Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I don't feel that it is fair that many of us with newer vehicles will essentially be getting our vehicles bought back for under what we paid for them INCLUDING the compensation money. VW should not be allowed to sell a vehicle for 33,000 and buy it back for 23,000 a year later.
Feel the same

Not too sure what my buy back is

between$21806 and $26,700

But what is the real deal?

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I'll sell you my manual 16 4D GTI PP with APR Stage OnePlus and 8k miles for 2/3 of that same 17 will cost you.;)
Tempting but I already ordered the 4 door 2017 GTI Sport. They now come standard with PP and LP and Nogaro 18" wheels instead of the Austins. ✌

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Yea that's the thing though, not all of us got great deals on our vehicles when they were purchased from the dealership. These variables will create a lot of different scenarios that will lead to many not being made whole. I think the deal sweetening you're hoping for will likely come.
If you paid MSRP or near ...

OUCH

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Why is my favorite option not included?

I have owned a lot of VW's and until i purchased my 13 TDI I had never opted for the lighting package. I will now never by a car without. Every drive home is a pleasure as I watch the lights do their magic. My 16 GTI has Halogens, and I can honestly say, they suck. So my question is why, arguebly one of the best VW options is excluded from the list of paid out options?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, nice!

Tempting but I already ordered the 4 door 2017 GTI Sport. They now come standard with PP and LP and Nogaro 18" wheels instead of the Austins. ��
Didn't know that you could order already. Can I ask what it might cost?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Any info on what these buybacks will look like?

Will they give us a check at the same time we hand over our cars? Or do we get a check first and given some time to find another vehicle?
From http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1781/FTC-Proposed-Stip-Order.pdf page 35

F. For Eligible Owners who elect a Buyback, upon receipt of the title to the Eligible Vehicle by Defendant or a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant) and the surrender of the Eligible Vehicle to a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), (i) an EFT shall be submitted within 3 banking days or (ii) a check shall be provided immediately at the time of the Buyback. Provided, however, for an Eligible Owner who has elected to receive payment by check, (a) if the vehicle is subject to a positive Mileage Adjustment, Defendant shall send an additional check within 3 banking days for the amount of the positive adjustment or (b) if the Eligible Vehicle is subject to a negative Mileage Adjustment, a check will not be provided immediately and instead Defendant will issue and send a new check within 3 banking days for the adjusted amount.

Mike777

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI (6MT; 2-door; black)
For those wondering on when the fixes may be made available, there is a table on page 33 of Appendix B in the Partial Consent Decree (page 112 in the pdf file):

Generation, Settling Defendants Expected Submittal Date, Settling Defendants Final Submittal Deadline, Emissions Modification Proposal
1 cars, 2016-Nov-16, 2017-Jan-17, Part A, B, & C
2 cars, 2016-Dec-16, 2017-Mar-03, Part A, B, & C
3 cars, 2016-Jul-29, 2016-Oct-14, Part A, B, & C
3 cars, 2017-Aug-15, 2017-Oct-30, Part D

The following paragraphs then go into what each modification proposal entails, such as Part A covers the recall/remedial plan, Part B is OBD compliance, Part C is data from vehicles with the proposed emissions modifications, and on & on........

Would post a screenshot but for some reason I'm unable to load images to this website - the insert images widget opens some text editor box...WT.....

Mike777

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI (6MT; 2-door; black)
Has anyone seen a detailed breakdown of all the affected cars by model, model year, 2-dr, 4-dr, etc., etc.?
The general number tossed around most often is ~475,000 cars affected and the proposed settlement says VW is setting aside $10,033,000,000 to cover the buyback & fix program. That equates to an average of ~$21,115/vehicle. We know that won't be the average for the buybacks and fixes... Juts trying to get a ballpark amount of how much the lawyers are getting out of this deal. Knowing the breakdown of the vehicles by year and model, etc., we can get closer to how much the lawyers are making on this deal.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
For those wondering on when the fixes may be made available, there is a table on page 33 of Appendix B in the Partial Consent Decree (page 112 in the pdf file):

Generation, Settling Defendants Expected Submittal Date, Settling Defendants Final Submittal Deadline, Emissions Modification Proposal

The following paragraphs then go into what each modification proposal entails, such as Part A covers the recall/remedial plan, Part B is OBD compliance, Part C is data from vehicles with the proposed emissions modifications, and on & on........

Would post a screenshot but for some reason I'm unable to load images to this website - the insert images widget opens some text editor box...WT.....
Good information. It looks like VW has proposed fix for the 3rd gen ready to go. (And start selling the unsold 2015/2016). Perhaps it is a relatively simple fix.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the great link.

Looking forward to hearing what will be done with the 16 TDI's. Since owning and driving both I have determined that I get a bigger thrill out of 700 miles per tank then sub 6 second 0 to 60.

Both are amazing cars, and I am in the car business and drive every vehicle out there, and I still treasure my miles in a VW. TDI will be my first option. IF not I will by a wholesale car to get me by until a great VW all electric car comes availible.

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
Any ideas??

Any ideas why the 2015's will need a 2 step modification:
Two-Step Approved Emissions Modifications for Generation 3 Vehicles. Assuming EPA and CARB grant the necessary approvals, Eligible Vehicles with Generation 3 engines will need to be modified in two steps. Accordingly, Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees of Generation 3 Eligible Vehicles who elect an Approved Emissions Modification will be offered two-thirds (2/3) of their Restitution Payment upon submitting their vehicles for the first stage of the Approved Emissions Modification and the remaining one-third (1/3) of their Restitution Payment, as well as a free oil change with respective engine oil filter, to the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee, upon submitting their vehicles for the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification. If ownership of the Eligible Vehicle changes after the first step but before the second step, then the second payment will be made to the owner of the car at the time it is submitted for the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification. The amount of any mileage adjustment to the Restitution Payment will be based on the mileage reading on the Class Member’s first visit.

mbalmr

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I bought my 2012 w/ 20k on in for 19,000 in 2013. If the 21k for the buy back and 40k miles for free it will be a once in a lifetime deal for me. I understand that not everyone is in the same situation but that's also the reason I buy a used auto over a new and never some over inflated extended warranty. The first owner eats the deprecation regardless including this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yankees25

TDI
'09 JSW TDI
As a '09 JSW owner (133K miles), this settlement blows. My beef is offering the clean trade-in value. I don't trade in my cars, I sell them private party. This settlement deprives me of that gain, failing to offer much beyond what I could have gotten before had I sold it that way. It also doesn't do much to compensate those of us that had to stomach the cost of replacing a cracked DPF on the '09's. Someone should setup a Survey Monkey to poll those on the forum if they are happy with the offer and if they plan to accept it, broken down by year.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone sees anything about that car having to be driven to the dealer to get it bought back, please let me know. Reading all these posts but not seeing anything so far. My HPFP blew and I'd rather not pay to get it fixed if its not needed.
From http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1781/FTC-Proposed-Stip-Order.pdf page 7-8

V. “Eligible Vehicle” means Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that are (1) in the table immediately below this paragraph; (2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, is currently Operable or ceases to be Operable after the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification.
Eligible Vehicle excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Any ideas why the 2015's will need a 2 step modification:
Two-Step Approved Emissions Modifications for Generation 3 Vehicles. Assuming EPA and CARB grant the necessary approvals, Eligible Vehicles with Generation 3 engines will need to be modified in two steps. Accordingly, Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees of Generation 3 Eligible Vehicles who elect an Approved Emissions Modification will be offered two-thirds (2/3) of their Restitution Payment upon submitting their vehicles for the first stage of the Approved Emissions Modification and the remaining one-third (1/3) of their Restitution Payment, as well as a free oil change with respective engine oil filter, to the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee, upon submitting their vehicles for the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification. If ownership of the Eligible Vehicle changes after the first step but before the second step, then the second payment will be made to the owner of the car at the time it is submitted for the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification. The amount of any mileage adjustment to the Restitution Payment will be based on the mileage reading on the Class Member’s first visit.
Step 1, remove the cheat changing the DEF dose rate, it's way under what it should be and simply turning it back up gets a long way towards getting under the limit.

Step 2, deal with the EGR and DPF problem. EGR is run much higher in cheat the test mode than regular drive around mode. The EGR rate causes the DPF to plug, so they have to figure that out, guessing that gets it the rest of the way under the limit, alternately, a bigger SCR to further up the DEF dose might be in play. This one is the guess, the first one is stupid simple.

89s rule

TDI
'05 Passat GL Wagon
My question is is there a purchase date cutoff? For instance if the tdi was purchased after September 2015? Or even after June 2016?

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Feel the same

Not too sure what my buy back is

between$21806 and $26,700

But what is the real deal?
Just guessing on this Okie

I guess you have the Golf "S" as opposed to "SE" or "SEL" am I right ?

so, your buyback is $23,586 + $1140 for the buyback adjustment (as I'm guessing you have less than 5000 miles) These amounts are on the tables and charts.

equals $24,726 YOUR BUYBACK APPROX CALCULATION

note this only a guess or an approximation

this does not also include your $1000 Goodwill from Santa VW

2015**Note: amounts for 2015 model year are approximate
Hatchback 4D TDI S I4 Turbo
All $**23,586 $**6,420
Hatchback 4D TDI SE I4 Turbo
All $**27,202 $**7,023
Hatchback 4D TDI SEL I4 Turbo
All $**29,546 $**7,413

The second amount $6420 + $190 = $6610 modification adjustment (since you have less than 5K miles) is if you want to fix your car and wait 2 years, which as I recall you're thinking to trading in your TDI for a gasser. So you won't get that unless you keep your car and wait for a fix (assuming they ever come up with a fix).

The VW dealers will probably help you understand the tables, just go hassle 'em.

You're lucky you have low mileage, I'm paying a minus $1770 mileage penalty for my 2009 Jetta TDI DSG which they are offering me $11,447 :eek:

depreciation

see tables:

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._2b_-_beetle_and_jetta_mileage_table.pdf

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes and Yes

My question is is there a purchase date cutoff? For instance if the tdi was purchased after September 2015? Or even after June 2016?
I believe June 28 is a hard line in the sand. Post Sept 15 is another where you have to share 50% of the modifacation cost with owner prior to Sept 15, if I am not mistaken

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI

Bigger concern, VW gets 1 shot at the fix, if CARB/EPA reject it, they get 1 chance to fix all the things CARB/EPA rejected it for, then it's a final, yes/no. With 1 fix already rejected, not looking so good here.

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I am hugely disappointed with the mileage calculation and the decrease in the settlement offer. It is far greater than I thought it would be and, to be honest, doesn't make much sense to me (especially if the whole point of this exercise is to get these polluting cars off the road). These cars are NOT being traded in for resale (at least for the older models without the urea system). They cannot be resold and will probably either be scrapped or shipped to some third world country for resale (which I think shouldn't be allowed...just pushing the problem off onto another country doesn't help). So why should the mileage matter at this point? Why nickel and dime us? Decreasing the settlement offer for high mileage might also be counter intuitive. Those of us with high mileage cars have done the most damage and will CONTINUE to do the most damage as we drive the MOST. Shouldn't they want to get our cars off the road the most? Also, I would say many consumers buy diesels BECAUSE the engine can take higher miles. I initially thought the settlement offer for my 2011 4-dr 6MT Golf with 110k miles might be worth it...but now I am not so sure.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1781/FTC-Proposed-Stip-Order.pdf page 6

R. “Eligible Owner” means the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the deadline to submit a claim under the Settlement Program, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015 and purchased the Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016 shall be an Eligible Lessee. For avoidance of doubt, an Eligible Owner ceases to be an Eligible Owner if he transfers ownership of the Eligible Vehicle to a third party on or after June 28, 2016; and a third party who acquires ownership of an Eligible Vehicle on or after June 28, 2016 thereby becomes an Eligible Owner if that third party otherwise meets the definition of an Eligible Owner.

Deadline appears to be detailed on page 17

H. At least 180 days prior to December 30, 2018, Defendant shall send every
Eligible Consumer that has not elected a remedy or scheduled an appointment pursuant to
Section XIII a notice by at least two different means reasonably calculated to reach the consumer
(such as mail and email, or email and phone) (“Reminder Notice”). The Reminder Notice shall
inform such Eligible Consumers of the deadlines to file a claim application and/or schedule an
appointment in order to receive compensation pursuant to this Order and shall direct them to the
claims website governed by Section XIII. At least 150 days prior to December 30, 2018,
Defendant shall send a second Reminder Notice to those Eligible Consumers who have not yet
submitted a claim application or scheduled an appointment pursuant to Section XIII following
the first Reminder Notice.

Last edited:

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe June 28 is a hard line in the sand. Post Sept 15 is another where you have to share 50% of the modifacation cost with owner prior to Sept 15, if I am not mistaken
The split to the seller ends today, beyond today, whoever has title before the end of 2018 gets the deal.

See prior post for the location in the docs to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.