View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:13   #55
trossbutler

Fuel Economy: I strive for 100 MPG (and fail)
Default Just some follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaTDiPA View Post
I am sure road & traffic conditions play into all of this- seemingly the smallest about of throttle required to obtain required speed is most efficient.

Aircraft typically stay at fuel throttle until a safe altitude is obtained (Altitude is your best friend in departure)

Throttle is then reduced at safe altitude then set at a rate of climb that burns the least throttle.
Like auto, much depends on conditions (and traffic control instruction).
Airline industry has performed much research and trial to ascertain the most fuel efficiency.
Does this relate to a TDI? I don't know.
Just my two cents, with the different post (not just this one) on TDi’s compared to Aircraft and the acceleration fast or slow debate.
The new norm in aviation, (Turbo fan aircraft) Embraer, Bombardier, and Boeing is a reduced thrust (Flex), or “de-rate” thrust take-off. Embraer uses a built in T/O-1, or T/O-2, A FADEC calculated reduction in thrust per the current condition (1=10% 2= 20% reduction). Boeing & Bombardier use an “assumed temperature” to get the FADEC’s or EEC’s to perform a reduction in take off thrust. Boeing also has flat reduction rates similar to Embraer called T/O 1 & T/O 2 combined with CLB 1/ CLB 2, 1=10% reduction 2=20% reduction. The 747 Dream lifter can even perform a “double de-rate”.
Now that I just inundated you with pilot nonsense, bottom line slower starts are better. Lower temperatures save on maintenance & wear. The higher the temps the more general wear the engine experiences.
The other point is that yes, aircraft do want to expedite their climb to cruising altitude, but for very different purpose. The higher up in altitude you go the lower the drag, due to lower air density. The engine performs better (lower air density, reduces the fuel used per the fuel air ratio require up high). And the colder temperatures at altitude reduce engine wear from heat.
The only way to mimic the benefits the aviation industry has developed IMOHO, is to start off the line slower, reduce drag (following a truck, no roof racks, etc.), and the good old classic Idle downhill coast to a stop.
The above are all exactly what most hyper-millers preach, and other than driving from the low lands up to the top of a mountain (take advantage of lower air density), that’s about all we can do, less modifications etc.
Cheers,

Page generated in 0.06718 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.52 Kb. compressed to 15.98 Kb. by saving 1.55 Kb. (8.83%)]