2010 Jetta TDI Check Engine Light is on again!

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan Black on Black, DSG, Sunroof, Protection Kit, Lip Spoiler
Hey guys,

I purchased my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan around 10/15/09... 400 miles later I had the check engine light come on and the car threw a 00315 code. The dealer had my car for a few days while they ordered an O2 sensor.

Everything has been good on my car since then, until today.

I turned the car on today to drive to work. Within the first minute of the drive I realized the (solid) check engine light was on. I'm not sure if it turned on when I started the car, or shortly after leaving the house? Since it's the weekend and VW is closed, I was hoping someone on this forum could give me some ideas of what could have caused this?

Here is some info to hopefully narrow it down:

The car is up to around 8,500 miles now and is coming up on it's 10k service, but that hasn't been performed yet.

I was driving normally at residential speeds during cool spring weather when I noticed the light, less than 2 minutes into my drive to work.

The car didn't show any negative signs, and has been and continues to drive normally.

The car always burns really good diesel from a local place called Wardway Fuels here in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was down to the last 30% of my tank, but above the red gas line. I doubt it was anything to do with bad gas for these reasons. I can also rule out the gas cap not being tight - I checked it.

I heard something on these forums about a software update? My car doesn't have it. Could this have anything to do with the light?

Hopefully this is enough to narrow down what it could be.

Thank you guys in advance!

Sincerely,
Ben

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
alreadyBenBrott said:
Hey guys,

I purchased my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan around 10/15/09... 400 miles later I had the check engine light come on and the car threw a 00315 code. The dealer had my car for a few days while they ordered an O2 sensor.

Everything has been good on my car since then, until today.

I turned the car on today to drive to work. Within the first minute of the drive I realized the (solid) check engine light was on. I'm not sure if it turned on when I started the car, or shortly after leaving the house? Since it's the weekend and VW is closed, I was hoping someone on this forum could give me some ideas of what could have caused this?

Here is some info to hopefully narrow it down:

The car is up to around 8,500 miles now and is coming up on it's 10k service, but that hasn't been performed yet.

I was driving normally at residential speeds during cool spring weather when I noticed the light, less than 2 minutes into my drive to work.

The car didn't show any negative signs, and has been and continues to drive normally.

The car always burns really good diesel from a local place called Wardway Fuels here in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was down to the last 30% of my tank, but above the red gas line. I doubt it was anything to do with bad gas for these reasons. I can also rule out the gas cap not being tight - I checked it.

I heard something on these forums about a software update? My car doesn't have it. Could this have anything to do with the light?

Hopefully this is enough to narrow down what it could be.

Thank you guys in advance!

Sincerely,
Ben
Ben, welcome to the tdiclub. There are plenty of members in your area that have VCDS. Look in the regional forums and ask for help. VCDS will provide more information than you can get from a generic scan tool. Good luck.

TDI
Well, I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning, but I'll keep that VCDS idea in mind.

I drove it to Auto Zone today and they tell me the code it is throwing is P13D3 but unfortunately their computer doesn't know what that code is?!

I decided to take it to Advanced Auto Parts to see if they had any better luck and it threw the same P13D3 code which they are telling me is an "Ignition System or Misfire fault"

Both placed tell me to take it to the dealer (obviously) but were unable to give me much information besides this code.

I did some quick checks and I can't find information about this P13D3 check engine code anywhere.

Any ideas guys?

I'll give you all an update once I take it to the dealer tomorrow.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Ben

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Now don't hold me to this, but I have heard that the reason for this code is because there is a VERY small leak at the clamp where the EGR hooks up to the exhaust pipe. The computer is programmed to have tolerances so tight that a 2% leak of exhaust gasses will trigger a light.

There is not a gasket at that connection, so Vw is working on a way to get that sealed up better.

That's just what I have heard, so as they say, YMMV.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
roy1 said:
P13D3- Pressure Transmitter interior of cylinder 2 Unacceptable signal
There was a thread about similar issue last week of a bad glow plug wiring harness.

If the VW tech says its a bad glow plug from this code, I'd ask him to prove that it's not harnes as it'd prevent another trip to the dealer 3 weeks from now when the same code is thrown.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I would agree with 740GLE, it sounds like maybe a malfunctioning glowplug, or what the ECU thinks is a malfunctioning glowplug (i.e., bad connection or wiring).

TDI
Thank's for the input guys.

I dropped it off today at the dealer, they are going to call me tomorrow with an update.

The dealer is giving me a free rental car, but unfortunately all they had was a Chrysler Town & Country :-(

I'll update the forum when I learn what they are going to do to my car.

Efchou

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6spd
Hang in there, I was in the same boat as you with my car. Both electrical issues were both from a bad wiring harness. Hope all goes well!

-Efchou

TDI
The VW service went well. Hopefully everything stays that way.

The dealer tells me that after reading the code and calling VW they were instructed to replace the glow plug in Cylinder 2; surprise, surprise.

I asked them if there was a chance of it being the wiring harness rather than the plug itself and they told me the code thrown (P13D3) can only be the plug itself. This is according to the tech they spoke with at VW. Hopefully it was just a bad glow plug and not the harness like 740GLE suggested or I'll be back to the dealer within a few weeks.

They also updated my car for a known recall with the software controlling the tire pressure monitoring system. I've noticed it reading low pressure in cold weather, but I didn't know it was a known recall.

Hopefully I don't have to see the dealer again for awhile, but as always I'll keep you guys updated if things change.

Thank you again for the advice and input guys.

aj15027

TDI
2001 volkswagen jetta tdi
Got a 2001 volkswagen jetta tdi with lack of power only some times. And has check engine code that reads " P1556-Manf. Cntrl. Veh. Spd. Idel speed control auxiliary inputs ". Please any helpful/info. I am installing a boost gauge the beginning of next week also.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Got a 2001 volkswagen jetta tdi with lack of power only some times. And has check engine code that reads " P1556-Manf. Cntrl. Veh. Spd. Idel speed control auxiliary inputs ". Please any helpful/info. I am installing a boost gauge the beginning of next week also.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Post a thread there, the engine you have is a whole different animal than a PD or CR, the guys in the MKIV section will be more familiar with your car.