View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2018, 12:12   #3
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Ditto what OH said, but I will say that it would be rare for the fan control module to fail. As much as people have said "it's the FCM" in the end they've been wrong. That module is very reliable. The cooling fans won't bother coming on if the AC isn't coming on so there is that clue. Alternatively I'm not sure if the AC will come on if the fans are inop so that's also something that needs looked at.

You should take it to an AC shop first and have the refrigerant levels checked. If it's leaking they can ad dye to locate the leak.

Further, was it making any odd noises before it quit working? If you can get a socket on the AC comp clutch with the car off you can try and turn the compressor. If the compressor refuses to move with a 3/8" drive ratchet attached then I would say your clutch (or compressor) is shot.

You might also check the pressure switch that's on the bottom of the dryer, tucked into the front right corner ahead of the front wheel. If you see any residue on that switch or oil then it might be leaking.

If you have a Mk3 Bentley I would first take a look at it to see what it says. Relay locations are identified in the manual in the first few pages of the electrical section.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06715 seconds with 7 queries
[Output: 15.44 Kb. compressed to 13.93 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (9.79%)]