View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2018, 17:45   #10
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
I'm all for a BAS system, although I question the utility of so much work being expended just to turn a non-firing engine in the 48V systems that have an e-drive mode (this TDI mild hybrid will not so I digress, but the 48V one used in the V6 TDI apparently will). More elegant would be to have the e-motor/generator in the bellhousing replacing/augmenting the clutch or torque converter.

I thought of doing a poor-man's regenerative retarder using a high-amp 12V alternator that is common in competition sound system circles. I'd add a bank of 18-20V li-ion batteries but nominally maintaining a ~60% SoC and standard 14.4V voltage. When I'm coasting or press a steering wheel button, the alternator would kick into full 18V and full amperage (300A is not uncommon), giving me 5.4 kW of retarding power that charges up the batteries. I can then descend down pretty decent grades without touching the brakes and recuperating the electrical energy as a bonus.
I've thought on it too, with some big fat supercapacitors in the mix to suck up the fast spikes of power needed and produced. Some companies make wheel motors that bolt on, could be tossed onto the rear axle real easy.

Finally decided that nah, too much effort.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06390 seconds with 7 queries
[Output: 16.36 Kb. compressed to 14.81 Kb. by saving 1.55 Kb. (9.47%)]