Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

fnord

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 115K
Adding another positive in the column for Turbinewhine in Asheville NC. I drove over 200 miles to have Daniel do a TB job on my golf, and it was well worth the drive. These guys are gurus and enthusiasts that really took the time to do right to my car, and let me watch and ask questions about the procedure so that I can (hopefully) do the job myself next time. If you're within driving distance, these guys are trusted mechs for sure.

TDI
1998 & 2000 New Beetle; 2000 Jetta
TDI Mechanic in Santa Cruz/Bay Area

Jamos said:
Who can people suggest to bring an '06 Jetta TDi to in the Bay Area, CA?
Specifically the East Bay; Berkeley/Oakland area...

I looked at the map and listings, and saw only one option in San Pablo.

There have got to be some experts with all the TDi's running around here.
There is also Good Guys Diesel & Bio Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA
www.goodguysbiodiesel.com

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
Looking to be added to the Member Recommended Mechanics List or have someone you want added?

There are many that ask how does one get on this list.
I will do my best here to help you understand what it takes.
After reading this, if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

First and foremost this is not a list for any and all mechanics.

If you are a TDIClub Vendor, this does not mean you bypass the rules below.

It's for Member Recommended Mechanics, specifically TDI Specialty mechanics.

The formula to qualify for this list is quite simple.
You must prove competent in repair & maintenance of our baby's that we paid a lot of hard earned money for.
You must use the right tools.
You must do things BY THE BOOK as VW intended.
This means using the right tools.

Secondly, you must not go replacing a turbo thinking its going to fix the car. You need to KNOW it's going to fix it. This is our hard earned money, remember? If the turbo is truely the problem, does the whole thing need replaced? This is an assembly. This means lots of parts on there that could be replaced rather than the whole assembly.

We look for member vouches on a mechanic to get on this list. How many we need may vary. If we have a high level technician on the forum here that refers a mechanic, chances are its going straight on the list. Otherwise we need more than one person to give a good word.

If you are referring, please be sure to have the confidence in whether this mechanic is doing things by the book and using the right tools. This means you gotta have knowledge of the manufacture's procedures yourself.

Also, be descriptive on why you are referring. Be sure to cite facts on proving to us this person should be on the list. Let us know what the symptoms were, what work was done, what tools were used, how much was charged. Does this shop specialize in only TDI’s, all European, any car on the road type shop.

Please utilize the following format when listing the shop:
ABC Shop
123 Road
City, State Zip-code
(123) 456-7890
ABC@shop.com
Any short blurb you may feel is relevant for the list

BTW, please post this rather than private message so others may comment.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
jwlionking said:
Looking to be added to the Trusted Mechanics List or have someone you want added?

There are many that ask how does one get on this list.
I will do my best here to help you understand what it takes.
After reading this, if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

First and foremost this is not a list for any and all mechanics.

If you are a TDIClub Vendor, this does not mean you bypass the rules below.

It's for Trusted Mechanics, specifically TDI Specialty mechanics.

The formula to qualify for this list is quite simple.
You must prove competent in repair & maintenance of our baby's that we paid a lot of hard earned money for.
You must use the right tools.
You must do things BY THE BOOK as VW intended.
This means using the right tools.

Secondly, you must not go replacing a turbo thinking its going to fix the car. You need to KNOW it's going to fix it. This is our hard earned money, remember? If the turbo is truely the problem, does the whole thing need replaced? This is an assembly. This means lots of parts on there that could be replaced rather than the whole assembly.

We look for member vouches on a mechanic to get on this list. How many we need may vary. If we have a high level technician on the forum here that refers a mechanic, chances are its going straight on the list. Otherwise we need more than one person to give a good word.

If you are referring, please be sure to have the confidence in whether this mechanic is doing things by the book and using the right tools. This means you gotta have knowledge of the manufacture's procedures yourself.

Also, be descriptive on why you are referring. Be sure to cite facts on proving to us this person should be on the list. Let us know what the symptoms were, what work was done, what tools were used, how much was charged. Does this shop specialize in only TDI’s, all European, any car on the road type shop.

Please utilize the following format when listing the shop:
ABC Shop
123 Road
City, State Zip-code
(123) 456-7890
ABC@shop.com
Any short blurb you may feel is relevant for the list
Thank you, thank you! Very nice explanation.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Chicago Area TDI'ers

Mobile One, Inc.
2010 Lehigh Ave. Unit F
Glenview, IL 60026

847-724-7097

http://www.mobileoneinc.com/

Jason is the shop owner and he knows his stuff. He did my 6 speed swap and a Timing belt job while he had the car and it runs great.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TDI
1998 & 2000 New Beetle; 2000 Jetta
Please add us thought we were already on the list. Charlie @ Kerma TDI can vouch for us.

GoodGuy's Diesel & Bio Mechanics
1191 Water St
Santa Cruz Ca 95062
(831)469-8715

Everything from Mild to wild TDI's
Timing belts,tunes,nozzles ECT....
Ask for Shaz

Larry in TN

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GL
I want to add another recommendation for German Performance Options in Nashville, TN.

German Performance Options
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, TN 37210
(615) 248-9466

Jerry (GPOJerry) was very helpful when I talked to him last week prior to buying a 2002 Jetta TDI GL (92k). He was able to answer a number of questions that I had in evaluating the car I was considering. This week I brought the car in for a pre-buy which Doug completed while I waited. They were thorough, even catching a flat spare tire (which looked fine) in the trunk. Yesterday, Joey completed the list of repairs including the 100k timing belt and associated items, a wiper switch, #3 glow plug, flat spare tire, and a few miscellaneous items. They even got a new wheel cover shipped in from Knoxville overnight for a good price. All three of them seemed to know the car and TDI engine very well.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
goodguysbiodiesel said:
Please add us thought we were already on the list. Charlie @ Kerma TDI can vouch for us.

GoodGuy's Diesel & Bio Mechanics
1191 Water St
Santa Cruz Ca 95062
(831)469-8715

Everything from Mild to wild TDI's
Timing belts,tunes,nozzles ECT....
Ask for Shaz
I have added your shop to the map. JW manages the list in the first post of this thread.

mareprops

TDI
Jetta 2003
I second

Mobile One, Inc.
2010 Lehigh Ave. Unit F
Glenview, IL 60026

Yes it can get expensive but there is no one else who can do or knows European cars like Jason (in the area). I wanted to change my tranny, he told me the seal for the shifter was bad and the clutch and saved me from buying a whole new tranny. Then kept all the old parts to show me, and is just nice to work with. Only one in north Chicago area that can work on my car! He also vag-coms.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
After reading a couple threads and posts I figured that you were talking about Mike. He's the only one I know of.

elcabro

TDI
2006 Golf TDI
Jackson Hole, WY

Just moved to Jackson, WY, and am looking for a TDI mechanic. I can't find reference to any Wyoming mechanics in this thread. Does anybody know of a trusted mechanic near Jackson Hole or Victor, ID? Thanks!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
elcabro said:
Just moved to Jackson, WY, and am looking for a TDI mechanic. I can't find reference to any Wyoming mechanics in this thread. Does anybody know of a trusted mechanic near Jackson Hole or Victor, ID? Thanks!
Contact Drivbiwire in Boise for any TDI-specific issues like timing belts, injection systems, turbos, etc.

stevneil

My daughter had a great experience with Brett of Eurowerks in Columbus. Her 03 Jetta sedan broke down while visiting for the holidays 2009-2010; her brother-in-law told her that it sounded like the timing belt had slipped - end of the world.

She checked out the trusted mechanics list here (the map is the coolest!) Called three of them. Actually got to talk to somebody at Eurowerks first call so they towed it over to Brett's place.

Brett said - Nope, nothing but a bad pulley on the alternator. Brett's shop rate was very reasonable and got them back on the road the next day.

145k on the alternator so the pulley lasted longer than most it sounds like.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Justin9212 said:
I hope they add him to this list he deserves it.
Please see the format in the first post, fill in the blanks, and make an official recommendation. I can't just put "Mike Evo Dude" on the map somewhere in western New York. ;)

Justin9212

TDI
2000 Jetta GL 5spd
VeeDubTDI said:
Please see the format in the first post, fill in the blanks, and make an official recommendation. I can't just put "Mike Evo Dude" on the map somewhere in western New York. ;)
PM sent :)

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
Good News :
1) List has been updated with a lot of changes
2) List is getting Bigger and Bigger!

Bad News :
1) We outgrew two posts

Please bear with me till I come up with another solution.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
jw, how about using Google Docs and sharing it with everyone (but not adding them as collaborators)?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just updated greengeeker's location to be Maple Grove, MN.

Reactions: Ton