Going to sell my TDI soon; should I wait for $6.00 gas?

TDI_DEB

TDI
Jetta GLS Wagon, 2002, Reflex Silver, Automatic
We have out grown our beloved 2002 GLS TDI Jetta Wagon. Although we totally enjoy the car, it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat. So, I'm in the process of getting it ready to sell: cleaning it up inside and out and doing the scheduled maintenance. It's paid for so it doesn't cost me anything but aggravation from the wife to sit on a month or two.

My friend who is a long time car salesman says to hold it, he says people are already paying more for a used KIA than it cost new and its going to get crazier in the next couple of months.

It needs a new windshield like every car in Washington; I'm hesitant to have it replaced before I have a buy as the windshield in my other car only lasted 20 minutes :(

I also have the HEX-COM cable, Bentley Manual, timing belt tools, and the alternator clutch remover tool as I planned to keep the car forever. Depending on the buyer, I would let the tools go with the car or sell them here.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I just tonight found a way to fit a newborn seat in between two booster seats in the back of my '01 Golf so I do not understand statement: "...it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat." Make it work! ;)

TDI_DEB

TDI
I'm too tall

I just tonight found a way to fit a newborn seat in between two booster seats in the back of my '01 Golf so I do not understand statement: "...it just doesn't work with a rear facing baby seat and a booster seat." Make it work! ;)
I see from your avatar, I'll need to climb in through the sunroof.

jasongind

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon (totaled), 2005 Passat Wagon GLS
Keep it as long as you can. I also live in WA and just got a hold of my '03 Wagon GLS Auto at the end of Jan. I was recently looking at the same cars online and can not find one that is even within $2,000 of what I paid.

Even with the price of diesel ($2.59) a mile down the road from me, I still pay less per mile to drive then those in "high mileage" (38-40 mpg) gassers. I am anout to fill up and have 689 miles on this take and its all mixed driving. Getting rid of the BMW 7 series ($125+ a week in fuel when it was $3.499/gal)for this was the best financial decision I've made in a while.

I say make it work, the kids will out grow those seats and be in booster seats before you know it. If you get a bigger gas car its going to get no more then ~30 mpg hwy, so your looking at a nice fuel bill now. A little cramped for a little while, or the wallet more cramped forever. I'd choose a little cramped for a short time.

Last edited:

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Keep it as long as you can. I also live in WA and just got a hold of my '03 Wagon GLS Auto at the end of Jan. I was recently looking at the same cars online and can not find one that is even within $2,000 of what I paid.
Even with the price of diesel ($2.59) a mile down the road from me, I still pay less per mile to drive then those in "high mileage" (38-40 mpg) gassers. I am anout to fill up and have 689 miles on this take and its all mixed driving. Getting rid of the BMW 7 series ($125+ a week in fuel when it was $3.499/gal)for this was the best financial decision I've made in a while.
I say make it work, the kids will out grow those seats and be in booster seats before you know it. If you get a bigger gas car its going to get no more then ~30 mpg hwy, so your looking at a nice fuel bill now. A little cramped for a little while, or the wallet more cramped forever. I'd choose a little cramped for a short time.
Why not wait for $10 gas? Last time gas went to $4.00, it came down to $1.40 just before elections. Funny how that works........

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Deb, I would definately keep the TDI.
$2.59 for diesel? This has got to be a typo. $4.09 last time I looked in my area, but cheaper than Gas, hahaha.

xTheChadx

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
sorry to thread jack but its $4.09 here in Wichita KS and Gas is only $3.55..... so im feeling the pinch... but to the OP i say keep it, it will be better in the long run

jasongind

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon (totaled), 2005 Passat Wagon GLS
Why not wait for $10 gas? Last time gas went to $4.00, it came down to $1.40 just before elections. Funny how that works........
Fuel prices never dropped that low around here, even just around the elections. I have not seen any grade less then $2.25/gal since 2004 and that was in Lower Alabama when I left flight school at Ft. Rucker.

Gas will not hit $10/gal, I don't think it will get above $5/gal honestly. But if he is set on getting rid of it why not hold it as long as possible and get the absolute best price out of it he can. If he holds it too long and prices drop before he gets rid of it, well then just another reason to keep it right.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
goggle it

Fuel prices never dropped that low around here, even just around the elections. I have not seen any grade less then $2.25/gal since 2004 and that was in Lower Alabama when I left flight school at Ft. Rucker.

Gas will not hit $10/gal, I don't think it will get above $5/gal honestly. But if he is set on getting rid of it why not hold it as long as possible and get the absolute best price out of it he can. If he holds it too long and prices drop before he gets rid of it, well then just another reason to keep it right.
Just do a search for gas prices end Oct., first Nov. 2008. Bottomed out here at about $1.40. The point is, it can come down real fast, and so can the price of these cars, like musical chairs.:cool:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
TDI_DEB, I say keep the car. I had a rear facing car seat and booster in mine and am now with the front facing and booster. I have no problems. My wife thinks everytime we go to see her parents we need to take the entire dresser and the toy box. I promise you can make it work. I think you will regret getting rid of the TDI.

On the other hand, if you decide to sell the tools let me know.

TDI_DEB

TDI
Just gravel, our streets are littered with it.

Is that because of all the random gunfire?

Just gravel, a lot of people have gravel driveways and track the stuff on to the freeway. As soon as the get up to speed it flys out of the tire tread.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
The rear facing car seats do not last a long time they will be in forward facing before you know it :) just my 2 cents.

Tbone77

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm looking for a tdi and need to fit 2 car seats in it. Can you explain the problem or add a pic to show what you mean? I'm 6'

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Corvette with V10TDI ,2004 (2)V10TDI’s
I have been replacing W/S like crazy as I drive a lot for work. I think the replacements are junk glass and for an extra hundred dollars I am going to order a new one from the dealer, the original one lasted years and the replacements (non OEM) lasted months.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Your going to find yourself in a situation where the car you replace your TDI with is going to have a premium on it unless its a gas guzzler (AND not japanese or uses japanese parts).

So sell high TDI = buy high another car unless gas guzzler. Timing isnt going to matter.

If you are interested in a gas guzzler, then you can pretty much steal them from the new car lots. If that is the case, buy that now/soon....wait out the TDI sale for another 50 cents - $1 movement before you unload.

As soon as libya/saudi tension calm down, oil is dropping $20 a barrel...fairly quickly.