View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:21   #15
T'sTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default What Have We Accomplished?

What have we accomplished??

We have fooled the ECU by eliminating the process of retarding timing for a higher temperature fuel (less dense but in the case of WVO untrue) and at the same time, we are injecting 185 degree WVO at a timing degree amount of diesel fuel at 68 degrees. We accomplished the best case scenario for burning vegetable oil in a TDI. Without this modification, your ECU views the fuel your burning (WVO) as a fuel with very little density (thin) and therefore to compensate, retards timing. WVO even heated is still more dense then diesel fuel and would require advanced timing to achieve adequate combustion efficiency.

Retarded timing causes less time for the WVO (an inherently thicker fuel of lower cetane value which is not prone to combust easily) to combust. Combustion efficiency would be sacrificed due to this and therefore, a complete burn would not be possible. Incomplete burn = tiny molecules of WVO that love to polymerize and coke on relative cool spots in the combustion chamber. You guessed it, a major problem. Relative cool spots in the combustion chamber include tips of the injector nozzle’s and glow plugs. This is why people say to pull your glow plugs and observe the tips for any WVO residue. If there is WVO residue present, chances are you got a problem due to incomplete combustion of WVO. If polymerization is occurring on injector nozzle tips, this is a major problem. Coking of nozzle orifices (the holes in the nozzle) results in poor atomization. Remember, WVO has a low cetane value and therefore, not readily to combust. Injector nozzle orifices that are compromised would result in poorer atomization and therefore the opportunity for even less combustion efficiency. The worst case scenario would be coking to the point of injector streaming. Basically the injector would not be doing its job of atomizing the fuel and it would be dribbling fuel on a constant basis. This would cause the fuel to not combust fully and eventually would accumulate enough into burning a hole in the top of a piston.
And what if you were running an EGR while this was happening? The poor atomization would cause more WVO molecules being re-circulated through the intake tract and therefore more intake clogging. This would lead to less air available for combustion but fueling would stay the same. This means even less combustion efficiency and eventually, blowing up your engine. Understand what I mean when I say, the WVO burning process can be a very slippery slope; however, we can prevent this from happening.
This whole scenario above is strictly unique to the VW rotary TDI. I know for absolute certain is applies to the 99.5-03 TDI, any early ones or the PD engine, I am unsure of. My guess it would be different for the PD because it’s an entirely new fuel system and that the earlier TDI would have a similar process of injecting fuel beings it uses similar nozzles.

The resistor caused a CEL on my car that went away when I deleted it with a scanner. Much like the EGR argument made above, the benefits of the fuel resistor modification exceed the drawbacks of a CEL. I have deleted the CEL and it has never come back so it is not a reoccurring code like the EGR code is.

How this was discovered?

I figured this out using probably the best indicators of combustion efficiency out there, an EGT gauge (exhaust gas temperature). For those that don’t know, an EGT gauge measures the temperature of exhaust gases. Basically this is a measurement of the temperature of the byproducts of combustion. Incomplete combustion results in higher EGTs because more molecules of fuel are not being used as energy for combustion. More complete combustion results in lower EGT’s because all molecules of the fuel are being used strictly as energy for combustion. This can be applied to the power enhancement section of any diesel. The goal of a diesel tuner is to achieve a “grey haze” when a diesel is at WOT (wide open throttle). This means that the ratio of fuel to air is near perfect and thus, the most amount of power your car will make without further air modifications. A “black cloud” means over fueling, high EGT’s and poor combustion efficiency.
So lets apply this theory to that of burning WVO. Prior to the fuel temp resistor mod, I noticed that my EGT’s were running 50-100 deg hotter in situations where I would expect them to be much lower. I also noticed my car to not have as much “pep” when I got into the throttle (designation of retarded timing and not as complete of combustion). After the fuel temp resistor mod, my power came back and my EGT’s are the same.
I cannot stress the importance of the fuel temperature resistor modification enough. Burning WVO comes down to two things, atomization and combustion. These are two easy words to say, but hard to achieve when there are tons of variables that affect it. Timing is a direct related factor of combustion. Bottom line, retarded timing = a bad thing. Low cetane fuels (WVO) are less prone to combust and therefore need advanced timing to compensate, we just learned this above. The fuel temp resistor modification prevents the unwanted affects of retarded timing and returns timing to what a car would operate at 68 degree diesel fuel temps. Timing changes on a continual basis; however, my highway log of timing (requested vs. actual) never registered anything below 0 deg (ATDC after top dead center). The typical range was anywhere from .5 deg – 2.5 deg (BTDC before top dead center) through use of cruise control. This is what we want to achieve.

WVO no More 187k

Page generated in 0.07306 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 19.59 Kb. compressed to 18.11 Kb. by saving 1.49 Kb. (7.59%)]