View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2017, 01:11   #1
nosmoketoday

TDI(s): MK6 Golf GTD
Fuel Economy: 3.7l/10km
Default Alternative fuels on new cars

Hi fellow TDI owners!

I'm currently driving my 3rd TDI which is a Golf GTD MK6 and my previous ones has both been Sharans, one MK1 and one MK2. I had the MK1 as my first car when I got my drivers lisence back in the days so I ran it on many different fuels. It was a crappy car to begin with so it did not help when I poured WVO into the tank together with kerosene, diesel and even 96% ethanol. All of them worked surprisingly well, even in the cold but now I want to focus on my new car. After all, it has a DPF to take into account and several catalytic converters, so have any of you guys any experience with alternative fuels on new TDI powered cars?

Since I am living in Norway, I have easy access to regular diesel, SVO, kerosene and heating oil. Taking price into account, all of the fuels mentioned here are potential ingredients for making great fuel.

SVO: Takes longer to turn into biofuel because of the "lye and methanol" method. But, it is a proven fuel for both new and old cars. It emitts less CO2, less NOx and even less diesel particulates. All the fuel companies in Norway have 5 to 15% biofuel added to their regular diesel depending on the season.

Kerosene: Slighty more dry than diesel and needs some kind of lubricant added to it to work as regular diesel. In the winter the fuel companies add upp to 40% to their diesel fuel depending on where you live. I guess this practise is the same in Sweden, Finland, Canada, US and other cold places on earth as well?

Heating oil: Has better lubricant properties than kerosene and is very similar to diesel. However I have not seen many people run their cars on this, so any suggestions why ?

I think the best outcome is some kind of mixture between regular diesel and some of the fuels mentioned above. SVO = better for the planet, Kerosene = better for cold days, and Heating oil = cheaper than the others

All opinions, experiences, tips and suggestions are welcome in this post, both negative and positive! Thanks!
nosmoketoday is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06599 seconds with 7 queries
[Output: 16.52 Kb. compressed to 15.03 Kb. by saving 1.49 Kb. (9.03%)]