TDI Auto to manual swap - looking for a mate

r.korey

TDI
2003 VW JETTA TDI
Hey all,

I am in Reno and I need to swap out my Auto. I would love to perform an auto to 5 speed swap with Frans's kit. And I would like to have help through the process by someone that has finished one of these swaps successfully. If you are interested and you are within 400mi of Reno I would be willing to drive out and do the job onsite.

Thank you for thinking it over.

Also, I have the tools and VCDS to get the job done, I just do not want to be working on this for a week on my own versus 2 days with help from someone better in the verse.

-Korey

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
It's basically a weekend job and not that bad really and you already have VCDS to do it right.
If you are getting a kit from Frans, just go with the 6 speed and be done with it. I drive through Reno on a regular basis (in fact I go through there Sunday the 24th of April).
Check out the howto linked in my sig below and you should be good to go. Just need something to hold the engine up and a helper.
When were you going to tackle this project? Reno is only 830 miles or 13 hours from Coeur d'Alene, ID lol.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
X2 on the 6speed. Might as well have the extra gear if you intend to do it anyway

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Co-sign on the 6-speed plan.
If you're going through all that hassle, skip the tweener-step and get all the joy and benefit of the big-boy transmission. :)

r.korey

TDI
2003 VW JETTA TDI
Thanks for the input, looking towards the 6 speed! =)

boertje going to send you a PM sorry about the delay in reply I am towards the last end of the semester and if all goes well never will I have to take a course again!

Cheers all.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Or a BEW 5 speed.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Could you point me at more info on this?
From what I was told, its a 2 year transmission with lower gearing. I have driven ALH 5 speeds and the freeway rpm is close to the 01M. IIRC, at 65 mph, they were around 2900 rpm whereas my BEW 5 speed manual is around 2400 rpm. :cool: I could be off on the actual rpm's but you get the picture. The difference is about 500 rpm.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
From what I was told, its a 2 year transmission with lower gearing. I have driven ALH 5 speeds and the freeway rpm is close to the 01M. IIRC, at 65 mph, they were around 2900 rpm whereas my BEW 5 speed manual is around 2400 rpm. :cool: I could be off on the actual rpm's but you get the picture. The difference is about 500 rpm.
:confused:

I'm running around 2,400 at 65mph (roughly). Trying to recall what it is at 70mph, but pretty sure I'm still well under 2,900 rpm (I think I don't see that range until almost 80mph?). I'll make a note to be more observant on this.

Just wanting to decide on what manual trans I want to drop into my wife's daughter's wagon when the auto gives up.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I'm running around 2,400 at 65mph (roughly). Trying to recall what it is at 70mph, but pretty sure I'm still well under 2,900 rpm (I think I don't see that range until almost 80mph?). I'll make a note to be more observant on this.

Just wanting to decide on what manual trans I want to drop into my wife's daughter's wagon when the auto gives up.
Like I said, I am probably off on the rpm thing but between the ALH and BEW, the BEW is roughly 500 rpm lower.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Some, but not as much as one would hope. I spend most of my driving above 70mph and that is where the benefit is. If one seldom sees north of 70, it becomes a waste of money to go 6 speed. Must say it is a stout transmission though.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've done plenty of these swaps as well. If you and Jack can't get schedules to line up, let me know.

I have gotten them done in one day a couple times, but I generally tell people to plan on 2 days. Sometimes you have unexpected issues.

I'm in the Bay Area, shop is in Marin County--San Anselmo.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS & Jetta GLS(Parts Store), 2015 Passat 6spd
I'm at 3k @85mph. Definitely going the 6spd route when this one craps out. Mileage is 44mpg. If I drive 75mph or less it's 50mpg. Big difference and it's all related to the higher RPM's.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I've done plenty of these swaps as well. If you and Jack can't get schedules to line up, let me know.
I have gotten them done in one day a couple times, but I generally tell people to plan on 2 days. Sometimes you have unexpected issues.
I'm in the Bay Area, shop is in Marin County--San Anselmo.
Right! Matt, have tools, will travel. Matt can only do it in one day if he leaves Murphy at home :D

HelenaTDI, exactly the reasons I went with the 6 speeds.

Last edited:

r.korey

TDI
2003 VW JETTA TDI
Thank you for the offer Matt, I will certainly keep you in mind.

@ Matt/Jack: When you have done swap have you done one just using jack stands? And if you have used a jack stand method what complications come up under this setup?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I considered the 6 speed but just went with a 3.16 R&P. Works great with my PD 5th gear .744

I didn't have the funds at the time to go with the 6 speed, new axles, and related equipment

If I had the ALH .756 I would skip the PD 5th and get a .717 5th gear. I think that would be a perfect 5 speed set up with a 3.16 R&P

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Thank you for the offer Matt, I will certainly keep you in mind.

@ Matt/Jack: When you have done swap have you done one just using jack stands? And if you have used a jack stand method what complications come up under this setup?
even though i have a lift i use jackstands on every auto>manual swap because i discovered i could do them much faster on the ground ... just get it up high enough and make sure the car is very secure

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not even close .... the difference between the BEW five speed and the ALH five speed is probably not even 50 rpm at 70 ... .756 vs .744 fifth ... do the math please
Don't need to do math, driven both, and yes, there is aprox 500 rpm difference, ok, maybe 400 rpm, sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Took a pic last night, 2400 rpm at 75 mph, 2600 rpm at 78 mph. I'll try to get the needle exactly on the mph numbers and try again. :D Hard to take a pic, drive and not hit anyone, lol.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Don't need to do math, driven both, and yes, there is aprox 500 rpm difference, ok, maybe 400 rpm, sorry to burst your bubble.
you either need a new trans a new tach a new speedo or the correct size tires ;) ... i drive a BEW with a stock EUH five speed have owned half a dozen ALH cars with DQY, EBJ and EGR code trannies, performed nearly 70 auto to manual swaps in the last ten years using all the above codes in PD cars and ALH cars and noway in h3ll there is a 400 rpm difference between any of those trans codes with the same size tires ... the R&P's are all the same and difference in the fifth ratio does not deserve a second glance ... no bubbles to burst here except yours because i have the math and the experience on my side :)... a few possibilties here:
you have huge tires on your BEW
you have an upgraded fifth on your BEW
you have a 3.13 R&P on your BEW
the ALH has an awp 1.8t trans
or one of the cars has the incorrect ppm cluster coding
... there is simply no room in the math for a 400 rpm difference @ 70 MPH ... more like 35-40 rpm real numbers

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
EUH:
R&P: 61/18 (3.389)
1st: 34/9 (3.778)
2nd: 33/16 (2.063)
3rd: 31/23 (1.348)
4th: 29/30 (0.967)
5th: 29/39 (0.744)

EGR:
R&P: 3.389
1st: 3.778
2nd: 2.118
3rd: 1.360
4th: 0.971
5th: 0.756

Jimbote is right. 1.6% does not equate to 400 rpm in stock 02J EUH and EGR differences. More like around 48 rpm.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tire sizes are right, gps speed verified. VW wrecker also said the same. I've driven numerous ALH 5 speeds and mine is way lower.

Guess I got a one off trans then, :p

r.korey

TDI
2003 VW JETTA TDI
For those that have done a 6-speed swap, can you direct me to which clutch you settled on? And what is your opinion on the clutch you settled on?

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
The clutch I used is the sachs kit for the PD150. That part number is Sachs 2289 601 001 and does not come with the releaser (throughout bearing). Sachs 2289 601-005 is the part number including releaser. That kit as far as I know is not available here in the US yet that is the proper OEM clutch kit for our diesels with the 02M. This is the only one that I have used. Ask Frans about if you order from him. RyanP has these in stock as well. That releaser part number is 02M 141 671 A.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought a Sachs clutch kit for an 02M here in North America, put it all together...and found out that (as boertje states), while it might look the same, the pressure plate was about 2mm too thin. So, it got melted to shreds and I got to do the clutch job in my driveway yet again.

(Aforementioned shreds noticeable in the NA pressure plate on the left)

So, as stated, buy the PD150 clutch from Frans or ryanp.
(The throwout bearing does, however, appear to be the same between NA and EU; but as long as you're buying the clutch and transmission from them, toss in the throwout bearing as it's negligible cost.)

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Nuje, could have been worse. It could have been a re-do on a heater core!:eek: (heard about folks putting in cheap ones and then within a few months having to do that horrible job all over again!) But, much of the work is "inside." Laying on the ground isn't a lot of fun: that's my environment; and, I'm old!