Amsoil 5W-40 Almost Ready For 505.01

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
the other option of course is Elf. i know that there is some Elf 506.01 in Canada. whether it's still available or not - i don't know. but here's the guy who would:

Laurent SIRET
Market Development Manager
Elf Moto Division
TOTAL LUBRICANTS USA
Phone: 908 374 5063
e.mail: laurent.siret@total-us.com

if there's Elf 506.01 on this side of the pond he will know about it - and he'll be happy to point you to it.

if you really need it ASAP but can't get your hands on some in CAN - you may be able to order Motul from Impex.

good luck!

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Nice to see we are back to an oil topic.
I really do not understand a person whom most likely pushes a shopping cart down a super store isle to purchase oil bashing any Amsoil dealer.
I hope that wasn't aimed at me

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Yes I respect this, but IIRC a group IV 100% synthetic *can not* be 505.01 certified as the spec calls for a synthetic blend. Which is why all the 505.01's are synthetic blends.
Arthur,
I'm looking at the VW 505.01, VW 505.00, and VW 500.00 specs right now. The only forumlation requirements listed for each fo these three specs are minimums or maximum elements/compounds for the additive package - zinc, phosphorus, ash, calcium, magnesium, barium, etc. There are viscosity limits, evaporation loss limits, shear limits, and a range of performance tests. There's not a single item in any of these three that say anything at all about base oil components or forumlation.

Oil companies are businesses. They won't use a titanium bolt when aluminum will work. There's no financial reason to use a group IV/V oil (there's no such thing as an only-group-IV oil) when all the test requirements can be met with a group III base oil.

AndyH

TDI
The VW 505.01 spec in PDF format is on my website HERE. I've started another topic to minimize the thread hijack that's been going on.

Andy

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Andy or Greg - do you know where Amsoil is in the 505.01 approval process? what is the ETA of an Amsoil 505.01 approval?

AndyH

TDI
Andy or Greg - do you know where Amsoil is in the 505.01 approval process? what is the ETA of an Amsoil 505.01 approval?
Rob,
I spoke with a gent in AMSOIL tech support this afternoon. This is VERY tenuous info, could change, our mileage may vary, etc. In addition, I don't speak for the company - if this changes, shoot me not them.

The AFL 505.01 process is continuing. Some reformulation may be necessary. I have no clue what. It appears that AMSOIL is working thru the actual VW cert process. The status as of an hour ago is that 'VW does things in their time and now we just wait' until we hear one way or another. This suggested to me that oil has been sent to Wolfsburg for their final torture test. It could also mean that oil is being abused in the Lubrizol lab, which will show where the formula needs to be tweaked before sending a new AFL formula to Wolfsburg.

Please understand that I'm not on the 'inside', I'm not a tribologist, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Andy

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
I made some phone calls today. Motul is available in canada 506.01, also Elf 506.01 is available.

Elf 505.01 is the *only* 505.01 available here in canada that is 100% synthetic. The others are semi synthetic.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Elf 505.01 is the *only* 505.01 available here in canada that is 100% synthetic. The others are semi synthetic.
Elf 505.01 is a Group III. It is not "100% synthetic" (in the sense that it is not 100% PAO).

Excellium DID 5W40

Elf synthetics technology lubricant with very high performance intended for lubricating all gas and diesel engines in cars, particularly last Volkswagen technologies with direct injection.

VW: 500.00/505.00/505.01 Suitable for 502.00

Excellium LDX 0W30

100% synthetic lubricant with optimised performance intended for all gas and diesel engines.

VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

Notice the "synthetic technology" description for the 505.01 oil.

Euro_oil_guy

TDI
silver 2004
Andy: this is a most interesting thread, it does not make any sense for Amsoil to want to go through the ligitimate process of appliying for 505.01 approval, it cost in the area of 120,000 euro to be approved, this includes the human resources and the actual test fees. Unless Amsoil intends to sell their " 505.01 " to the rest of the world including Europe, there is just not enough pds in North America to justfy that segment. The only reason why Motul and elf are bring their products to market is that they already make it for the European market, and with very little margin to boot!

By the way, you may want to tell the people @ Amsoil that, 229.4 does not exsist ! (MB approval) for their Amsoil European formula.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Andy: this is a most interesting thread, it does not make any sense for Amsoil to want to go through the ligitimate process of appliying for 505.01 approval, it cost in the area of 120,000 euro to be approved, this includes the human resources and the actual test fees. Unless Amsoil intends to sell their " 505.01 " to the rest of the world including Europe, there is just not enough pds in North America to justfy that segment. The only reason why Motul and elf are bring their products to market is that they already make it for the European market, and with very little margin to boot!

By the way, you may want to tell the people @ Amsoil that, 229.4 does not exsist ! (MB approval) for their Amsoil European formula.
I understand there is an MB 229.3 and a 229.5..... they skipped 229.4 deliberately, however if some one didn't know that and merely copied data from MB they would assume there is a 229.4
I guess Amsoil just assumed without any test comparisons or hard facts, now they are caught with their pants down....

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Elf 505.01 is a Group III. It is not "100% synthetic" (in the sense that it is not 100% PAO).
This is what was told to me by the elf rep. " We are the only 505.01 that is 100% synthetic, motul and castrol are semi synthetic. "

If it is incorrect then it is, I can't prove or disprove.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
Andy: this is a most interesting thread, it does not make any sense for Amsoil to want to go through the ligitimate process of appliying for 505.01 approval, it cost in the area of 120,000 euro to be approved, this includes the human resources and the actual test fees. Unless Amsoil intends to sell their " 505.01 " to the rest of the world including Europe, there is just not enough pds in North America to justfy that segment.
Every single TDI being sold from last year forward is a PD...... In and around half of all VW's sold in Canada are TDI's....... I think its very worthwhile to get the official legitamite approval...

I doubt they'll sell much across the pond even if they try, at least not in that ugly bottle with the red white and blue all over it

WisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none now; formerly had an '03 Jetta GLS
The AFL 505.01 process is continuing. Some reformulation may be necessary.
If reformulation does take place, it will be interesting see what had to be changed from the original product.

Andy, thank you for your efforts regarding this.

AndyH

TDI
I doubt they'll sell much across the pond even if they try, at least not in that ugly bottle with the red white and blue all over it
The Union Jack is full of <font color="red">red</font>, white, and <font color="blue">blue</font>.

AndyH

TDI
Euro and Frank: I'm not familiar with all the Benz specs. If either of you can provide me proof that the .4 spec doesn't exist, and if neither of you have the time to send the info to AMSOIL tech support yourselves, send it to me. If you can prove to me that you're right, I'll get it fixed. Thank you.

Andy

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Andy, the guys are right...229.3 was superceded by 229.5. There was no 229.4 version. probably just a typo "thing".

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Amsoil does not even have 502.00 505.00 for the non Pd, what makes everyone think that they will apply for 505.01! They have never ever applied for factory approvals, and have always rode on the coattails of others.

If you look @ their EUROPEAN Formula 5W40 for example, they claim MB 229.4 ??? There is no such spec! 229.5 is the latest MB spec, yet Amsoil claims or thinks that it is the logical number to supersede 229.3

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I just looked at my bottle of Amsoil European 5W40 and it has the 505.00 VW spec. on the bottle. I don't think they can put it on there if it doesn't meed the spec.

WisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none now; formerly had an '03 Jetta GLS
Andy, the guys are right...229.3 was superceded by 229.5. There was no 229.4 version. probably just a typo "thing".
I feel it was deceitful...
This is why Amsoil should get the official 505.01 approval; it will help silence their critics.

AndyH

TDI
I just looked at my bottle of Amsoil European 5W40 and it has the 505.00 VW spec. on the bottle. I don't think they can put it on there if it doesn't meed the spec.
And they'll stand by the product and the owner of the vehicle should there be any trouble.