Cel: P047a & p0401

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Just got a check engine light on our 2009 Sportwagen. I did a quick search and on this forum and came up with nothing. Does anyone have a clue? Looks like the Exhaust pressure sensor 2 is shorted. I'm going to clear it and see if it comes back. Here is what it reads from VCDS:

2 Faults Found:
001146 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2: Open Circuit
P047A - 000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 18
Mileage: 70248 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 17:27:36

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 13.5°C
Temperature: 70.2°C
Temperature: 54.0°C
Pressure: 0 mbar

001025 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
P0401 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 70248 km
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 17:27:24

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1173 /min
Speed: 12.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.91 V
Load: 56.9 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 200.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 205.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd start looking for freyed wires if the faul pops back up.

This will def be something you'd need to fix as the regens aren't happy without this sensor.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Here is what I have after I reset and drove today. Still no CEL but I'm sure it will come back.

1 Fault Found:
001146 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2: Open Circuit
P047A - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Frequency: 7
Mileage: 70309 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 8.1°C
Temperature: 81.9°C
Temperature: 72.0°C
Pressure: 326 mbar

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Update... I should have read the warranty page and stayed away from the Dealer like so many here have said. Got charged a $99.00 diagnostic fee and ordered a new $73.00 pressure sensor #2. Now all I have to do is pay them $99.00 to install so I can get the 12,000 mile warranty on the repair otherwise I'd try to put it in myself. I didn't realize the Emissions Warranty is so weak at 2 years 24,000 miles. I must have been smoking dope and read the California Emissions Warranty by mistake. I'm gonna still call VW Customer care and complain. This is the second emissions issue I've had. The first one was the exhaust flap which was repaired under the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I'm really feeling bummed:( right now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ohh you call and complain, people have been getting way more service out of dealers, than the 24,000 2 year bull crap.

BTW they should be pulling codes for free for at least 36K/3yr how do they know if its warranty or not before they know the code.

Turn up the a**hole level up! 12K car shouldn't need a cent from your pocket, and you better demand that.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Update: I called Customer Care and expressed my dissatisfaction with the performance of the exhaust system. I got a call back the next day & VW Customer Care resolved the issue and I am now a happy camper.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
ohh you call and complain, people have been getting way more service out of dealers, than the 24,000 2 year bull crap.

BTW they should be pulling codes for free for at least 36K/3yr how do they know if its warranty or not before they know the code.

Turn up the a**hole level up! 12K car shouldn't need a cent from your pocket, and you better demand that.

Actually the car has over 44,000 miles on it. Anyway I still think of it as our new car and an exhaust system component shouldn't be failing this soon. At least in my mind it shouldn't.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
I had no idea the exhaust warranty was so weak. I need to sit down and read that thing as well. 26,000 miles so far with (I hate to say it - knock on wood) no serious issues. Wow, it just gets better all the time with these cars.

cmkaner

Veteran Member
TDI
Camp. White '09 TDI Loyal Edition
Damn, wish I saw this earlier. I had a CEL a while ago and bought a VAGCOM and service manual because of it. No help from here unfortunately--no one knew what the problem was.

Turns out that sensor was the problem. Replaced it myself--but it was sort of difficult.

Turns out that the sensors (exhaust pressure sensor 2) that they put in some if not all of the TDIs here are actually sensors that haven been discontinued for years--at least in Europe. Knowing that, I'd say its safe to assume it's because they're prone to failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russellb05

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I got a CEL yesterday on my way home from work so I went to advanced auto where they told me it was code P047A - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2. After finding this thread I called the local VW dealership and told them I needed a new exhaust pressure sensor. They proceeded to tell me that there were four pressure sensors in the exhaust system and it was impossible to tell which one failed based on this code.

Based on the schematic in the below thread it appears there is only one which measures the pressure drop across the DPF. I assume this is the bad sensor, however does anyone know if there are other pressure sensors in the exhaust and how to isolate the bad one?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323356&highlight=P047A

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
For anyone who is interested in replacing the pressure sensor #2 the part# is : 076-906-051-A SENSOR. The price on my invoice from the dealership was $72.61 in March of 2011.

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
Just got this cel today, first time it showed up was after the dealer performed an oil change and replaced the mechitronic unit. (and placed a nice dent in the back of the car) Got 2 blocks away and noticed the CEL, they say its covered under warranty, even though I am over my 3 yr warranty.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
Just got this CEL also. Took my car into the dealer and they replaced the part (under extended warranty). Drove to work no CEL. Went to leave work and got the CEL again. They checked the computer and same CEL "P047A" returned. My car is back at the dealer and they said there is a technical bulletin to address the issue. I'll have more details after I pick up my car. Local dealer has been great and even offered a rental car at no charge.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
When I picked up my car, they didn't have any additional details other than there are two identical sensors and they had to replace both. Both were the 076-906-051-A SENSOR part number. Sorry I don't have more details.

freon480

TDI
2009 sportwagen
i came across this site and wanted to shed some light on this issue as i have gone through it my self in hopes that someone else could benefit from this information. there are 2 sensors. they both have the same part number : the one from the factorys part number is 036 906 051A. the parts have been updated to this new part number: 076 906 051A. sensor A or 1 as it is sometimes called is mounted on the right passenger side shock tower. sensor B or 2 as it is sometimes called is bolted to the valve cover under the engine cover. it is wrapped in an aluminum foil cover that is held together with 3 snaps. both take minutes to change. hope this helps someone.

TerryE

TDI
tbd
I have the exact same codes. They told me it was exaust pressure sensor 2 which i purchased for 91.43. I will change it in the next day or two. Do i need to reset codes or if it fixes it will it reset itself?
Terry
2009 6mt 65,000 miles.

jrm390

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Had both codes on my 09 Jetta. Took the EGR valve off and did some cleaning to it. It didn't really seem to clogged, but doing so got rid of the P0401 code.

Just put the new pressure sensor on last night and I'm now CEL free.

I did clear the codes after I replaced the switch. Not sure if you have to or not.

dogismycopilot

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta
I made an account specifically for this post to share what I've learned about my new 2009 TDI Jetta. Thanks in advance to everyone who posted.

I had the codes at VW pulled after several attempts by some old software that I had (Bowser Electronics) and found out that I had a P047A - Exhaust Pressure Sensor B. I bought the part that freon480 mentioned (and yes, there was a change in number) starting with 076 and changed the sensor by the hood support (although above freon480 mentioned the "B" refers to the sensor under the engine cover). The light didn't go out, so I moved the sensor that was originally at the hood support to the second location and kept the new one at the hood support. This was a pain in the ass to get to.

After about 25min of driving and a restart, the CIL went away and has been off for about 3 days now. It seems logical that VW would label one sensor A and the other B, and have two locations for it, but unfortunately no one updated their repairs. I can tell you that with code P047A - Exhaust Pressure Sensor B, that I ultimately changed the pressure sensor under the engine cover (where the little buttoned-up aluminum/duct tape looking thing is) and my CIL went away.

ORDutch

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
i came across this site and wanted to shed some light on this issue as i have gone through it my self in hopes that someone else could benefit from this information. there are 2 sensors. they both have the same part number : the one from the factorys part number is 036 906 051A. the parts have been updated to this new part number: 076 906 051A. sensor A or 1 as it is sometimes called is mounted on the right passenger side shock tower. sensor B or 2 as it is sometimes called is bolted to the valve cover under the engine cover. it is wrapped in an aluminum foil cover that is held together with 3 snaps. both take minutes to change. hope this helps someone.
Does anyone have a picture of the second Pressure sensor mounted on the shock tower? I have 2009 TDI Jetta and seem to either be blind or incapable of identifying parts. I found the one under the aluminum sheath.

I believe the shock tower one would be Sensor B? I have a P047A sensor B error. Also on replacement is there anything special I need to do. I read some posts mentioning a recalibration??

Thanks
H