View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:15   #6
T'sTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Fallacy and Elsbett Conversion

FALLACY #1
The kits provided above do not provide the means of burning WVO for the long term. Modifications are a MUST to a TDI engine to ensure the utmost confidence in long term success. This information is not released to you, they run a business, they sell a kit, and it works, but not for the long term.

Coincidentally…..
There are people on this forum and other forums that have burned WVO successfully for over 100k with just a bare minimum kit that I described above. I am amazed by this personally. My thought process on this was as follows, “If I can do more than the minimum that is only giving me a better opportunity at success.” I will leave that choice to you, a bare minimum kit and the above directions will get you a car that runs WVO. Personally if I was to go that route, I would have NO confidence in the long term.

This guide is written as a means to go “above the call of duty.” That’s what I did and that’s what I am writing this guide to describe. The choice all rests with you.

The Fallacy stated above flows into the next manufactures kit, Elsbett. Elsbett is a German company who designs VO kits with much success. Take note that I said VO and VO only. Even though people burn WVO with an Elsbett kit, Elsbett only warranties the kit for use with pure, virgin oil. Good luck with honoring the warranty if anything goes wrong, I’m just stating the facts. Elsbett’s design is unique in two different ways compared to the above other kits:
http://gallery.biofuels.coop/photoga...&g2_itemId=509
1. Elsbett is a single tank conversion (pour in your main tank)
2. Elsbett addresses more than just a kit, they address atomization and combustion

The components of an Elsbett kit include the following:
Injector Nozzles ß address atomization and combustion
Glow plugs ß address atomization and combustion
Coolant heat Exchanger (similar to a FPHE)
Electric Filter heater
Fuel Lines and Fittings
Oil Temp Sender
Relays

As far as I know, the injectors are supplied with a different nozzle that has a different spray pattern compared to the ordinary TDI nozzle. I have to take their word on this as there is very little scholarship regarding the nozzle. Obviously, this seems to be a trade secret so they would hide this pretty well. The second step is they increase the popping pressures of the nozzles by roughly 10 bar. The popping pressures in injectors have to do with how much pressure is needed to “pop” the injectors and allow them to spray into the combustion chamber. This would increase stress on the injection pump, but would cause better atomization of a thicker fuel due to higher pressures.

For what it’s worth, injector nozzles should be pop tested roughly every 100k even on diesel fuel. It is not too common because diesel fuel is very thin and you can get away with a nozzle not popping adequately; however, on WVO this is a different story. Popping pressures need to be the same across all four nozzles to ensure adequate atomization for combustion and burning properties.

Since the Elsbett kit is a single tank conversion, you pour the oil directly into your main tank. The advantage of this is you never have to wait to flip a switch, you are always burning VO. As much as this is an advantage, this is a huge disadvantage. Because you are always burning VO, you are also burning VO on startup when the engine has yet to reach operating temperature. Piston rings have not expanded, the combustion chamber is cold and the VO is not heated at all. Good luck to you trying to atomize this properly. People have reported that the extended glow plug length time will help this. To make this as simple as possible, if your car is not smoking out the exhaust pipe on startup, you are acquiring a complete burn (or as complete as the engine design will allow). However, this does not change the fact that you are starting on cold oil on a cold engine. This scenario is what causes piston ring coking, injector nozzle coking, contamination of engine oil and stress on every fuel system component. Cold oil is like molasses and your injection pump is forced to pressurize molasses to be injected into the tiny orifices of the nozzles. CAN YOU SAY STRESS???

Other aspect of the Elsbett system is you need to blend different fuels (diesel, kerosene) when the weather gets cold. On the contrary, when the weather is hot, it is much more possible to run close to 100% VO. You have to pay close attention to combustion and smoking. If this is occurring, your percentage blend of VO to diesel is too high.

Interestingly enough, Elsbett has had great success over the years they have been in business and have been in business for the longest.

FACT #1
No kit in America addresses combustion related issues in the direct injected diesel engine. Elsbett, a German company, is the only company to address issues related to combustion. Coincidentally, they are the one manufacture with the most amount of long term success….

Hmmm…. Can you put two and two together???

WVO no More 187k

Page generated in 0.09353 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 19.56 Kb. compressed to 18.07 Kb. by saving 1.49 Kb. (7.60%)]