Best oil for 05 Jetta TDI PD?

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
One point on which I'd differ is the role of VW in oil "approval". This letter http://bardahl.ca/images/VWletter1.jpg shows that VW does in fact analyse oil quality before approval, and requires verification after 3 years. Minor issue: Group V is a catch-all for a variable group of esters, therefore there are issues to do with performance and choice of ester.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Cool letter! In the US there are a number of API and government certified labs that perform most of the oil certification testing, and annual spot-checks. Oil companies send oil and a large check to these labs for their certification. It appears that a VW lab provided the same type of contract service for Bardahl. There are other labs in Europe that also perform the tests - including tests to VW specs. The difference here is that VW might choose to test a product for a paying customer, but doesn't have a 'law enforcement' position of certifying products as a mater of course. They aren't the only lab with a set of 'VW xxx.xx' stamps.

Thanks for pointing out the Group V thing. Group V really is an 'all other' category and includes esters, polyglycols, and silicones (all synthetic) and even a mineral-base oil called 'white oil' (think food-grade, cosmetic, and medical)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Chief, you're floating a lot of unsubstantiated rumors this afternoon...

TDI_04_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
Golt TDI, 2004, silver
Amsoil's European Formula 5W50 was never VW505.01 approved. I have email Amsoil about the VW505.01 spec and this is the email I received:

<font color="blue">Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, AMSOIL is currently evaluating both the Castrol 505.01 and Motul 505.01 motor oils to determine of the AMSOIL 5W-40 Synthetic European Oil meets or exceeds this specification. This process will take a little time as several tests and review of the oil's physical characteristics need to be verified in the laboratory. As soon as AMSOIL has completely reviewed this data and made a decision over this matter, our department will contact you.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.
</font>

I've been using Amsoil since my first new 1990 GT Mustang and have been doing 1 year oil changes since then.

...Angelo