the grease still looks clean (not full of water and sand, etc.) then just put new CV boots on. If you need axles then check out Raxles Axles. Life time warranty and better than OEM.

But then why throw good money away if the trans is done? In my years of working on these things I have learned that by the time you notice something wrong (slipping, MIL for trans) the adaptive logic has been hiding the problem too long and the damage is done. Cost to fix, at this point, is usually always more than replace.

Jason

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
What would you do if tomorrow the trans said I've had enough I'm not moving this car one more inch? If you have other means of transportation do the 5 speed swap now and get it over with.
Your 01m has at least 230k on it. It doesn't owe you anything but could if it leaves you stranded far from home.

Last edited:

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
What would you do if tomorrow the trans said I've had enough I'm not moving this car one more inch? If you have other means of transportation do the 5 speed swap now and get it over with.
Your 01m has at least 230k on it. It doesn't owe you anything but could if it leaves you stranded farrow home.
I should've been more clear. The transmission has around 100k on the rebuild. I bought it from a mechanic in my area who owns mk4's and he did the rebuild before I bought it. I still have him work on it and he has a full 5 speed swap at his disposal. Just need to talk pricing and labor. He said the only car he believes should get a manual swap is the alh autos.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I should've been more clear. The transmission has around 100k on the rebuild. I bought it from a mechanic in my area who owns mk4's and he did the rebuild before I bought it. I still have him work on it and he has a full 5 speed swap at his disposal. Just need to talk pricing and labor. He said the only car he believes should get a manual swap is the alh autos.
That's a whole lifetime for that trans.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The 01M is a horrible, outdated transmission. I know because I drive one. However, mine has 185,000 original miles on it and still runs strong.

Lots of people are going to recommend a manual swap, which is definitely ideal, but these cars are getting so old that it's not even worth swapping them (buying a new manual car is nearly the cost if not cheaper than sourcing parts for the swap and labor). Thankfully, TDI ECUs have the option of switching over to manual mode, unlike the gassers.

So, if you have to stick with your 01m for the time being, it's not a big deal. They get a bad rap but they're not really as bad as some others. What they DEFINITELY are is temperamental when it comes to fluid and fluid level. Slipping in the trans can be caused by a worn valve body, worn clutches or too little transmission fluid. Fill level is CRITICAL in this trans for proper operation but they will run, albeit poorly, a whole quart short.

That being said, you can prevent complete failure of the trans if you take some precautions. The first step is to change the ATF and filter. This is well-documented and relatively simple procedure. You will need a few tools to do so, namely a fluid pump, torque wrench and an infrared thermometer. A proper fluid change and fluid level will likely make the trans shift better, however the change does not change ALL of the fluid in the transmission. You are replacing about 60% of it. Thus it takes several changes to get all of the bad, burnt old fluid out.

The other thing you should change is the differential oil. This is accessed on the top, back side of the trans underneath the speed sensor port.

As for your axle issues, stick with OEM axles. You don't need a new axle. Just pull off the existing axle and replace the boots on it. This is a messy job to DIY, and does require several specialized tools, so if it means taking it to a shop, so be it. But I did it myself in my garage, so you probably can too.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Inner boots are not that big of deal. No specialized tools unless you mean the triple square to get the axle off the flanges.

I am still riding on original outer boots at 410K miles.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Maybe the output speed sensor (G68) is acting up, but not enough to trigger its own code?

I just had the G68 sensor (output speed) go out on my car, was out on the highway cruising and out of nowhere it seemed to drop out of overdrive into 3rd. I pulled over and shut off/restarted the engine to power-cycle the TCU, and then it wouldn't go into D until around 3200 RPMs (and harshly at that). Local roads at that point were 3 only - no lower gears. Took it easy to get it home and found the code for that and the one you have (P0740).

I parked mine until I could get the sensor changed (G68 is the one under the trans mount, and a royal pain to get to). Since both my sensors were original at 360,900 miles, I had the G38 (input speed) changed as well as insurance. I also had a fluid/filter change done (partly because it had been a year since the last change, and partly to ensure we weren't putting good sensors into a failing trans), and the fluid was clean, so the sensors were thankfully the only issue. I even think the TCC Lockup code was caused by the G68, since it meant the TCU wasn't getting good info on what speed the car was going.

(Edit) No, I'm not on the original trans in my car.

Last edited: