A question for those who got "the fix"

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Are you planning on having any engine and/or DSG tuning done after getting the emissions fix done on your vehicle?

Follow up, if you have had tuning work done post-fix, what did you get done and how has it affected your car's behavior?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
In a word: No. Why compromise the extended warrantly, while making it far less legal than it was in the first place? I see no point . . .

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
for sure stock until the ext warranty expires then as things fail we will take it item by item, I just forked $1100.00 out for a new oxygen sensor harness for my 2011 dodge Cummins- that's it, a grand is my limit for keeping it clean if anything more fails it will be deleted. My father is a pilot and he burns around 10,000 gallons of fuel in one day so these rigs are a drop in the bucket- we are way to near sighted and ignore the real picture

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I can see having a DSG tune done. I was never happy with the shiftpoints of my car. I usually slap the stick over to tip-tronic once I get to the gear I want to be in.

So, question still stands...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My answer is NO. I was always enticed by a tune engine/dsg. But I will not negate the terms of the extended warranty after the fix. I did not buy my Passat because I in no way shape or form thought it was going to be a hot rod, just a well proportioned economical car that has a good road feel.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Probably, once the warranty is expired. At least a DSG remap. It does some slightly annoying things. If the "fix" harms economy or power I'll happily de-fixify it. And I'll do anything that improves reliability, such as keeping the intake manifold clean.

I'm finding that very little of what applied to my '99 NB TDI applies to a 2015 Passat. I feel like a noob.

-mickey

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Probably, once the warranty is expired. At least a DSG remap. It does some slightly annoying things. If the "fix" harms economy or power I'll happily de-fixify it. And I'll do anything that improves reliability, such as keeping the intake manifold clean.

I'm finding that very little of what applied to my '99 NB TDI applies to a 2015 Passat. I feel like a noob.

-mickey
Hi Mickey!

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Initially my answer would have been no. After seeing how impacted my fuel economy has been (I'll post a thread later), I'm going to look into options and the likelihood of sneaking an aftermarket tune by if something needs servicing that's under the extended warranty.

15jetta_leftover

TDI
2015 jetta
Initially my answer would have been no. After seeing how impacted my fuel economy has been (I'll post a thread later), I'm going to look into options and the likelihood of sneaking an aftermarket tune by if something needs servicing that's under the extended warranty.
Under the extended warranty we will unfortunately have to scan EVERY tdi for VWAG to authorize repairs. Unfortunately.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Under the extended warranty we will unfortunately have to scan EVERY tdi for VWAG to authorize repairs. Unfortunately.
Good to know, I just learned that dealers do this as they found my 60HP smarty tune on my 2011 cummins and the dealer re-enabled pilot injection

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I wonder what the tuners would charge to de- and then re-flash your ECUs should you require dealer service. They should be able to save your current/default maps and then reload them at will. It's my understanding that when you get a tune, the installer just sends you the equipment along with a custom-made map and you push the new programming onto the boards yourself.

Any tuners here want to chime in?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
I've already been in touch with Malone about that. The Flashzilla V3 is $180 and you could save the factory tune to it, run the aftermarket tune, and flip them when necessary for warranty work. BUT, if there's something that denotes how recently the ECU/DSG was flashed, it could bite you still.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
BUT, if there's something that denotes how recently the ECU/DSG was flashed, it could bite you still.
Did you happen to ask if there are any date indicators that the dealer would see? Even if so, what would stop someone from, say, wanting to have a backup of the factory settings in the (unlikely) event of data corruption? ;) One could have, theoretically, bought a Flashzilla just for this very purpose and tried to "restore the factory settings" to see if that was the cause of the malfunction.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
I chatted with the folks at Malone. If you don't want to risk your car's warranty, leave it stock. There's no silver bullet, unfortunately.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Which has been the story for all tuning since like forever, just seems like the huge warranty is making it harder to let go.

BTW those looking for a Malone tune in the US, look at buying from a dealer north of the boarder, the tune is same "dollars" USD vs CAD, so your USD goes 1.32 longer buying the tune.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
I really wanted to tune my '15 but I spoke with Malone many moons back and they don't have a 100% tune for the DSG. If I remember right, I was told, "We've have about 15% of the old DSG tunes work in the '15." For me, the shift points are the most annoying. Sure, I would like the extra power but, for me, it would be misplaced without a proper DSG tune. In addition, the DSG turn cannot be saved the in Flashzilla so, if a dealership were to reflash it, I would be out both time and money to do it again.

If only I lived closer to a tuner.

The "I'm not going to tune because of my warrantee" argument is not mine. I feel confident in the Magnuson-Moss Act they would have a hard time proving any mild thing I would do to the car would cause any issues. Remember, these are raced in Europe and have a great deal of untapped potential.

Drive safe.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Magnuson-Moss allows for aftermarket parts that do not substantively change operation. A programming change that completely alters engine operating conditions I seriously doubt would be considered as such for the engine/emissions/powertrain. Other unrelated stuff, sure . . .