Another no start tdi question

sawbilly

TDI
2004 jetta
Hey folks picked up a 280,000 non running 2004 jetta tdi. Had been sitting for a while, water leaked into passenger floorboard, mice had chewed several wires, rear lights,gas filler opener, headlight, maf sensor. Would not start battery had to be charged up. Glow plug light not operating replaced relay 109 she fired right up and ran great. Started fine for a few days then noticed a limp mode a few times but always cleared up after restart. Pulled it in the driveway to work on wires next day came out battery discharged, charged it back up and it hasnt started since then. Put a new battery in, replaced cps per vagcom code 16705/p.o 321. Tach seems to work but continues to throw code. Seem to be getting fuel after replacing fuel filter at fuel line. All fuses are good, cleaned all grounds under battery, asv is opening. Any help would be appreciated. New to tdi and new to forum. I did try to start car with charger hooked on a 20 amp charger.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is this a crank, no start or no crank, (or slow crank) no start? Troubleshooting for the two are very different so we need to understand which it is. Before consulting our crystal balls.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Idunno much about PD motors but I know BIG paragraphs are hard to read.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. It's enough to consume brain cells on the problem, but to also have to kill a bunch just to parse paragraphs...

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It's not even just the lack of paragraphing. The sentences randomly follow (or not) the rules of grammar.

sawbilly

TDI
2004 jetta
Whitedog this is a crank no start. Throwing just the one code 16705 po321. Replaced the cps and tach shows rpm. The code shows the same 16705. Thanks for your help.

To you other English scholards ever read Faulkner! I guess not.

sawbilly

TDI
2004 jetta
Yeah thanks Carlos. I checked voltage at the sensor seemed to be correct. How do i get the vcds scan? I'll check wiring back to ecm. Thanks for your help.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
HOW ON EARTH does William Faulkner have anything to do with your bad grammar and run on sentences? Obviously you should go back and read some more and "get good"!
And its "English scholars" btw

Now on to your issue, sounds like the battery may have killed something when it ran dead, or you might have shorted something out when changing it. Check your 109 relay for kicks! There is a great thread somewhere in the stickies for "Car won’t start". You should start there. Check injectors for fuel, if non sprays out of the cracked open line, trace it back to fuel filter and lines and 109 relay, shut off solenoid etc.... Check if you’re getting air- you probably are ASV is open as you say, so this leaves you with either timing or some ECU/controller issue, possible vac/boost line issue, wire harness improperly attached, I mean there is a TON of reasons why it won’t start but crank.

Maybe you should do a search for the codes you posted instead of telling us that we need to read more!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=328868
Look at this thread, maybe this can help!

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
A vcds scan is done using vcds. It will show all stored codes for the car. This include obdii codes and propietary vw.

As for the wiring check, the bes approach would be to monitor the cps signal using an oscilloscope while cranking at the sensor side and agaim at the ecu side.

If there are chaffed wires that have intermitent conection once the engine starts vibrating because of the starter will be almost imposible to catch with just continuity when the engine is at rest imho...

sawbilly

TDI
2004 jetta
Thanks Carlos. I'll give that a try. Think it may be an ecu problem. May have fried something with the charger. What should the cranking rpm register? Mine is real weak like 250 rpm. Sometimes it takes a few cranks for it to register. I used a Napa cps.

Oh and for the erudite. Scholards is a play on words.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Scholards is a play on words.
I caught that.

So the first thing is to burn that ChiNAPA CPS and put in a good one, even if it's from a running car.

It's hard to tell via the innerwebs (that's a play on words in case anyone is wondering) if the engine is cranking fast enough, but I and others have noted that their TDI will start when the cranking RPMs are very slow, regardless of what "the math" and "theory" say about minimum cranking speeds.

Did you make the time to look over the no start thread in TDI 101?

sawbilly

TDI
2004 jetta
Yeah thanks I did read that thread. Im going to buy a VW cps first and see if that helps. I believe the Napa was made in Italy. Seemed to be a fairly close mark on the oem. Any suggestions on what cps to buy?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Electronics bits are sometimes tough to choose. If it's from China, I assume it's junque (that's a play with spelling) but there are oftentimes reboxed parts that have the OEM logo ground off. You could try one of the fine vendors on this site. Being on the East coast, there are a couple out there that can get you parts in a day or two at very reasonable prices.