Three beeps - no lights or codes

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
Twice in the last month my 99 Beetle has beeped three times. No lights on the dash, no codes according to SG2. The first time I was driving on the highway, engine almost up to temp I think. The most recent time was on a city street with a cold engine. Oil level seems ok. Was not making a hard turn in either case (set off oil pressure warning in my old mkIII under hard turn before). Any ideas?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My suggestion would be to find someone with a VCDS and see if it digs up any codes for you. Scangauge may not get more than OBD-II generic stuff. (Don't know, just conjecture on SG2.)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Do all the dash indicators illuminate with the car switched on,not running?

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
As far as I know they all do with the exception of the ABS light. I'm not sure if this car came equipped with that though (it certainly is not functioning). I will double check in the morning though.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My 2000 plate Seat tdi does that when the coolant or brake fluid is low but I do get a little red warning light too. Maybe worth checking the levels incase you have the same sort of system but the light's not working for some reason.:)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
As far as I know they all do with the exception of the ABS light. I'm not sure if this car came equipped with that though (it certainly is not functioning). I will double check in the morning though.
I'm gonna guess the beeps are calling attention to ABS, proceed as suggested in post #2

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I've not had any beeps when my abs wasn't working and I haven't seen it on any of my friends vw's (98 99 and a 2000 model) when they've had abs issues. Only the coolant and brake fluid levels but maybe they're different in the states.:)