1st gen Tacoma ALH

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I flew out to Reno last week and drove this Taco back to VT. One of the best weeks of my life. My good friend since forever met me out there, and we had a grand old time.

My friend Matt out on Rt50 in Nevada.

1996 Truck, 3rz, 5 speed 4x4.

Its a bit of a beater, but completely rust free. Has some shady paint work, but the bones are perfect for what I want. I totally fell in love with it over the trip. I think this might be the perfect vehicle for my life and location.

Not too exciting, but I am going to put a lightly tuned ALH tdi in here and daily it. Right now I am just getting all the suspension and chassis stuff in order. Planning to start the swap next winter.

I already have EV1Guy's adapter plate.

Got the front end apart in my shop now getting tightened up and installing some adjustable bilsteins. Going to slap some better wheels and tires on it, add some helper bags to the rear and a legit trailer hitch.

Very clean engine bay for a 22 year old truck with 200k.

As I start thinking a bit more about it, I will probably post a list of the basic plan for comments by those veterans who have done this swap before. This is certainly not my first engine swap or TDI conversion, and I am excited to dig in and make it happen.

Last edited:

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Did you figure out how to resize them in imgur? Just need to click the pencil in the top corner of the thumbnail. I want to see how this turns out, should be good.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you figure out how to resize them in imgur? Just need to click the pencil in the top corner of the thumbnail. I want to see how this turns out, should be good.
Hey thanks, I think I got it now!

I have had the truck in the shop all last week to do a few things.
-new bilstein height adjustable shocks in the front
-bilstein HD shocks in the back
-added firestone helper air bags for the rear
-new lower control arm bushings
-new sway bar end links
-power steering pump
-fixed a bunch of random broken interior bits
-installed some new wheels and tires (will get pics when it back outside, looks sweet!
-installed mudflaps

I also have completely filled the frame, all cross members, all body cavities etc with Fluid Film. I have put 4 gallons on and in the truck thus far, and will probably use the rest of the 5 gallon pail before I am done. I want this truck to stay rust free if possible. (A very tall, and maybe impossible, order here in VT).

I plan to use the truck this summer since I am building a house, and a truck would be very handy. I would like to do the swap over next winter.

Last edited:

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
FluidFilm is a neat idea. Not sure how much I trust it to hang around in certain areas (wheel wells) but I like how it wicks it's way into nooks n' crannies paint won't touch.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I'll be watching this build too. I had a 1995.5 regular cab that begged me for an ALH but I sold it before anything materialized. I love 1st gen Tacos!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
FluidFilm is a neat idea. Not sure how much I trust it to hang around in certain areas (wheel wells) but I like how it wicks it's way into nooks n' crannies paint won't touch.
Yes, it washes off in high spray areas within one winter for sure. I basically try to soak everything so it can get into all the pinch welds before water and salt does. I hope that by soaking the back of the fenders, inside the rockers, inside all the cross members and frame rails, the fluid film is what is sitting on the metal, so when the road spray and dirt eventually settle there, it has a protective barrier. I assume my frame rails will still get rust on them from the outside in the high spray areas, but I don't think that is what kills toyotas.

It takes a lot of hours to apply fluid film the way I do and its really messy and hard work. My thought is that i will give it a quick respray in the spring and fall every year.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Below is my brainstorming list of the hardware for the project. I would really appreciate any feedback. I appreciate those who have documented the trials and tribulations of these swaps, and made the road easier for those who are following. I have watched Jimbote's swap since the beginning, and its success is one of the major reasons I have been wanting to do this. So, thank you!

I want to build a daily driver truck that I will use for normal truck things. I would hope it moves a bit better than the 3rz, but I do not need it to be fast by any means. As long as it remains at least as functional as the 3rz, I will be happy.

Here is my basic plan:

-Engine will be an ALH running a factory computer
-Transmission with be the stock unit in the tacoma
-adapter is from EV1Guy
-Axle gearing will remain stock
Here are some things I am wondering about/need to figure out. If anyone has any suggestions, i would really appreciate it.
-Turbo- I am thinking 1749va. The placement is good, and they are available for quite cheap. I know this is barely an upgrade over the stock vnt15, but I think that is ok.
-DLC1019 injectors (or equivalent?)
-probably a 10mm pump, unless an 11mm falls in my lap
-good front mount air to air intercooler
-safe/somewhat conservative tune to match hardware.

-I am hoping to mimick Jimbote's clutch setup using the larger v6 clutch disk and PP with a 22re type flywheel and 22re bell housing. I am also considering using the LC engineering 35lb 22re flywheel. Either way, the flywheel step will need to be machined to match the diameter of the bigger clutch disk.

-I am hoping to use the tacoma radiator with electric fan(s) added. The rad in the truck is new, and it must have enough capacity. Not sure what others have done here

-Oil pan, i dont plan on a lift or body lift, so I will likely have to custom build the pan or modify a pan quite a bit. This is ok, not too bad of a task.

-engine mounts: I was thinking of using some mounts recommended by Hasenwork. I have also considered audi hydraulic mounts. I used these on my audi swap, and the vibrations are pretty mild with them. They are not super cheap, however.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
all your plans seem solid, stock radiator is fine and is what i used until it started leaking from an upper tank crack, then i replaced it with a v6 unit (not required)... also what is your stock gearing ?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not sure of my gearing, it feels too high for the 3rz, but it seems like it is about perfect for a TDI. I will have to check what it is.

I am hoping to use all of the VW accessories including the AC compressor. After glancing under the hood, it looks like they might fit? I assume this is not possible since it looks like most people doing this swap have relocated the accessories.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
i kept all my ALH accessories functional with the exception of the compressor... for AC i used the toyota compressor with a combination of a B5 tdi compressor bracket and a custom simple interface bracket between the B5 part and the toy compressor... i still use the stock ALH accessory belt routing with an old gutted vw compressor as an idler and an extra pulley bolted to the balancer to run the toyota unit

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
i kept all my ALH accessories functional with the exception of the compressor... for AC i used the toyota compressor with a combination of a B5 tdi compressor bracket and a custom simple interface bracket between the B5 part and the toy compressor... i still use the stock ALH accessory belt routing with an old gutted vw compressor as an idler and an extra pulley bolted to the balancer to run the toyota unit
Ok, I see. Is there a compatibility issue between the Toyota AC system and the VW compressor that does not allow use of the VW compressor?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Ok, I see. Is there a compatibility issue between the Toyota AC system and the VW compressor that does not allow use of the VW compressor?
probably, the toyota is a fixed displacement the vw is a variable displacement, it was just easier to adapt the toyota compressor to the engine, did not have to make new lines or even evacuate the refrigerant, the toyota also uses an "AC computer" so i did not want to deal with compatibility issues there either

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a good approach. I never thought about adding another pulley to the balancer and running a separate belt. Did you custom machine that or was it some kind of VW application?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Yea, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a good approach. I never thought about adding another pulley to the balancer and running a separate belt. Did you custom machine that or was it some kind of VW application?
pulley is from an unknown hyundai with a custom machined aluminum adapter

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
cool. thanks for the insights! I think I can probably brew up something similar.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been thinking about my clutch and flywheel setup. I am looking to mimic Jimbote's setup (and correct me if I am wrong). It is a later 22re flywheel with the 9 1/4" diameter raised step machined flat, then remachined to the same height step, but in a larger diameter to match the size of the v6 toyota clutch disk. The v6 pressure plate bolts to the flywheel and the dowel pins are the same.

I have not held any of these parts in my hand, so I am only reiterating what I have gotten from the internet and other's project threads.

I am thinking i could use this LCE 35lb 22re flywheel, and re-machine the 9 1/4" step to match the larger v6 disk and end up with a heavier flywheel.

https://www.lceperformance.com/High-Torque-Flywheel-20R-22R-RE-RET-35lb-Steel-p/1051018.htm

I have a friend who is a life long machinist (been doing it for 50 years). He has a large lathe and we looked over my swap, adapter plate and talked about my flywheel idea. He was confident he could get it chucked into his good lathe and machine that step like I am describing.

Jim, I am wondering what kind of tool was used to do your clutch machine work. I have a lathe, and would not be confident that I could make that step perfectly co-planar to the mounting surface.

I think professional machine shops resurface flywheels with a grinder of some sort, but I don't know if they could rework the step like I need?

I am not sure if the surface a lathe leaves is good for a flywheel either, and I dont want to ruin a new $350 flywheel.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
mine was a new flywheel remachined on a lathe, most new flywheels have a lathe machined friction surface ... the only time I would NOT recommend this is if the flywheel is used and has hot spots, because the hotspots can resist machining and remain above surface level.... as to your question about the late 22RE flywheels being compatible with the V6 clutch: the dowel pins are in the exact same location and the bolt holes are in the exact same location as the 5vzfe 10" units

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect. That makes good sense. My only remaining question on that: do you think it's worth 350 bucks to start with a 35lb LCE flywheel?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I cant say anything on the toyota stuff but I have a larger diameter 30lb flywheel on my swap and while I haven't drove it yet I can say that there is absolutely no gear chatter at all and it idles smoother than my golf with a vw smf.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
not a lot to report. I finished my complete suspension makeover, added some new wheels and tires, some hella driving lights to aid with not hitting deer, added a skid plate as the factory stuff was missing, scrounged up a factory jack kit/OEM spare tire, added a class 3 trailer hitch, replaced all the ball joints, power steering pump, had the truck aligned, added airbags to the rear etc.

Been enjoying having a truck to navigate mud season in Vermont and to use to haul building materials for my house project. On the hunt for mk4 doner cars as I want to complete the swap over the next winter.

I bought a complete new set of OEM mud flaps with all brackets and hardware, which was really extravagant, but I felt like the truck needed them, and I couldnt make the cheapo aftermarket flaps work right and look right.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Found the engine for my swap. Got a running 2001 ALH jetta with a flakey automatic trans. The car starts up alight, but stumbles for a couple seconds but otherwise runs very well with no codes. Sort of seems like the glow plugs are not working. Hopefully the 11mm pump is good on it. It runs smooth and no smoke, turbo spools up and it seems to have plenty of power.

towing with the 3rz 4 banger is pretty funny. I did a little bit of twin stick shifting through the transfer case on hill starts.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
nothing exciting to report, other than I had a strange issue yesterday that nearly torched this truck. Went to start it, and the starter turns half a revolution, stops and smoke starts pouring out from under the hood. Popped the hood and found both battery cables red hot and the battery posts and plastic starting to melt! I had tools with me and got the ground off somehow. It was really only about 15 seconds, but I thought that I might end up with a burned truck or an exploded battery in my face. Pretty scary. I got a nasty burn on my thumb from ripping the ground off.

I figured the starter must have shorted to ground internally. I tore all the wiring out in the parking lot and rigged up a jumper from the alternator to the battery and fuse box, pushed her down a hill, bump started it and went about my day. Ran a bunch of errands and just left it running everywhere.

Pulled the starter, and it was dead shorted inside the solenoid. Rebuilt the main wiring and put in a NAPA reman starter.....which of course has a faulty bendix, and only works one out of every four tries.....Back to the parts store.

Glad the truck didnt burn. I did not have a fire extinguisher with me.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
it was lucky! Kind of a freak occurrence, and I was really glad I had my tools right there on the front seat, and remembered I needed a 10mm to get the battery cable loose. Could not have been any faster response time.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
hey Dana,

looks like a fun project for sure! I`ll keep an eye on this...but ahm house isn't done yet?! too much snowboarding?

how's the Audi kicking around?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Emil, Should be a fun project!

The house is not done, but I just keep plugging away. Doing sheetrock now.

The engine is out of the Audi, it was burning oil badly. Turns out it was coming from the valve seals, not sure why they were leaking so badly. Have not had the time to tear into the head and figure out why. It was either my porting job, or the stage 3 cam and too much lift.

I have a nice, unmolested head that is going to go back on the audi, and then I will be selling it. Time to move on.

dsldubn

TDI
'82 Rabbit with 1Z swap
been a while....and I just stumbled upon this thread. Any progress?