Is New Beetle feminine?

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Sure my friends all make fun of me for it. Til they wanna go anywhere and ask me to drive cause it's best on fuel or drive it because it's so damn fun!

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
It comes down to Americans being insecure about their masculinity needing the large engined, black/grey macho machines. Those that favor style and still consider cars, boats, and planes to be feminine to begin with, do fine with Beetles, albeit not pink ones!

TM

Waldek Walrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
It's Back!

I thought this thread was long dead and gone. After that happened I was told about suitability of the Beetle. By my youngest granddaughter. The clatter of the TDI on a cold start disturbed her and made her ask what was wrong. The five speed sort of put her off - she said if she drove it would stall at every intersection. On a bit longer run (when it was the first choice car to seat four) she gave it a thought and said she could "never drive a Beetle." Why? Because it was "too much of a girly girl car" for HER. So I have been told.:eek:

That one sort of got me. One does indeed have to think like a teenager to end up with that opinion. Anyone for 48 MPG on winter fuel with four snow tires?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought this thread was long dead and gone. After that happened I was told about suitability of the Beetle. By my youngest granddaughter. The clatter of the TDI on a cold start disturbed her and made her ask what was wrong. The five speed sort of put her off - she said if she drove it would stall at every intersection. On a bit longer run (when it was the first choice car to seat four) she gave it a thought and said she could "never drive a Beetle." Why? Because it was "too much of a girly girl car" for HER. So I have been told.:eek:

That one sort of got me. One does indeed have to think like a teenager to end up with that opinion. Anyone for 48 MPG on winter fuel with four snow tires?
Yes, indeed our culture has become more "masculinized" since the New Beetle came to market. Yet learning proper clutch technique doesn't seem to be part of this image in everyone's mind.

TM

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To some, me included, the New Beetle was about style and headroom, not gender identity. As a car afficionado, the classic fenders and look of the NB was my idea of an enlightened artistic driving experience. The alternatives were just blah boxes. Sure, a Corvette with a 50 mpg diesel priced right would have been a consideration if it had a back seat too :rolleyes:.

It is a result of the insecurity some have with their own masculinity IMO. The NB was a "unisex" design when it was created but rapidly became "girly" since it did not fit the hypermasculine needs of today's homophobic culture. Race ready and hopped up, the cars look fine too, not unlike other classic hot rod designs.

I wasn't ready for a light blue one with pink flowers, mind you, having ordered one of the first platinum silver ones with black leather interior.

TM

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Going from a Grand Marquis to a Beetle was definitely a change. Especially when I saw all the room I had in the garage. :D It's also one of the better road trip cars I've had. Not to mention getting much better fuel mileage.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Going from a Grand Marquis to a Beetle was definitely a change. Especially when I saw all the room I had in the garage. :D It's also one of the better road trip cars I've had. Not to mention getting much better fuel mileage.
They are great, comfortable, and economical little highway cruisers that simply devour the miles. Handle severe crosswinds better than most cars, too.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT

Lol it's nearly impossible to stall a NB TDI. I can get into 5th gear with out pressing the accelerator :lol

SpencerJ

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
It could be argued that ALL cultures compensate in this way, not just "Americans" as you say. But, yes, the concept is the same. The new beetle is way not feminine. It handles like a dream boat.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Athough I've seen many more women driving in NBs, I've seen my share, primarily on forums like these, of very cool NBs. In fact, I cannot wait till I get mine - I've got some plans...

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Indeed, a good highway cruiser - made so many runs from Mississippi to Indy and back; and from D.C. area to/from Indy. Though, it is hardly a stock NB, but
still retains it stock appearance other than the Turbo-S front; Aristo's; and barely lowered via NeuSpeed SoftSports; and the latest addition of Rigid Industries' D2's
in place of the stock fog lights.

HetfieldJ

TDI
New beetle is feminine. You will see a lot of girls driving it and it has certainly got the fairer sex really interested in it.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Indeed, a good highway cruiser - made so many runs from Mississippi to Indy and back; and from D.C. area to/from Indy. Though, it is hardly a stock NB, but
still retains it stock appearance other than the Turbo-S front; Aristo's; and barely lowered via NeuSpeed SoftSports; and the latest addition of Rigid Industries' D2's
in place of the stock fog lights.
I'd love to see pics of your NB, hpc. Sounds bad a$$

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
My masculinity is well-preserved whatever I drive. The existence of this thread makes this a girlie forum.

Front Runner

TDI
99 VW Beetle TDI & 2012 Turbo Beetle TSI
I've got a Red 99 NB with 173K (5 speed) that I got about 4 months ago and I dont give rat's a** if people think that it's a girlie car. I'm getting 45 mpgs with the NB TDI and that's all I care about because fuel was killing me with my lifted Excursion that will get a whopping 10 mpg's on the highway. The TDI is the reason I purchased it. The only question I get concerning the car is how can I fit in it being 6'5" 225 pounds.

Heck, on another note, I also own a Corvette and I've seen MANY women driving them (at times, more than men) and Mustang GT's so are they considered girlie cars also? LOL.

Last edited:

wort

TDI
98 VW Beetle
I've got a Red 99 NB with 173K (5 speed) that I got about 4 months ago and I dont give rat's a** if people think that it's a girlie car. I'm getting 45 mpgs with the NB TDI and that's all I care about because fuel was killing me with my lifted Excursion that will get a whopping 10 mpg's on the highway. The TDI is the reason I purchased it. The only question I get concerning the car is how can I fit in it being 6'5" 225 pounds.

Heck, on another note, I also own a Corvette and I've seen MANY women driving them (at times, more than men) and Mustang GT's so are they considered girlie cars also? LOL.

I get a ton of crap from the guys at work (construction firm) but my car has paid for itself in a year with the money i saved in fuel from driving my truck. (13 mpg 80-90 mile round trip) but then i tell them ive only spent $375 in fuel since Feb.

pvapollo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetlesold, 98 Jetta AHU, 96 Dodge Cummins 5.9 TDI
OK guys, If it's black like mine, it's a dude's car. If it's lime green, sunburst yellow, cream ,pink,red,white,purple... it's a chicks car. It's still ok to drive one and I am not bashing anyone. It all comes down to the mileage. If it makes sense then drive it!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Hey, if it attracts good looking women, who am I to complain. If they want to call it a chick car, so be it, just as long as it attracts the chicks.

pvapollo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetlesold, 98 Jetta AHU, 96 Dodge Cummins 5.9 TDI
I do have to admit when I tell people about my "new car" I get some strange looks. Then I go on about the mileage and they seem to get it...

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I liked driving mine, but got a platinum grey with black leather (dark metallic color very attractive). It fits a big burly guy! The headroom is fantastic. Most cars don't fit me in the headroom department. What is amazing is cars like the BMW 2002 and the Porsche 928 require me to put my head on my lap to fit.

Heck - CARS ARE FEMININE! As are boats and planes. Anyone who thinks otherwise, must have a different cultural background or have a serious lack of self confidence....

But the trend has been clear since the 1970's: guys need big engines, dark car colors, and no convertibles to be considered "non-gay or non-girley." That goes for women too! Its really screwed up. Try talking to a motorcycle person about anything but a Harley. Same thing. Those that have cultural backgrounds not so insecure about their masculinity (or lack thereof) don't have this problem.

TM