Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Oh well so much for your low cost Tesla Model 3. You won't be getting FREE charging at the super charging stations.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-3-chargers-20160601-snap-story.html
When I had looked up the Model S years ago, the lower-end S didn't have free supercharger access -- you had to pay an extra $2000! Yikes. And more recently, didn't Tesla say that people shouldn't abuse the charging stations and reserve it just for trips? In other words, it wasn't intended as free "fuel" for everyday. But, I guess that happens with "free". I don't know why they can't just charge you a small fee to use it and be done with it.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Well, I'm outside California and it's likely I'll take the buyback. This is my first diesel car, and I'm concerned that it just isn't worth the hassle. I'm quite satisfied with the car (faint praise indeed coming up on 40k miles) but there are many unknowns.
I'm with you, except that I have about 65,000 miles on my '11. I'm in no hurry to get another car, but still thinking about taking the buyback; usually I own cars for a bit longer, but I'm not sure I want to risk future potential issues, particularly given a "fix".

These days, I'm driving outside of the big city center, and not sure that the NOx is a big issue. I like the fuel efficiency, although as I'm driving less, even that is less of a concern. I like the torque, but between the turbo lag and low HP, it's not exactly a fast car, but overall, the car is much better than a typical economy car. Someone in the thread said that these cars aren't unicorns, but yet people have trouble coming up with good substitutes -- good on fuel economy, peppy, good handling, high quality interior, etc. JSW owners probably especially have trouble finding a substitute. Sure, a Ford Flex is huge, so you could get even more room, but the fuel economy stinks. And so on. EVs and hybrids like the Prius tend to feel like cheap economy cars, soft handling, and in general, not fun to drive.

So, maybe it is a bit of a unicorn.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Oh well so much for your low cost Tesla Model 3. You won't be getting FREE charging at the super charging stations.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-3-chargers-20160601-snap-story.html
My favorite line from TFA:

"Dressed casually in jeans and a sort of safari jacket with the collar turned up 1980s-style, Musk seemed eager at several points in the long Tuesday presentation to have his audience of shareholders, Tesla employees and owners understand that his electric car company isn’t trying to gouge anyone –"

Knowing how he dressed goes a long way toward convincing me that Tesla isn't pulling anything shady by (gasp!) wanting actual money for people to charge their cars....and this is a story from what purports to be an actual newspaper. And people think it strange that I don't follow the news.....

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Clean Diesel Technology is responsible for our current cleaner air

Diesel Haters

Just because VW cheated (on purpose), choosing to save a few hundred bucks & didn’t use the available technology correctly, people should know that Clean Diesel technology currently used in Trucks/Busses etc. is responsible for the cleaner air quality we currently enjoy now in the most polluted USA cities compared with 2005, & it continues to get even better.
The air coming out the exhaust of an 18 wheeler or Bus equipped with DPF/SCR is actually cleaner in many instances than the air going in! Trucks, buses, etc. are currently driving around in the most polluted USA cities like a fleet of air scrubbers cleaning the air.
Watch this BLUE SKYS Commercial I personally posted 8 years ago
ALL 100% of Diesel cars currently registered in USA only makes up 1% -2% of the 253 Million cars currently on the road, All our cheating TDIs combined in USA since 2009 only make up about 20% of that 1% to 2%, that’s less than 0.4% of all the cars on USA roads.

What is the real impact of all our polluting TDI’s?
Since 2005 Pollution is down by as much as 50%, mainly because of CLEAN DIESEL TECHNOLOGY used in Trucks, Buses, & cars over the past 7 years.
All our VW TDI's Cheating 10X to 40X over the limit (within that same time frame) have been running wild in USA since 2009, YET... total pollution has been reduced, cut substantially by as much as 20% -50% during the same time period from 2005 to 2014.

THIS map shows USA pollution in 2005:

And with all of our entire combined 0.4% USA VW cheating TDI FLEET polluting 10X to 40X over EPA Limits, this is how the map of pollution looks as of 2014:

And it continues getting better every year despite our .4% of cheating TDIs.

Europe’s total pollution has also dropped since 2005, but not nearly as much as USA because Europe has not (yet) implemented Clean Diesel Technology on all their lorries & buses like USA has.

Gasoline cars reign Supreme in China
Finally, the most polluted country in the world (CHINA) has the LEAST Diesel vehicles of any country! only 0.4% of vehicles in CHINA are Diesel!

FACTS SOURCE

Last edited:

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I think a more realistic statistic would be a comparison between the deaths/injuries and the cases where that airbag deployed.
There are a couple that are interesting, deaths due to the airbag deploying, deaths in wrecks without an airbag deploying on a car with airbags, wrecks with airbag deployment and no death.

No mention of manufacturer, but the stats for the second category look much worse than the first from an insufficient sample set.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/business/gm-air-bag-failures-linked-to-303-deaths.html?_r=0

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
(Not a complete) list of possible suggestions of things to discuss that are TOTALLY unrelated to thread's topic:

- acne outbreak & treatment thereof
- catching bothersome groundhog: DYI vs calling animal control. drowning em vs driving 100 miles away and releasing
- good fly fishing places in the Alps
- best ways to save at Shop Rite

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Diesel Haters

Just because VW cheated (on purpose), choosing to save a few hundred bucks & didn’t use the available technology correctly, people should know that Clean Diesel technology currently used in Trucks/Busses etc. is responsible for the cleaner air quality we currently enjoy now in the most polluted USA cities compared with 2005, & it continues to get even better.
The air coming out the exhaust of an 18 wheeler or Bus equipped with DPF/SCR is actually cleaner in many instances than the air going in! Trucks, buses, etc. are currently driving around in the most polluted USA cities like a fleet of air scrubbers cleaning the air.
ALL 100% of Diesel cars currently registered in USA only makes up 1% -2% of the 253 Million cars currently on the road, All our cheating TDIs combined in USA since 2009 only make up about 20% of that 1% to 2%, that’s less than 0.4% of all the cars on USA roads.

Since 2005 Pollution is down by as much as 50%, mainly because of CLEAN DIESEL TECHNOLOGY used in Trucks, Buses, & cars over the past 7 years.
All our VW TDI's Cheating 10X to 40X over the limit (within that same time frame) have been running wild in USA since 2009, YET... total pollution has been reduced, cut substantially by as much as 20% -50% during the same time period from 2005 to 2014.

And with all of our entire combined 0.4% USA VW cheating TDI FLEET polluting 10X to 40X over EPA Limits, this is how the map of pollution looks as of 2014:

Europe’s total pollution has also dropped since 2005, but not nearly as much as USA because Europe has not (yet) implemented Clean Diesel Technology on all their lorries & buses like USA has.

Finally, the most polluted country in the world (CHINA) has the LEAST Diesel vehicles of any country! only 0.4% of vehicles in CHINA are Diesel!

FACTS SOURCE
So the defense is.... "we cheated but it didn't hurt anybody" Thanks for clearing that up. Now if all auto makers have that same attitude would our pollution levels be the same they are now? Clearly most are following the rules and we all benefit.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So the defense is.... "we cheated but it didn't hurt anybody" Thanks for clearing that up. Now if all auto makers have that same attitude would our pollution levels be the same they are now? Clearly most are following the rules and we all benefit.
I often wonder if any other car makers cheat on emissions in a similar fashion as vw did.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
I often wonder if any other car makers cheat on emissions in a similar fashion as vw did.
Not sure, but the brazen way VW did it.... I would be surprised if a company made the cheat central to a marketing/advertising campaign like VW did.

Most of the time shareholder suits do not hold any water. In this case I think they may get somewhere.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
If you disconnect the battery, you usually need a Vag-Com to get the Aux. port to work on your radio again. ;)

^ Exactly... stupid stuff like that. The only thing that I've seen on my VW that truly blew my mind on how easy it was, was when my headlight went out. I was able to change the bulb by simply reaching in, and spinning the housing. No wire, nothing to remove to get to it, and above all, I didn't have to buy any VW parts or tools to do it (just a normal bulb from AutoZone).

VW must have outsourced that part of engineering :p

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
There is no defense going on here for VW. I'm just not upset about what they did as you and some others are.

Since only 1% - 2% total of all 253 million cars currently registered in USA are Diesels, even if every manufacture that has ever sold a Diesel vehicle in USA cheated exactly the same as VW on their Diesels, it still would have been hardly measurable.

Clean Diesel technology used on Trucks, Buses, Heavy Equipment, Factories, Power Plants etc. Since 2006 is the #1 reason for the cleaner air we have now compared to 2005.
The whole point is, all TDI owners who are so upset about their polluting cars, it's all really just a tiny blip in the overall scheme.
I'm trying to put all our so called pollution spewing cars in perspective here.

I'm most angry at what VW did because it's done more damage to Diesel cars in USA than GM ever did back in the 1980's with their crap Oldsmobile Diesel JUNK Motors.
Shame on VW for totally doing more damage to Diesel Reputation than anyone ever in history including GM! (A$$ HOLES!) And for what? Trying to save a few hundred bucks per car?

But, I'm just not angry because Dieselgate is not hurting me personally, most of us should all come out of it better (Financially) than if it never happened at all.
I still believe most people don't care about it at all though, and I still believe VW is probably going to rebound from this sooner than expected. I also believe (Hope) they won't disappoint us all come June 21-July 26.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'm with you, except that I have about 65,000 miles on my '11. I'm in no hurry to get another car, but still thinking about taking the buyback; usually I own cars for a bit longer, but I'm not sure I want to risk future potential issues, particularly given a "fix".
<snip>.
Same worries here ... but have the good fortune to not drive many miles.

And who knows, maybe the good Judge will grant a longer (or more comprehensible) warranty with the final settlement. :)

Fact is the vw enngineers built 'em around the cheat device.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Anyone know the part number for the cheat device?

I may want to order a spare before the pending solution.

:p

I'm way passed my car tweaking days, but while reading this thread, I saw mention of some tuners out there.. .so I looked one up. It would appear (on first read) that for $180 you can buy a flash device from them that has 1 slot for the Factory settings, and additional slots for different tunes.

Am I thinking wrong here but could we not simply buy that device, take an image of the VW "Fix", and then replace it all with an even better version than we have now? And when you have to take it in to smog, you simply flash it back to the "Fix", then go back to the Tune?

It can't be that easy right? :confused:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Well I am glad I am not in PHX right now it"s going to be 116F. on Saturday. I am in Hernosillo, Mx where it"s going to be 48C., 118.5F. today, that is much better :D:D...Mark

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Stealer prices, or independent shop prices? I know pulling apart the dash isn't a 20 hour book time job.
I supposed it depends on where you live. My area has some high labor rates. I will admit, I got that estimate via hear-say and had not actually called around. My main point is that so much labor has to be done.

Big deal - all synthetic oil is $7-9 bucks a quart, and you're only changing it every 10K. I gotta use synthetic on the Saabs here, and that's ever 5K, so that's more expensive.
Not true. Every car I have owned for years was a $20-$25 Mobile 1 Full Sync jug of oil from Walmart. I'm lucky in that my local dealer sells the oil for $9 a quart because the normal price I believe is $12.

Seriously, did you not research any of this before buying your car (like you are supposed to with ANY vehicle), and now you're having buyer's remorse
When I normally research a car, yes.. I typically try to dig in deep. Like I'm doing now 2 months before I find out what VW is going to offer. However as I mentioned, this Jetta basically fell into my lap in 2 days time. When it did, the going rates around here for similar were $20k or higher, I got mine for $16k, so I took a gamble, and lost.

I'm not trying to really bash VW. There is a niche out there of people that don't mind tinkering, and working on their cars. I used to be one of those. Now I'm older, have other priorities in my life, and don't like the idea of having to buy a $300 program so I can change my fuel filter <-- sarcasm

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm way passed my car tweaking days, but while reading this thread, I saw mention of some tuners out there.. .so I looked one up. It would appear (on first read) that for $180 you can buy a flash device from them that has 1 slot for the Factory settings, and additional slots for different tunes.

Am I thinking wrong here but could we not simply buy that device, take an image of the VW "Fix", and then replace it all with an even better version than we have now? And when you have to take it in to smog, you simply flash it back to the "Fix", then go back to the Tune?
It can't be that easy right?
:confused:

I'm counting on it ... or something like it.

If all goes as I wish I will take the "FIX" and the fix cash...

Then when (IF) I ever choose to sell it the new owner can do it at will.:D

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Originally Posted by mjLyco View Post

Its not like it needs a re-flash or a new water pump. An engine replacement will put ENGINE REPLACEMENT in all caps on my CarFax. That will scare normal buyers and make people looking to make lowball offers salivate.
Maybe I'm the odd ball but I agree. It's one thing to have something happen down the road, but how many of us would buy a brand new car, a brand new house, hell, a brand new gadget, only to find out that it was defective and then just suck it up.

Sure the engine can be replaced with a new one. But he's right.. it gets flagged. Not only that, but I'm sorry, the bozos at the dealer installing the engine is not going to do the same quality as the factory did. I can't even get my service department to do anything without half-assing something.

It reminds me of a buddy of mine who bought a new house and 6 months into it the water lines broken and flooded his living room. Sure they came in a "fixed" it, but wouldn't that piss anyone off?

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
If you can remove your battery (you may have already done this with a dead battery)...you've already done the hardest part of the DSG service (pro-tip:the filter is under the battery).
It really doesn't cost much to do yourself. With countless posts about how easy the service is over the last decade, you'd think this fallacy would be gone by now...

I have not had to do this yet, but there is more to it than that. Air filter, battery, and battery tray all have to come out. Then there is that whole Upside down filling with the snorkel. Then you need that software + cable to warm up the fluid to a specific temp before you jump under the car and plug the hole without loosing too much fluid.

Not saying impossible.. but if it was that easy, shops wouldn't charge $400 to do it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Diesel Haters

FACTS SOURCE
What is with all the missing photos in posts recently? Is vBulletin breaking down more?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Maybe I'm the odd ball but I agree. It's one thing to have something happen down the road, but how many of us would buy a brand new car, a brand new house, hell, a brand new gadget, only to find out that it was defective and then just suck it up.
Sure the engine can be replaced with a new one. But he's right.. it gets flagged. Not only that, but I'm sorry, the bozos at the dealer installing the engine is not going to do the same quality as the factory did. I can't even get my service department to do anything without half-assing something.
It reminds me of a buddy of mine who bought a new house and 6 months into it the water lines broken and flooded his living room. Sure they came in a "fixed" it, but wouldn't that piss anyone off?
Yup, suck it up. Somebody else isn't responsible for every misfortune that befalls you in life. Your broken pipe scenario is a good example.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Grateful for one thing

The buggy is paid for, & we all might get a "generous" settlement, ....:confused:

... and I do not have to worry about changing a timing belt (chain?) for more than 127,000 miles. :D

... really not even concerned about the 40,000 mile DSG $400. "THANG"

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
For those who had advice on my AC not working...... No go on the valve. Issue is a hole in the condenser.

KrisA

TDI
2010 Golf SportWagen
Now people are complaining about the cost of oil?!?! 5 litres of Castrol 507 and a filter from my dealer cost me $75, I do the change myself once per year. If $75 is a deal breaker for people they have no business owning an automobile. I guess if I did much more than 15,000km a year I might have to change the oil a bit more regularly, still it would be cheap as chips.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI

It would be more accurate to say something like, you have a 1" crack in the foundation, and the front half of the house is settling. The engine is kinda a fundamental thing in a car, it's not like a rad hose broke. Thus the comparison to something in a house so fundamental it automatically impacts buyer perception, like foundation problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.