Winter tires, whos put them on?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I am taking off the winter tires and need some new summer/all-season tires. I'm looking at Michelin Harmony ($450), Michelin Primacy ($500) and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position ($400). Any recommendations?
For that car, I'd recommend Hydro Edges. I got over 95-100K out of my last set on my '03 Jetta!!!

I can probably milk another 2-4K out of my all seasons that I got with my '09. A set of 225/45 17" Michelin Primacy is looking to be about $850 out the door :eek:

I knew I should have taken the dealer on the option to swap out for 16" wheels...

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Man am I ever glad I didn't take the snows off when Ma Nature teased us last week and earlier this. The better part of a foot of heavy, wet, sleety, icy snow and 30 MPH winds gave my Snow Panzer a real test this AM just getting back home from an all nighter of fun in the plow truck. Hope no one in the Great White (again) North got caught with their snows down (so to speak :D) It's not over yet!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I took mine off a couple weeks ago, and just put them back on tonight - Supposed to get 1-2" of "wintery mix" through the weekend. North of us got the big ammounts of snow, but all the icy stuff is right around the Milwaukee area. Keeps it interesting :)

ctsoh

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, 2002 New Beetle TDI, Blue
I take mine off when it hit 60 degrees last week. Running on snow/ice tires at temps of 60 or higher will wear them off quickly. I try to get 5 to 6 years off a set of tires.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Yeah, I hear ya there but taking them off too early and sliding off into the wild white yonder kinda defeats the purpose. :eek: Up here I wait until into April anyway. The wear from those last few weeks isn't that bad. I've had the Nokians for 5 seasons and the Green Diamonds for 7 now with many more miles left in them.

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
I ended up taking mine off last Thursday because i had to drive from st. Paul, MN to Marysville, OH. It was warm enough and it hasn't snowed since so I will leave them off now.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I guess it's time to fire this thread back up for the Fall of '11. I just got done putting the Blizzaks back on Liath in anticipation of nasty weather to come. Checked my records, and as mentioned earlier in this thread I put them on on 11/13 of last year, so I guess I'm a day early this year. Also, what is the concensus on higher pressure vs. lower pressure makes winter tires work better/last longer? I have been running about 40 psi and am curious about other people's experiences. Everybody drive safe!

Dan

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I'm just running my Conti Extreme DWS 16" year 'round as we generally don't get many major snowfalls. I've been really happy with 'em!! 34psi front, 32psi rear.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I usually try to wait until after Thanksgiving, in order to save 700 miles of wear on them going from MI to WI and back via Chicago. But this year, with the summer cooling down earlier than usual, I'm keeping an eye on the weather and may install them sooner.

TDI
Hey Dean, just had the orange trucks out in anger ;) for the first time this season Friday last. There was a few inches of the white stuff in places around here :eek::eek: I'll be putting mine on both cars a little early this year. NWS is saying colder and wetter this season, oh goodie! :rolleyes:

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I'm trying to decide if I want to see how my stock Bridgestone's perform. I don't hold much hope. Thinking based on what I've read going with Nokian's WRG2s all seasons. Waukegan Tires can get and offers a little disc to Abbott employees. For at least as long as I'm Abbott. Grrrrr split off. Anyone try to winter with the Bridgestone's around here? Any advice. Wait or dump?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I don't install or sell them but Erik the Sales manager for Masters Building Supply, the business in from of me is a seller. Order by wed and have them the following tues. I can get some prices from him. You'd have to come get them and pay in advance.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
That's a great idea. If we could get an awesome price on winter tires for the northern states. I'm only left with 16" wheels, what deals can you come up with?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
General Altimax Arctic

These are great long wearing snows for sure. I have them on my Yukon, my sister has them on her Honda, my mother has them on a Passat 4motion and about 70 clients run them.

Cheap to boot.

FWIW these tires were the Verdenstein (sp) Nordfrost 3. Continental Group absorbed them and moved the tooling to Germany and relabled them for General.
That is good to know. I bought some General Altimax Arctics already mounted on 15" steel wheels, for a good price off of CraigsList. The seller claimed he used them last winter, but I think he must have driven his other (4WD) car most of the time, because the tires look practically new.

I am waiting to actually see a flake or two before I switch from the summer rubber.

jasonTDI

TDI
I like the Altimax Arctics.

My Yukon has them and so do a TON of clients. They are about 40% less than the Nokians price wise. They are VERY good in the snow. An EPIC improvement over all-season tires. That said the RIGHT Nokian is 20% better than these. I'm referring to winter use tires. The WRG2 is better than an all season and about 20% less than the Altimax. There has to be some compromise if you use it year round.

TDI
After this AM's drive into Traverse City, (icy, snowy ditch idiots in abundance) Fair Wifey called the local tire shop and made an appointment to have the snows put on this PM. Not bad, it seems the middle of Nov. is the norm up here for "alls I can stand and I can't stands no more!" coming from her in relation to driving conditions and the snowtire installation. Gotta start looking for some decent all-seasons to replace the originals next Spring now, getting down to the wear bars. :eek:

TDIMcChanic

TDI
02 Jetta
I'll put em on as soon as I see snow in the forecast! I'm running the Michelin X-ice, 90% tread and work awesome.

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
I need to find some winter tires, but i think it is to late all the prices have gone way up. I was looking to get the Kumho KW19 or KW22's, but no one has them except Canada and they are ~$150 each.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My early impression is that the Altimax Arctic tires cause a fuel mileage penalty of about 4 mpg. I pumped up the pressure to 40 psi (90% of max) and hope to get back some of the lost fuel economy.

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Just decided on putting some dedicated snows on this year. At first I thought it would be easy, just go to the store and buy some Blizzak's but after doing some research all I can say is my head is spinning. There are way more options out there than I thought. I live in SE MI and have a 75 mile round trip commute to work. I also snowmobile so I will take the car to northern MI to our cabin. I'm looking for mostly a snow/slush type of tire but 80% of the driving will be done on dry roads.
Here is the list I've come up with so far.
Blizzak WS70
Nokian R (pricey though..)
Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D

I've also heard good things about the Continental Extremewintercontact and the General Altimax Arctic. These last two companies I tend to shy away from, we had horrible luck with a set of Conti Oem tires on my wifes Caliber and aren't General's a very very low end tire company ?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FWIW these tires were the Verdenstein (sp) Nordfrost 3. Continental Group absorbed them and moved the tooling to Germany and relabled them for General.
Yes, my General Altimax Arctics are labeled "Made in Germany" on the sidewall.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Just decided on putting some dedicated snows on this year. At first I thought it would be easy, just go to the store and buy some Blizzak's but after doing some research all I can say is my head is spinning. There are way more options out there than I thought. I live in SE MI and have a 75 mile round trip commute to work. I also snowmobile so I will take the car to northern MI to our cabin. I'm looking for mostly a snow/slush type of tire but 80% of the driving will be done on dry roads.
Here is the list I've come up with so far.
Blizzak WS70
Nokian R (pricey though..)
Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D

I've also heard good things about the Continental Extremewintercontact and the General Altimax Arctic. These last two companies I tend to shy away from, we had horrible luck with a set of Conti Oem tires on my wifes Caliber and aren't General's a very very low end tire company ?
If you've never had snows before, pretty much any snow tire will be an improvement, and you'll love them.

I had Dunlop Wintersport 2D's on my 2000 Golf for 5 winters. Very good tire. Wore evenly and lasted for probably 35k miles. They made a little more noise than an all-season, and were a bit more 'squirmish' -- both are typical of snow tires.

I currently have Continental ExtremeWinterContacts. They are awesome. They ride just like an all-season without the aforementioned noise or squirm, yet performed as well as the Dunlops snow-performance-wise. I had them on for 10k miles last winter (a few more miles than I normally put on) and didn't rotate them. I wish I had, because when I removed them in the spring I found that the rears were almost like new, but the fronts were ~2/3 worn, and worn sort of unevenly. I will be getting 2 seasons out of these...maybe 3 max. But for the way they rode/handled, I'd go with another set in a heartbeat. That said, I read in another thread here that Conti may be stopping production of these due to low sales....despite the fact that they rated extremely well in reviews.

I also have Continental all-seasons that came OE on my JSW, and I hate them. Noisy, harsh.... Can't wait to get a set of Michelin Primacies on it. But the Conti snows are the bee's knees.

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
Winter TIres

I've got a set of Michelin X-ice II on my Jetta. Love them. They are quiet, handle well in the rain, and were incredible in the snow. We got a surprise storm the end of October, with 20 inches of wet heavy snow.. No handling problems at all. Great tires.

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Looks like I'm going to go with the either General Altimax Arctic ,Hankook i Pike, Nokian WRG2 or the Blizzaks. It all depends on availablity at this point. Looks like I waited a bit too long in the season to get them.

gotdesl?

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi Cup Edition; 2004 VW R32 DBP
I decided to go with the General Altimax Artics, first year I will ever be running dedicated snows so I am looking forward to it. Still waiting to mount them on the car since there hasn't be any substantial snow and nothing in the forecast either.

jasonTDI

TDI
General makes a fine tire.

There are FAR worse tires out there. A lot Korean or Chinese. A lot knock off brand Goodyears or Firestones.

jasonTDI

TDI
I'd not knock a brand based on a single tire. OEM spec tires are generally cheap POS tires.