TDI Land Speed Record

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
At approx. 175 (or 186 mph if you believe the 300 kph), I'd like to know more about what car, gearing, tire diam., mods, etc... I'm not buying into this. The original poster doesn't cite the origins or circumstances surrounding this new record...

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Well, it took awhile, but I think you've outdone yourself on this one. It might have been just a bit more convincing if the MAF displayed some actual info on it other than elapsed time and the abs indicator light wasn't on. Nice job though.

Can't seem to find a link to the other "speed demon" posting. Anyone else know where it is? (you know, the one with the Photo-chopped pic of the speedo)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's amazing how it went so fast while going nowhere according to the trip odometer. It must be time travelling. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I can see the trip cointing up.

The cluster looks like its installed in the dash (based on what looks like the steering column) so i would venture to say that it is really connected to a car. But then again, the MFA is displaying --.- *C. Hmm.

Where (what country) was this footage shot in?

-Jason

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
actually im thinking this was in a garage, cause the cam doesnt look up at all, not that you could look up while driving that fast, but you think they would have had another guy shooting the video, or have it so at least you can see the top part of the road, like they do when shooting crotch-rockets going 200+

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
If that is real, I would like some more information...car, mods, how long to achieve that speed, etc. I would truly like to think that is real and I could do some of the same mods and get similar results.

What I think.....Is it possible that the car is on jack stands or strapped to some sort of dyno?

Just my $.02 worth.

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
It looks like he used a tripod, with somethig heavy tied to the legs. I've done it before.

What are the exact spect of this NB?

-Jason

gredi

Veteran Member
Yes, the trip counter is counting up. Me's a thinkin' that at that velocity it should be counting up a whole lot faster. At 125 MPH, my Neon's trip odometer counts up faster than that.

Maybe a mismatch of parts would cause this?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I can't tell on my laptop display. I'll concede to those with better monitors, and i'll have to agree that it should be zipping right up at that speed. Somebody want to do the math of how long the video is and guestimate the distance "travelled"?

gredi

Veteran Member
I saw .4 miles on the trip odometer in approximately 25 seconds. Bear with me and my assumptions.

.4 Mile in 25 secs = .016 miles per second
.016 miles per second = 57.6 MPH

I did hear the engine winding up but I did not hear wind noise that would convince me that it was 186MPH/300KPH. Might there be some speedo cal that needs to happen here?

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
lol, its interesting to hear all the theories. why can't people believe a tdi can go that fast? ahah, ok, well not on tdiclub, but other forums, people dont know better.

still, nobody guessed how i did it. i wont say right now. as i enjoy reading what people have to say.

bart

zinkengruven

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2003 Indigo Blue
So was the engine noise recorded & played back while filming. I know instrument tests using VAG COM will bury the needles. I see the odo count up too though, hmm.

DzlEnthusiast

TDI
95 Mercury Sable Station Wagon
When you've disconnected battery and caused the ECU to reset. I believe the gauges go all the way to the right. It happened on one my parents cars but that was a car from the 80's...This is a NB.

Cheers

DZl

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Easy if you leave the front tires off the ground..... (just make sure the axles are straight...)..

Not to mention... boy, I bet it's icy up there in Calgary......

Gary M

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jumpered the tach signal to the vehicle speed signal line?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
He has admited to such, but is makeing us guess how he did it. Clues are that the car is actually being driven, and no VAG-Com trick (aka cluster test) is running.

I wanna know how he did it.

-Jason

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What are the chances that it's a TDI cluster in a non-TDI car, hence showing incorrect values on the speedo and odometer?

hotneutron

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: 13 Touareg /Ex: Jetta 99.5
I second this.
[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that it's a TDI cluster in a non-TDI car, hence showing incorrect values on the speedo and odometer?

[/ QUOTE ]

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Ever noticed that if you have one wheel spinning, say on ice, the speedo reads twice actual speed?
I'll guess the car is jacked up on one side, and it's flat out in fourth...
That'd explain the ABS warnings too, no?

If so, I pity the diff /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Install a V6 cluster in a TDI and Whalla you have a 200 mph car...although still only doing 100 mph.

I saw this once in a Passat TDI with a VR6 cluster.

DB

Puritan2003

TDI
Jetta 1999 Black
In the U.S a guy did this with his Ferarri and took a proud pic of himself & car License plate too and got a greeting in the mail with ticket attached . Just a thought for people to keep in mind .

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
The easiest way would have been to just move the needle on the speedometer. We never get to see if zero kmh is really zero kmh. When the car's not moving it could be showing 150 kmh. If you look at the bottom of the cluster you can see its not fully installed and looks like it was just out. Was it just some fun while calibrating the needles?
Brian

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, take a look at suffeks' post above.

[ QUOTE ]
no, no vag-com tricks. no dyno, no garage, car was actually being driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

That shoots you theories about "jacking it up" or "jacking up one side". As for "spinning the tires on ice", the tach would show a much faster rate of acceleration due to minimal traction.

DBW, it's a TDI cluster, not a V6 cluster, take a look at the tach. Only 4500 rpm redline.

I think DC-TDIWagon may have hit on something. Isn't it possible to adjust the position of the needle using Vag-com while calibrating the cluster?

Either that, or like I posted earlier, it's a TDI cluster in a non-TDI car, making the speedo and tach show incorrect values. Where the needle should be on a 1.8T or VR would be totally different on a TDI cluster, wouldn't they?

Alright suffeks, time to spill the beans. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way would have been to just move the needle on the speedometer. We never get to see if zero kmh is really zero kmh. When the car's not moving it could be showing 150 kmh. If you look at the bottom of the cluster you can see its not fully installed and looks like it was just out. Was it just some fun while calibrating the needles?
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! Well 145. So I am driving in 2nd, purposely slowly reaching redline for the effect. GJ!

The reason my lights are flashing is because this is a custom built cluster from a W8 circuit board with a TDI eeprom. It thinks my abs is not working, when it is, so i decided to fool around with it, since it's getting sent back anyway.

Everything else on it works 99%, even tested it with my gps prior to moving the needle.

I posted this on a few other forums, most people say dyno, lol, and some really believe i went that fast, in my neighborhood anyway. AHAHAH.