Official list of HPFP Failures

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. That's EXACTLY why I bit the bullet and bought a new car last week. My 09 has already had the HPFP go out (I installed the Pure/Contain Flow kits after it was repaired) and now the car is starting to give me cooling issues. With me driving 80 miles a day, I decided to just park it until the buyback happens so I don't end up having to pay $$$$ to get something fixed between now and then. I have horrible luck.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
(b) is especially confusing. they can't possibly test anything more than the current load, so how would that even stand up in court, for example? A single tank of fuel can bring these cars to their knees?
From what we have seen over the 8 years these cars have been on the road, yes, a single tank of contaminated fuel or a single misfuel could be enough to destroy the HPFP. Ultra low sulfur diesel contains some level of lubrication and gasoline or water do not. The level in USLD is already on the extremely low side of the tolerances these pumps were built for, so lower that by any amount would be catastrophic. The main reason VW was not forced to recall these pumps is that no one got injured from a failure and VW/Bosch showed some work towards improving the pumps. We know that there have been three upgrades but no one really knows what those upgrades were. The assumption is that they put a more robust (tolerant) coating on the innards of the HPFP.

That's a brief summary of the last 1165 posts and about three other threads that would take days to dig through.

Last edited:

boosted mahi

TDI
shopping
Thanks for the update KJ. I'm interested in the presumed fix. Is that improved coating theory more or less widely accepted as reliable?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It was part of the discussion and belief as to why the failures went down in more recent model years.

dmichael

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I had a HPFP failure in a 2010 JSW TDI with around 80k miles, repair was totally covered %100 by VW, I traded that car in for 2014 JSW TDI model I have now because I read the newer models would have less chance of the failure. It is obviously still occurring in 13 and 14 MY even if it actually is a lower rate. What is mind boggling is that VW could draw a line after the 12 MY and say they are not covering those years even though its the same problem affecting all years just because they lessened (not completely fixed) the issue through some remediation???

This should have been a recall, never mind extended warranty, which luckily for VW, saved them a ton of money.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
thanks for the info...

ok, here we go:

Year: 2010 JSW
Build Date: not sure, car at dealer
Make/Model: Jetta Sportswagon
Tranny: auto
Mileage: 79500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil, Chevron, Shell, local dealers
Additives: no
Problem: Was driving and glow plug light began to flash, car went into limp mode, idled badly for three minutes and died after barely clearing a busy intersection. Wouldn't start.
Towed to dealer under 1-800 roadside plan, paid $12 out of pocket that VW wouldn't to get it to my service/dealer locale (was 36 miles away).
Misfueling guard installed last year (whew).
Dealer: San Juan Capachino VW
Status: taken care of no questions asked. Getting car back today, total 1.5 days in the shop. All parts were in stock. No fuel check was done, or at least sent to VWoA.
However, it was towed with a full tank, and returned with five gallons. That's currently under dispute, as I took a dash photo.
Extended Warranty covered entire $4300 cost, so I can't get too grumpy, other than the $53 UBER fare.
I would be hard pressed to ever own a VW again without warranty coverage.
Service man told me this never happens in Europe since their diesel contains (or doesn't contain) lubricants which make the HPFP work properly.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thanks for the update KJ. I'm interested in the presumed fix. Is that improved coating theory more or less widely accepted as reliable?
You can't fix that fuel pump but you can install a CP3 or a filter kit but he's not making them right now, :(

Year- 2010
Model- Golf sportwagon
Engine 2.0L TDI
Transmission- DSG
KM's- 169,000 (miles 106,000)
No warranty in Canada:mad:
What are you going to do?

shawn120

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi /2010 Golf TDI wagon-Candy white -Pano/multimedia/DSG
You can't fix that fuel pump but you can install a CP3 or a filter kit but he's not making them right now, :(
What are you going to do?

Still deciding... not sure if I should fix it, or if they will take it back in the current condition during the buyback...

from what I have read here, it may have to be in running condition.

darevans

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Automatic Trans
My HPFP grenaded on July 4th. Been sitting at dealership for 2 months while trying desperately to get VOA to do the right thing and pay for the fix or at least discount the fix. My car had 120850 miles (850 miles over the extended warranty). VOA took the position that since the buyback was costing them so much money that the were no longer going to assist customers in ANY way on warranty extensions or by providing parts or labor for the fix as they have done numerous times in the past. Class action attorneys have been involved in mine so I don't think we have heard the last from this issue. I towed mine away from the dealer and have a Guru from this site coming to change my pump and clean or replace any component to make it run again. I will not be driving the car anymore so I just want it to run long enough to turn in back in for the buyback. LAST VW or VW product for me as I have ZERO respect for VW at this point.

447debbie

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2012 Golf
HPFP Failure

Year: 2012
Build Date: July 2011
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 28191 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) BP
Additives: No
Problem: Flashing Glow Plug Light came on one mile from home. Drove car the one mile. Checked faults on VAG-COM.
Code:
1 Fault Found:
000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure 
P0087 - 001 - Too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 45372 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.10.01
Time: 19:54:30
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1288 /min
Inj. Quantity: 32.7 mg/str
(no units): 5.0
Pressure: 808.0 bar
Pressure: 600.0 bar
Temperature: 33.3°C
Tank Cont.: 33.6 l
Had it towed to the dealer. They actually drove it into the shop under its own power. Diagnosed as HPFP failure, found metal fragments in filter.
Dealer: Boucher VW, Janesville, WI

Last edited:

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Year: 2012
Build Date: Unsure, car is still at the dealer so I cannot check the sticker
Make/Model: Golf TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 28191 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) BP
Problem: Flashing Glow Plug Light came on one mile from home. Drove car the one mile. Checked faults on VAG-COM.
Code:
1 Fault Found:
000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure 
P0087 - 001 - Too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 45372 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.10.01
Time: 19:54:30
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1288 /min
Inj. Quantity: 32.7 mg/str
(no units): 5.0
Pressure: 808.0 bar
Pressure: 600.0 bar
Temperature: 33.3°C
Tank Cont.: 33.6 l
Had it towed to the dealer. They actually drove it into the shop under its own power. Diagnosed as HPFP failure, found metal fragments in filter.
Dealer: Boucher VW, Janesville, WI
Did they fill your tank back to where it was?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
VWoA/dealer just did a $4500 repair for no charge (of COURSE the HPFP shouldn't have failed, at only 28k miles!) but seriously...it would NEVER occur to me to fuss over $30 worth of diesel.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
VWoA/dealer just did a $4500 repair for no charge (of COURSE the HPFP shouldn't have failed, at only 28k miles!) but seriously...it would NEVER occur to me to fuss over $30 worth of diesel.
why not? if it wasn't enough you get stranded 45 miles from home on a Saturday night, costing you half your evening (someone's birthday party), and adding a $55 UBER ride home, for a repair, as you say, SHOULDN'T have failed, getting Volkswagen to refill the tank is the f$$@ing least they can do.
Why let the fraudsters off the hook?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealers and the techs aren't fraudsters, they're taking a huge financial hit along with the rest of us.
Your scenario is absurd. "...if it wasn't enough..", AND you were stupid enough not to look at your fuel guage, etc. etc. Ridiculous.
Not my style, to each his/her own.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
why not? if it wasn't enough you get stranded 45 miles from home on a Saturday night, costing you half your evening (someone's birthday party), and adding a $55 UBER ride home, for a repair, as you say, SHOULDN'T have failed, getting Volkswagen to refill the tank is the f$$@ing least they can do.
Why let the fraudsters off the hook?
How many times has a dealer or independent shop filled the fuel tank of your car after doing repairs?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^specifically, a VW dealership? I'm always amazed that so many people think the dealership has zero operating costs.

I've just had my first-ever experience buying a car from a Cadillac dealership (used 2014 Avalon Hybrid). Dealership offers lifetime car washes (with a very good system) for this car, as well as ANY car that I drive in there. I just need to go in and chat with the salesman.
Obviously, they're turning a hefty profit, selling all their "bling" autos, SUVs, etc. etc.
VW dealerships just don't have the same profit margin, AFAIK, especially now, with this diesel disaster (NOT their fault) still looming.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two of the three VW dealers here in Charlotte have free car washes.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^...without any service being done? Any car you own???
Of course, it also depends on the market, and the local economy, right?

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The dealers and the techs aren't fraudsters, they're taking a huge financial hit along with the rest of us.
Your scenario is absurd. "...if it wasn't enough..", AND you were stupid enough not to look at your fuel guage, etc. etc. Ridiculous.
Not my style, to each his/her own.
Who said anything about dealers being fraudsters? I also don't remember saying how much fuel was in my tank, but if you must know, the tank was 9/10 full, and yes, we took a photo of the entire instrument cluster, lit fault lights, and fuel level included.
If I took my car in for a brake job, muffler repair, tire rotation, etc., I would expect the fuel level to be where it was. If VW manufactures a faulty part that requires an additional warranty because the likelihood of failure is so expected, and said part ruins $35 of fuel, then yes, their responsibility doesn't stop at the part. We'll be submitting the UBER receipt as well, since the VWoA phone rep suggested we should.
And since VW wouldn't tow the car all the way to 'our' dealership, we paid the extra for that, and don't expect reimbursement.
While you seem to think VW taking advantage of its customers is your 'style', It's astounding that something as pathetic as a free car wash at a competitors is something worth mentioning, given your high and mighty attitude over lost fuel investment.
I generally don't get personal here, but since your 'style' is to insult people, I have no problem responding to your idiotic reasoning.
Enjoy the Cadillac...

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
How many times has a dealer or independent shop filled the fuel tank of your car after doing repairs?
Not sure, it's the first time I've had a repair shop drain a practically full tank and return it practically empty. The VW dealer had absolutely no problem filling the tank when we asked. We wanted to make sure it wasn't coming out of the service guy's pocket, to which he replied "nope", suggesting VW was paying the freight. He added that they, the service center, would take the $4300 from VW for the warranty repair "all day long", and I don't blame them in the least. We asked him to email a survey if he had one, which we gave the dealership very high scores when it arrived.
Why anyone would not think to ask for a car to be returned the way it was left before warranty work was completed is beyond me, especially considering the incentive bonuses German VW execs awarded themselves earlier this year.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tvmaster: Touche. I didn't carefully read your first statement, which was very clear. "Did they fill your tank back to where it was?" Of course, they should have returned the fuel to the level it was prior to the repair. I thought your advise was to ask for something in excess of a required repair.

"Why let the fraudsters off the hook?" Who were you referring to in your brief saga in post 1177? VAG? VWoA? Sounded like you were slamming the dealership, since you made no reference to either VAG or VWoA.

Last edited:

447debbie

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2012 Golf
Did they fill your tank back to where it was?
No, they did not fill the tank to the same level as it was when I brought it in. Based on the VAG-COM scan I did, and provided to the dealer, I brought it in at 33.6 liters (8.87 gallons).

Hmm, I guess most people don't have VAG-COM scans to look back on.

I filled up on the way home though, so I can't do a scan to see document what they actually gave me however my receipt shows I put in 11.658 gallons and that was about 5 miles from dealership. So let's call it 11.5 to make the math easy. 14.5 gallon tank minus 11.5 gallons means they put 3 gallons in. So...I was shorted 5.87 gallons.

I did stand around for about an extra 30 minutes and talked to the service manager about VW cars and Audi cars so I got information on other items (Audi's oil burning and tensioner problems). I guess I'm not going to complain about the 5 gallons.

TDiTucson

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Plat Grey Loyal Ed
2009 Jetta Loyal Ed HPFP Failure

Year: 2009
Build Date: 07/08
Make/Model: VW / Jetta Loyal Edition
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 124,045
Diesel Fuel Source: Various high volume (Fry's Fuel, Circle K) dispensers
Problem: Driving home and Limp Mode came on (Coil Light flashing and "Engine Fault, Workshop!" message on MFD). Continuing to drive another 10 mi on freeway had MIL illuminate and start to run very rough (felt like engine mount lost or tires badly out of balance). Engine cut out and so coasted on off-ramp to area near intersection. Towed home and checked for metal shavings in fuel filter (found them for sure, like glitter!). Towed next morning with TDI Roadside to dealer to evaluate for possible coverage. Diagnosed as HPFP failure.
Dealer: Larry H. Miller AutoMall, Tucson, AZ
Status: Took it to the dealer to attempt a warranty extension (being only 4K out of ext warranty limits). Submitted to VW and VW Customer Care ahead of bringing to the dealer; would not cover it. The dealer stated it would be 3 days and $4700 (w/tax about $5500). Tried calling car insurance (not covered unless bad diesel), tested fuel was found to be diesel and not bad. Service manager at the dealer said up until about 1.5 months ago they were doing goodwill extensions, but with the Buyback, that has all changed and off the table. Another shop said a similar person only 500 mi out of warranty was also denied coverage for goodwill same year/make anecdotally.

Towed to an indepedent shop who has a "donor" TDI motor to salvage parts from and repair (3 days and $3500-4K) as cheaply as possible. I thought about just doing the HPFP and towing to dealer and then turning it back to them for buyback, but that could be 3+ months and a rental car is $$, but cheaper than an engine killing repair. Going to just repair it and cut my losses, go the buyback route and get a decent used car ASAP.

tdidigitalfix

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Year: 2010
Build Date: Not sure
Make/Model: VW / Jetta Sportwagon
Mileage: 120,551 Miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Last fillup Mobile station in San Diego, CA, Various high volume dispensers
Problem: HPFP Toast
Repair Shop: Taller Mecanico Marquez "Carlos Marquez" Ensenada, MX, B.C. (646)176-73-48, Charly.boy.58@gmail.com
Status: Waiting for buyback date, sitting in running condition in Ensenada, MX

A VW Holiday in Mexico

Happy Holiday Folks

I'm writing this as an informative as well as entertaining narrative.

Prolog

I would strongly recommend if you own a VW TDI vehicle and you plan on keeping it (modified to comply by VW) to reconsider the possible consequences after 120K miles. If you are going to submit the car to VW for buyback I would strongly consider parking it until the car is to be turned in at the dealership.

Chapter 1 "Oh, What a Wonderful Car!!!"

I bought a beautiful VW TDI Sportwagon with moonroof for my dear wife Marianne in August 2010. She always said she wanted a Subaru, but in the end loved this car. Between the government turn in your junker deal, buy a low emissions car deal, VW’s we want to be your friend 1K funny money and the VW buyback deal we probably only paid like $3700 for this car. We drove it for 6 years and over 120,000 miles getting more or less 50 mpg on the highway. Marianne would say we got less MPG, because she has a lead foot. Over the life of the car the dealer did the maintenance for free the 1st 30,000 miles, then I took over the maintenance. The maintenance and repairs always had some entertainment value.

One time when I took the car into the dealer and got it serviced. I walked out to the car with John the service manager and opened the hood after they were finished. Popped open the battery cover and the terminals were totally crusty. John the service manager showed me how to effectively dress down your service Techs. Then there was the malfunctioning intercooler. John spent a good hour with me going over how to replace it and explained that if a rock or something hits the plastic underbelly pan just right it will damage the intercooler underneath. He diagnosed this without looking at the car. I drove away and got about a block, pulled over, and decided to look under the hood. Low and behold I found the intercooler switch wiring harness on top of the engine had been chewed up by a rat that had crawled up next to the warm engine in the middle of the night. Drove back down and showed it to John and he chuckled and said the 2 cars I had parked next to had similar wiring problems from rats. Turns out VW uses soy-based materials in the silver heat shielding wire insulation and rats really like it.

Then there was the air conditioner failure. Turns out VW uses a clutchless AC system. The AC system failed and all the dealers wanted around $1300 to fix it. The compressor needs to be replaced they said. There is a refrigeration control valve on the compressor that takes the place of the clutch. Dealer wants to replace a $900 compressor, I bought a new refrigeration control valve off Ebay for $35 and recharged the system. Total cost, about $100. I gave John the old refrigeration control valve so he could show other costumers how to fix the problem on the cheap.

This car was the most amazing wagon though. We could go from Sacramento to Ensenada, MX for $35 in total comfort. We did that every year too. All while emitting so little emissions nobody would ever see our carbon footprint wherever we went... We loved this car.

Chapter 2 "Volkswagon,... YOU LIED to US"

So then the news hits and you know all about it. Turns out VW has written a routine into their engine control computer to sense when the car is on a smog checking machine at a smog shop that will tune the car to put out less nitrous oxides, then put out 40 times the legal EPA limit after it hits the road. We were really stunned. This was a car that fit right into our environmentally conservative lifestyle and we were so happy with. It would run forever and was so clean, not really? Marianne drove around in the car feeling shamed and ready to move on ASAP from this beast that was a social automotive outcast, fraud, PITA, PoS,... I got lots of letters and emails from many law firms asking to join their class action suits against VW. The courts convened, and the settlement took forever, but they finally came up with a pretty good agreement. I registered the car for the VW buyback online under Marianne's name even though our registration and title for the car was under "Marianne or Me" as the online registration didn't have any way to register for the buyback for ownership of a car the way we were registered. Besides we were going to turn it in in Sacramento. How hard could that be?

We left one weekend to go up to Woodland for a baseball tournament. Turned out that one of my son's team mates father had a VW TDI he was turning in as well for buyback. He said he was going to park it in the garage so nothing would happen to it even though he wouldn't be able to turn it in until the paperwork and buyback process was done in a few months. I thought this was being a little paranoid. Even if it get's in a wreck, insurance would fix it to drive it back in. VW would buy it back regardless of what it looked like as long as it could drive onto the lot under its own power, right? What could happen?

Marianne drove the heck out of that car. To work, on political campaign all over the place,...

Chapter 3 "Thank's Giving Road Trip to Mexico"

Marianne's parents live happily in Playa Corona, Mexico. They're both getting along in life and this is a great place for them. They own 2 little cabana's next to each other about 100 feet from the rolling surf in a retirement vacation community. Life is slow and easy here. Manana Land.

The only drawback of living in Playa Corona, about 50 miles South of the US border, is that the rest of the family lives in Sacramento, CA or the foothills above there about 550 miles away. So we decided to make a Thanks Giving trip down to Chuck and Sidney to wind down and vacation for a week. Marianne mentioned that the glowplug idiot light flashed a couple times a few days before, and I told here I would check it out when I was changing the oil and filter before we left. I changed the oil and saw no warning lights. By the time we left we were all pretty excited about sun and sand South of the border as it was already raining quite a bit in Northern California. We piled everything into the car, including our aging lab Sammi. This was a much easier trip this time as Andrew our son was learning to drive and could share wheel time with mom and dad. In fact, he took my shifts ;-) We filled up in San Diego at a Mobile gas station I found using GasBuddy on my Iphone. Total gas bill was cheap. The expected $35. Onward, Southbound we went. We arrived in the evening and lounged for a couple days acclimating ourselves from the drive to the beach. Playa Corona, miles of sunny beach, Manana Land. Even the dog was chilling hard.

Winding Forward to Thanks Giving. My son Andrew asked me if I would let him drive around town with him. He’s getting his drivers license. No problem. So we drove around town for about a ½ hour then started down highway 1. On the way back down highway 1 he commented he had the gas peddle floored and the car wouldn’t go any faster than 35mph. I looked at the speedometer and noticed the glow-plug idiot light was flashing. So we struggled along back into town. We pulled out of a stop sign with no power and I had him pull into a side street. I popped the hood and looked things over. No magic smoke. Andrew turned it over and nothing happened. I called Marianne and she said she would come out with Chuck to pick us up. They came by and picked us up and we returned home to Playa Corona for Thanks Giving dinner. After dinner a local friend of the family came by and we went back to the car and slowly towed it back home to Playa Corona.

I do IT and have been a problem solver all my life. So it’s not surprising that I was up until 3am in the morning looking for the solution on the web. It was one of 2 things. Either the intercooler had water in it. We had driven through a huge puddle/lake from the rain a couple times or The high-pressure fuel injection pump had self-destructed. Water in intercooler was easy. Loosen the hose clamp, dump the water out. But the high-pressure fuel injection pump (HPFP) was a different story. Hundreds of people had claimed they had this problem and documented it online. They even had a serious class action suit lined up.

Basically, the shaft of the HPFP was originally made of tooled steel and VW upgraded it after they discovered it wasn’t up to snuff. When it goes out it distributes sand size steel and aluminum particles throughout the entire fuel system of the car from the tank to the injectors, destroying the tank fuel pump, and lift pump in the process as well. The repair involves replacing all 3 pumps, the filters, and cleaning all the fuel lines, sensors, injectors,… to a operating room sterile level of 2 microns. Nothing can be present in the system larger than 2 microns. Volkswagon Dealer shops charge $8K-10K to do it!!!

First thought that went through my head. Repair car for $8-10K (Plus tow to border and into US shop) to be able to drive the car onto the lot to get $15K buyback (VW requires car to drive onto lot under its own power). Wow that doesn’t sound good,…does it now.

3am in the morning after Thanksgiving I snuck out to the car to check the odometer. Turn the Key.

120,551 miles

REALLY?

I slunk off to bed. Thinking it is what it is. Hoping, praying there is water in the intercooler.

So the next day we called the local recommended mechanic Carlos. He came by and we put the front wheel trailer rig on the car and he towed it back to his shop. Obviously we were not first in line. I went back to the family and we worked out a plan. I drove Marianne and Andrew up to San Diego, got them a rental car and they drove home. I was staying as “the man on the ground”. So the next day I submitted all the documents online for the Volkswagon buyback process. Both the registration and title designated both my “wife OR me” as the owners of the car. This was intentional. By doing this either one of us can handle anything to do with the car. Volkswagon required copies of the ID of the owner, registration of the vehicle, and title of the vehicle to be faxed, mailed, or uploaded online. I uploaded all of the files in PDF format. 3 hours later they sent back an email refusing the owner ID. I called up and they said that they needed only Marianne’s ID. I said it was there. They said it was not. I told them Marianne would not be able to return the car to the dealer. I was the only one who could do it. They said they had to reset the portal for me to resubmit the info. As the database had Marianne as the primary owner. I should reregister online for the claim in 3 days.

I went to Carlos’s shop and checked on the car. I had found a DIY write-up to fix/clean the fuel system replace the pumps and get the car running. I showed Carlos the write-up. He had a couple cars in front of me, but was going to look at it. Still didn’t know if it was the fuel pump or intercooler. I explained the best I could how to find out but there was a bit of a language barrier, and he was pretty absorbed in the cars in front of ours. The next day I went to an Internet Café and printed out a copy of the DIY fix in color and took it down to him to look at. He opened the fuel filter and it had ¼ inch of metal sand in the bottom. Really Bad. Bad, Bad Bad.

So we discussed the DIY info I gave him. He looked at the material list and thought he could get them cheaper in MX than I could in San Diego. I told him I would check back the next day. I translated the DIY repair write up to Spanish and got it printed at the internet café the next day. I took it down to Carlos. He had checked the local supply house prices and they wanted a $1000 for the HPFP. I told him I could do better in San Diego. So I went back to the house and started pounding the net.

Turns out that the dealers in the US want about the same for the HPFP as MX. However, they want a $100 core charge. Turns out you can buy a remanufactured HPFP for $500 if you ask for it. They won’t tell you that unless you ask. I drove to San Diego the next day. I was driving my father inlaws Chevy Uplander the whole time while this was going down (Thanks Charley and Sydney). If you have ever driven from Mexico across the San Diego border you will know that getting from the edge of Tijuana to the border is different ever time you try, is risky because people drive crazy, have no insurance, people and animals run in and out of the street, and it takes about 2-4 hours. Stressful. I drove into San Diego and got the pump and drove back. 100 miles and one day of driving. Dropped off the pump the following morning. After I got the HPFP so cheap, Carlos sent me back to San Diego again for the other 2 pumps!!! Ughh!!!

I left Carlos to do his magic. I checked the VW claims portal and they said it wasn’t reset. I called Volkswagon and told them it wasn’t reset yet. YadaYadaYada. They said to wait a few more days. I wrote a short summary of what was going on and emailed it to Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann, and Bernstein’s law offices who was dealing with the VW litigation.

Then I started waiting,...

I walked the beach for an hour or so a day in the sun. I researched used cars to replace this car. I ate a lot of street tacos and tamales. I was very lucky to have brought my Mac Air. I installed Kodi and watched a lot of movies in the evening. Marianne lost her debit card and mine got shut down too. The only cash I had down here now was cash in my pocket, and money I got back from Raspberry Pi Kodi (bought a few while in San Diego) boxes I built for the locals. I missed my family,...

I checked on Carlos a couple times, and he was working on it. I really didn’t want to rush him because I knew from personally working on diesel fuel systems before that this was tedious work. 2 microns. No dirt, no dust. In Baja Mexico. I talked to VW again and they said that they were working on it.

While I was car shopping I realized some things obvious, and something’s not. The obvious was buying a new car off the lot was stupid. It would depreciate the minute it hit the curb. But we are now reaching a transportation paradigm with hybrid cars as a well-established norm, and electric self driving cars right around the corner. Straight internal combustion (ICE) cars are out. The 2nd realization was that the car we would be buying was only temporarily going to be Marianne’s. In a couple years Andrew would inherit that car and Marianne would be buying into one of the new used cars whether it was a hybrid or electric. The new used car was going to be a used hybrid.

So I got a call from Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann, and Bernstein’s law offices and explained what was going on. The representative spent about 2 hours in the evening going over what had happened and my recourses available and it turns out I was doing all the right things. He didn’t understand why the Volkswagon contracted claims handling company was so stupid. Saturday morning rolls around and Carlos calls. The car is running!!! OMG! I asked him how much it was going to cost in labor.

11,700 pesos.

I almost passed out right there. 11,700 pesos = $567.49!!! Materials were $800. Total repair cost was $1367.49. Plus food and fuel,… I dodged a big bullet. I love Mexico.

No Wall Please…

I had a buddy drive me down to the bank on Monday and it turned that it was a Mexican national holiday “Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe”. The banks were all closed. I couldn’t wire any money or anything. So my buddy pulled the $560 bucks out of the bank ATM, and I paid him back with Paypal. Then paid Carlos and got the car back runnnnning. Turns out Carlos had 33 hours in labor into fixing it. You do the math. I parked the car behind my in-laws house and figured to drive down when I have a buyback date from VW and drive it to the boarder, then 11 miles to the dealer in San Diego. It runs great, but has a check engine light and the engine diagnostics is showing 2 codes leading to a worn intake gate linkage of some sort. Marianne asked if I was driving up after I got it fixed. Hail no!!! I’m not tempting fate. I could see it now. Stuck in Bakersfield with a clogged injector or some sh...t. No way!!! Cut my losses.

I wrapped up business in Mexico (it’s been 2 ½ weeks of car-chaos) and bummed a ride to the border from a friend, caught a trolley to the train, and Amtrak’ed to Sacramento for $75. So I’m on the train in the rain thinking, watching the beach go by and thinking damn I’m glad I’m not staring at brake lights in the rain. I call up Volkswagon for the 5th time and the lady asks me for my wife or she can’t talk to me about the settlement. Nobody asked for Marianne before. What gives? Thank god for smart phones. I conferenced her in and went on to do business. Turns out that after 5 calls somebody on the other end actually looked at the owner ID file I uploaded and SCROLLED DOWN to find Marianne’s ID was in the file I uploaded to begin with 3 weeks ago. But because they reset the portal I have to download and resubmit the same owner ID PDF file and call back on Friday. She said she could reset the name on the file so I could deal with buy back in San Diego without dragging Marianne down from Sacramento.

So I called Volkswagon on Friday and the lady says she needs to talk to Marianne before she can talk to me. Conference called here in,… Lady says she needs to reset the portal to change the name so I can go pick up the car (last call the lady said she didn’t have to do that). I finally lost it. She told me she would have to hang up if I didn’t stop the profanities.

· The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different response.

· When you do the same thing over and over again and get a different response repeatedly. What’s that?

I tell her I need a manager, and he says I can use a power of attorney and that I can download it from the claim site. We never/don’t need a portal reset or whatever. Well now a different better response that sounds much more promising.

So now here we are at present. I have my Claim Offer and called Volkswagon again. This is a typical call to Volkswagens Claim line. It took me 52 minutes to complete the call. The lady didn’t ask for my wife. Really… She did confirm that the wrong Power of attorney PDF online was the correct one to submit. The power of attorney file she confirmed was correct basically was a document to confirm we have given up all ownership of the car to Volkswagen. That’s definitely not the document to give Volkswagen before you get a check from them. I have submitted all the correct paperwork now and am in waiting mode. I still have to go back down to Mexico to get the VW TDI wagon and bring it up to the border to the dealer to bring it in. This odyssey’s not over yet.

We bought Marianne a pre-owned Prius and we’re really happy with it.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Build Date: Not sure
Make/Model: VW / Jetta Sportwagon
Mileage: 120,551 Miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Last fillup Mobile station in San Diego, CA, Various high volume dispensers
Problem: HPFP Toast
Repair Shop: Taller Mecanico Marquez "Carlos Marquez" Ensenada, MX, B.C. (646)176-73-48, Charly.boy.58@gmail.com
Status: Waiting for buyback date, sitting in running condition in Ensenada, MX

A VW Holiday in Mexico

Happy Holiday Folks

.............This odyssey’s not over yet.

We bought Marianne a pre-owned Prius and we’re really happy with it.
LOL...Great story thanks:D
Such a wonderful experience I am sure.:rolleyes:
Now I recommend renting a trailer capable of towing your tdi to the dealer from Mexico.
Make sure when driving the tdi off the trailer you have witnesses from the dealer...
Good Luck

ku69rd

TDI
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
Build Date: 2010
Make/Model: VW Jetta MK5
Tranny: 5 MT
Mileage: 56154
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell / IOC (Indian Oil Corportation)
Problem: HPFP failed, Completely disintegrated, was able to find metal particles in the CRDI
Dealer: Elite Volkswagen, Bangalore
Status: Paid out of pocket, replaced the Low Pressure Pump, Hi Pressure Fuel Pump, Common Rail and Fuel Filter.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ku69rd: Injectors? Fuel tank? Hope they flushed everything very well, or else you'll be back to Elite with a 2nd failure.
Sorry for your HPFP failure.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
ku69rd: Injectors? Fuel tank? Hope they flushed everything very well, or else you'll be back to Elite with a 2nd failure.
Sorry for your HPFP failure.
Looks like no injectors either?

He said MK5? Didn't know they had HPFP's?