Engine Splash Shield

buddman

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI Aug/06 Mexico Build
I just bought a 06 Jetta TDI from a ligitimate mitsubishi dealer (so I thought) that said they did a complete 150 point inspection. Lot of things hidden were broken or missing, one of the things was the Engine Splash Shield or baffle. I went back to the dealer now for the 3rd time and asked about it, he told me that it did not come with it and it really was not a essential to the performance or safety of the car.
A friend of mine that knows more about cars than I even though he does not have a VW, said it is important for several reasons. 1. it deflects rocks and debris from puncturing or damaging a vital engine part, 2. Gas milage is effects due to all the air flow under the car is disrupted and 3. it ties the fenders and front body parts together,( must be why i get a vibration or rattle noise from the the front fender) not to mention this is part of the car and came with it from the factory. I trust my friend but wanted some other opinions before going back to Mitsubishi to raise hell.

PS. I found many other missing or broken parts hidden that they should of caught in the inspection. yes, I am really mad at myself as I did get ripped off on the price and on my trade in...... I dealt with 2 sales managers, a salesman, finance manager and the owner, They got me with the kill him with kindness close..... never been hit with that one before....
Thanks
Bruce

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I just bought a 06 Jetta TDI from a ligitimate mitsubishi dealer (so I thought) that said they did a complete 150 point inspection. Lot of things hidden were broken or missing, one of the things was the Engine Splash Shield or baffle. I went back to the dealer now for the 3rd time and asked about it, he told me that it did not come with it and it really was not a essential to the performance or safety of the car.
A friend of mine that knows more about cars than I even though he does not have a VW, said it is important for several reasons. 1. it deflects rocks and debris from puncturing or damaging a vital engine part, 2. Gas milage is effects due to all the air flow under the car is disrupted and 3. it ties the fenders and front body parts together,( must be why i get a vibration or rattle noise from the the front fender) not to mention this is part of the car and came with it from the factory. I trust my friend but wanted some other opinions before going back to Mitsubishi to raise hell.

PS. I found many other missing or broken parts hidden that they should of caught in the inspection. yes, I am really mad at myself as I did get ripped off on the price and on my trade in...... I dealt with 2 sales managers, a salesman, finance manager and the owner, They got me with the kill him with kindness close..... never been hit with that one before....
Thanks
Bruce
Get a metal skid plate since the oil pan on these cars has 4" of ground clearance and is paper thin die cast aluminum. Many have found this vulnerability the hard way and it cost them an engine. I have both the original plastic skid plate which does a great job of sealing up the engine compartment from road grime and a metal plate over the top to protect the underbelly. I've lost about another 3/4" of ground clearance but the metal plate can absborb quite an impact without damaging anything and by itself unless you get an original VW optional steel plate wont seal up the engine compartment as well as the factory plastic one does. I see you're in California so winter road salt and rainforest deluges should'nt be an issue needing a better road seal.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would want at least one on it. I have a metal Panzer plate on my TDI, but the plastic was ok at keeping it clean and deflected most stuff. They also help keep the engine area a little cleaner. I would guess it helps keep the engine a little warmer in the winter.

That said, I would not worry too much about it, but if something happened to mine, I would replace it.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
You bought a VW from a Mitsubishi dealer....why would you expect them to know what is or is not original, missing, or necessary on a VW?

Their "150 Point Inspection" is worthless. Did you take it to an independent shop to have it looked at? Or maybe a nearby VW dealer?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
...........Their "150 Point Inspection" is worthless. Did you take it to an independent shop to have it looked at? Or maybe a nearby VW dealer?
150 point inspection? I would laugh in their face.
Still, I would expect a 2006 sold at market value to have all it's parts and pieces.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Still, I would expect a 2006 sold at market value to have all it's parts and pieces.
Very true, but the profit margin gets smaller and smaller when a used car need repairs. That's why they're claiming the splash guard is not necessary: they don't want to pay for it.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
When selling a used car, most dealers won't fix anything that isn't necessary for the car to be safe or run/drive properly (properly being an operative word here). So who knows exactly what their 150 point inspection entails. I'm sure I can find 150 points on a car that are critical for a car to function and be safe.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You might expect it, and I would want it to be so, but I believe in most locations, used cars are by nature "As Is"

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I have a great example belt from someone who has no shielding under his car. It's the serpentine belt for an AHU.

There are 8 rock holes punched through the belt and a tear about 1" long.

So, even if you have a metal skid plate, you still need side shields.

Also, one of my Kansas clients showed up in March for a clutch. He lives down a dirt road (actually MUD, in March!). He has a panzer plate but no side shields. In order to start his clutch job, I took a shovel and dug out about 200 lbs of mud piled up on his skid plate and in his engine. That is the LAST TIME I'll so that...

I installed the side shields before reinstalling his panzer plate.

As a plug for DieselGeek.com, his 'Full Metal Jacket' sideshields work very well and really keep the engine bay safe and clean. the 'Full Metal Jacket' shields a much less inclined to break and crack as the OEM ones do.

buddman

TDI
2006 JETTA TDI Aug/06 Mexico Build
Thanks, appreciate the input.
I think I'll see what they say and if no luck on the shield, I'll check out the diesel Geeks full metal jacket.
I know it was sold as is, I did bring the car back the very next day with other problems.
1. Back lower fender cover inside broken bracket, held toghether with sheet rock screw. Bumper Cover popped off by the time I got home.
2. Cracked right side of top engine Cover, not secured flopping around.
3. Trunk wont close without slamming it 5 or 6 times.
4. Lighter and 12 volt sockets out, when you replace fuse they blow instantly (found no pennies or debris in sockets).
5. Battery Clamp and bolt hold down missing, sides and top cover also missing.
6. Seat lumbar support broke.
7. Engine splash shield missing.
As of today this is all I know about. Also they did tell me that the timing belt would not be due until 90 to 100k, just found out it is now 80k on the 06', I bought the car with 70k.
Most of these problems should of been picked up on the inspection. They sold me the car at the KBB excellent shape price. If you ask any dealer in the US as to why pay more at a dealer instead of buying from a private party, they will all tell you the same thing. "We go through the car give it a 150 point inspection and make sure the car is in excellent shape and meets all standards, you never know what problems you'll find on buying from a private party" made good sence to me, so that is what I expected. Oh well.... I guess I just need to lick my wounds, and hope the car has no other issues that are more serious.
Thanks for the help.....
Bruce

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
It's all buyer beware when it comes to used car buying. Those 150 point inspections more often than not are just "pencil whipped" up.

rapidoxidationman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS automatic sedan
Next time you buy a car

DO YOUR OWN 150 point inspection... BEFORE you buy it. There's gotta be a form somewhere on the internet.

Not to be a smarta$$, but "never trust the dealer".

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Forget about the Mitsubishi dealer.

I drove for 5+ years in California with just the plastic engine shield... then shortly after moving to the Midwest upgraded to a Dieselgeek Panzer plate.

There are lots of TDI owners who switched to a steel or aluminum skidplate, who still have the plastic shields taking up space in their garages. If you post in the West Coast forum, someone should have one that he will give you for free.

But do not buy a plastic replacement -- if you are going to spend the money, then buy a metal skidplate. They will actually protect the underside of your engine, and not just improve the aerodynamics.

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
Diesel Geek Panzer Plate has saved my oil pan a couple of times on the way up to my parents' camp. It's well worth the money, though the stud nuts can be a pain to install.