VW clutch problem..very serious must read

drivinajay

My name is Ajay Patel, I am a MECHANICAL ENGINEER (which i mention because legally i can account for part failure in front of a judge!), and I bought
a 2006 VW TDI in August '05. With 12,120 miles I had the same problem as
many of you complained about...MY CLUTCH FROZE TO THE FLOOR AS I WAS DRIVING! VW said it was my error, and I disagreed...as i know an
instantaneous failure of any mechanical system is due to a part
malfunction!

Ok, ok...so whats my point! I took the car to a third party mechanic and
my insurance company came to inspect the damage. Bottom line is that a
tooth in the pressure plate FAILED and DESTROYED the inside of the clutch
area!!! THIS IS 100% WARRANTY COVERED DAMAGE! I have a feeling ALL OF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS!

I presented this evidence to my dealers GM. HE AGREED THAT IT SHOULD BE WARRANTY, and admitted he was informed by the VW rep that this IS A CONTINUOUS PROBLEM! He too is sick of VW and its treatment, even to him! However, VWOA still insists that the part is not covered under warranty!

Please, we need to get together. If we garner enough support, we can go
after VW, TOGETHER! There are LOTS of consumer advocate groups, and even the BBB to work with!

Go to these sites, and begin lodging complaints:
http://www.nhtsa.com
http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/
http://www.ftc.gov/
http://advocate.soundtrax.net/
http://www.fraud.org/

I would like for everyone to EMAIL me their story, and contact info @
aap28@comcast.net. I am gathering support to do this. I will not let
this go! Please, lets not allow ourselve to get defrauded any longer!

I thank you so much for your time! We will get what is ours, and we wont
allow this company to play us as fools...ANYMORE!

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Now do you see why I bash on VW and why rant on and on about bs like this and what happens when I do ,some body on this board FLAMES me and starts to mouth off...The point is VW does not back problems like this when they should!

TimHortons

TDI
2006 Golf TDI GLS
Got diesel said:
Now do you see why I bash on VW and why rant on and on about bs like this and what happens when I do ,some body on this board FLAMES me and starts to mouth off...The point is VW does not back problems like this when they should!
Peronsally, i am starting to think all MFG are like this. My experiences with Honda are the same as this poor guy has posted above, So far soo good on my VW. Hopefully all will turn out ok for you

paschalini

Veteran Member
Friends of ours bought an 06 Jetta late last year. They had the clutch plate replaced recently under some sort of VW recall (details are sketchy as my wife took the notes..). Anyway, the clutch "exploded" yesterday and the transmission is ruined to the tune of $4,900. Dealer says that this isn't covered as the clutch showed signs of being worn and some sort of "outside influence" helped destroy it.

Outside of the fact that our freinds 17 year old teen age boy has been driving the Jetta, I don't quite understand this. Any helpful hints out there?

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
TimHortons said:
Peronsally, i am starting to think all MFG are like this. My experiences with Honda are the same as this poor guy has posted above, So far soo good on my VW. Hopefully all will turn out ok for you
All MFG's ARE like that.....who's kidding who?!?

I've had that kind of problem with 2 Toyota's who are supposed to be excellent with regard to cust service/warranty and in both cases they refused to address the issues under warranty until I took to independant mechanic, got written documentation and submitted letters via lawyer stating we were going to sue......both times they took care of the problem ;)

Bottom line is that the burden is on the CONSUMER to PROVE that its a warranty issue.......the honeymoon is over once the car rolls off the lot kids and you're on your own.......face reality, be educated and be prepared to fight when necessary to get your dealer/VWoA to do the right thing

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I had a similar issue with VOA (Volvo of America) concerning an engine failure while under warrantee.

Nothing special about VW.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And a coworker of mine has a Honda, and has to fight with her stealer to get them to fix the issues that they said they were going to fix... and it's a CPO, even!

I do think all manufacturers are affected...

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
The only dealer I ever got great service from is Mitsubishi. They have replaced numerous things, including the antenna my wife broke off in a car wash, and a skidplate I banged up offroading to the point of leaking oil, on my Montero Sport for free. Wish they would bring a small diesel to the market that will give 40mpg+.

Konstruct Performance

TDI
none. 2.0t FTW
interesting.. I'm willing to bet that VWOA knows about the problem, but hasn't found a solution to it yet, so "officialy" its not warrenty because there is a slight chance its caused buy abuse. When they figure out whats causing it there will be a tech bullitin or recall depending on what the cause/fix/severity is. I've seen it happen with VW's before.. ALOT

for some examples
Passat tie rod ends
infamous window regulator clips
Coil packs
2.0l MAF sensors (trust me, way more problems then the diesels)

Most of which were customer pay when they first started braking. then turned into warrenty.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
paschalini said:
Friends of ours bought an 06 Jetta late last year. They had the clutch plate replaced recently under some sort of VW recall (details are sketchy as my wife took the notes..). Anyway, the clutch "exploded" yesterday and the transmission is ruined to the tune of $4,900. Dealer says that this isn't covered as the clutch showed signs of being worn and some sort of "outside influence" helped destroy it.

Outside of the fact that our freinds 17 year old teen age boy has been driving the Jetta, I don't quite understand this. Any helpful hints out there?
Outside of the fact that almost every car driven by a 17 year old boy gets grossly abused "to see what it'll do off the light" Best rule of thumb is to give a 17 year old boy a car thats ready to die, so they can expedite it to an early trip to the graveyard. Thats what kids do, destroy things. This is why they make such good soldiers... war is all about efficient destruction of instrastructure and transportation. Break things down so they can be rebuilt.

I think VW will make good with recall, it takes a while for a trend to develop before a recall gets put out.
All car manufacturers have problems with subcontractors and vendors and the quality of their product.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
hummm, clutch failures, yes at the dealer that i work we just had a NBcabrio in with 12k miles, and no clutch and was driven by young grils, first thought was well they misused clutch, at that time it was cust pay, untill trans was removed and clutch was checked, what we found was clutch disc(mfg by LUK) had gone to dust on flywheel side and all else looked ok, still looked like abuse, but cant prove it, after phoning VW rep it changed into waranty, WHY? 1. cant prove missuse, 2. low miles 3.its cheaper for VW to waranty clutch than to fight claim, RESULT, car fixed right, cust happy camper, and will return for service work when needed, end of story!! OH and the failed parts were sent back to waranty test center for insp, SOOOO!! maybe their is a problem with clutch supplyers parts and their may be a service bullitin soon, its just a matter of how many failures their are until a service action is required.

leemat

It happened to my wife this weekend but was able to limp it home. I put the car up on ramps and everything looked fine. Took the car off the rtamps and it drove fine for about 45 miles then just went this morning. As described above. I pushed in the cluctch felt a lurch and the clutch pedal does not work.

How did anyone get this resolved and have the dealer pay for labor and parts?

I have a o5 golf tdi w/ 24k and been drive manuals for 20+ years w/o one clutch issue.

leemat

It should be noted the cluctch felt fine during the 45 miles but was releasing close to the floor.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Why is this thread being revived? The original poster presented a rant over two months ago and has not posted since. In fact, this is his first and ONLY post. File this under Trolls...

leemat

owr084 said:
Why is this thread being revived? The original poster presented a rant over two months ago and has not posted since. In fact, this is his first and ONLY post. File this under Trolls...
Well, when facing a mechanical failure on a new car it is kind of hard to stomach a $2200.00 bill. This is 10% of the new cost of my car. I can tell this is a nice and friendly place to post. I can see why he has only posted once.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
leemat said:
Well, when facing a mechanical failure on a new car it is kind of hard to stomach a $2200.00 bill. This is 10% of the new cost of my car. I can tell this is a nice and friendly place to post. I can see why he has only posted once.
Leemat -

You really should have posted your problem in a new thread. My ire is directed not as much to you, but rather the originator of this thread. He posts a rant and then no more details. We want to help and you need to post your own thread - I'd recommend re-posting in TDI 101 or the Golf forums - "Other VW Group TDIs" really does not apply your car.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
leemat said:
Leemat, there are several open threads pertaining to failing clutches on new TDI's. In fact on one there is mention of a class action lawsuit. Apparantly there is a significant rate of failure of flywheels (stress fractures....mettalurgy issue not a wear and tear issue like clutchplate). Do a search and you'll find 'em.

Good luck!