DPF replacement question

tcbluejayfan

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI. My DPF appears to be going as I have the DPF light on as well as the Glow Plug light flashing, and the CEL light on.

I dont want to do the DPF/EGR delete as I want to keep it stock in case I move to a location with inspections.

My thought is to replace the DPF (as mine is likely cracked, from my understanding) but my question is whether or not I would need to replace the EGR as well.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I think you need to take it to someone who can properly diagnose your issues and actually determine the DPF levels and what codes it is throwing before deciding to replace the DPF system.

tcbluejayfan

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
It has been diagnosed, and they attempted to force a regeneration, but were unable to. I was told that this was due to the DPF failing.

So my basic question is if I replace the DPF do I need to replace the EGR? Do the EGR's fail?

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Return. That is a complicated system. You asked if it could fail. The simple answer is yes, it can fail. A good diagnosis would have pulled codes that that would have helped you find out what was failing.

A cracked DPF will mean a plugged EGR filter. That will need replaced. You might need to have your intake cleaned depending on your mileage and buildup. You might have Cat's plugged as well. You might have an exhaust flapper that is not working right. This whole thing might be fixed with a squirt of WD-40.....

Those lights you have, Glowplug and DPF light flashing, can mean about 30 things wrong.

Check this map out and maybe find a Trusted Mechanic to take it to. VW's are not something you can normally take to a regular joe mech.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&t=h&msa=0&z=3&ie=UTF8&mid=znhPuWpQhU2E.k9y-RZvT5BhM

Just some suggestions.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
You need to post the code so we can help.
If its a P0401 its that the EGR filter is plugged and that is from the DPF being cracked.
I have been finding a lot of people here are saying to wait till the recall comes and just running this way.
I do make and install a EGR filter that will shut off the P0401.
What I have found that if you run the car with the P0401 for a long time it stops the EGR system for working. This locks the 2 EGR valves and over time they get stuck.

So if you bring it in for the recall and the DPF replacement is part of the fix you will be on the hook for the EGR valves.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The answer is perhaps.

more questions come to mind.

how many miles on the car?

who did the diagnosis?

what exactly are the codes?

what other symptoms are there? (is the tailpipe sooty?)

how long have the lights been on the instrument panel?

What are the current readings for measured and calculated soot?
requested regenerations? miles since regeneration? DPF differential pressure at idle?

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
I believe there is an emissions warranty coverage 80k or 100k miles, not sure. Perhaps you can invoke that if you mileage is low. Looking forward, we don't know what VW is planning regarding the fix to the emission hardware, but most probably they are going to swap out a few things. I would park the car, wait and see what the recall covers before committing lots of $. In the meantime, you may need to get alternative transportation.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
If you have a cracked DPF and you replace it I would replace your EGR filter as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BBD

TDI
Not Yet
I believe there is an emissions warranty coverage 80k or 100k miles, not sure. Perhaps you can invoke that if you mileage is low. Looking forward, we don't know what VW is planning regarding the fix to the emission hardware, but most probably they are going to swap out a few things. I would park the car, wait and see what the recall covers before committing lots of $. In the meantime, you may need to get alternative transportation.
I belive its 80K, mine was replaced no charge at 78K :)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI. My DPF appears to be going as I have the DPF light on as well as the Glow Plug light flashing, and the CEL light on.

I dont want to do the DPF/EGR delete as I want to keep it stock in case I move to a location with inspections.

My thought is to replace the DPF (as mine is likely cracked, from my understanding) but my question is whether or not I would need to replace the EGR as well.
http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW Files/2-0-TDI-SSP.pdf

see page 65 (as marked on page bottom)

from your warning light situation, your car likely thinks there is more than 40 grams of soot in the DPF.

the two questions which need a quick answer is how much soot the computer estimates are in the DPF, both measured and estimated, and why it got so high.

if you just put it off, it is more likely that the DPF will really need to be replaced, and not just a possibility.

If the DPF is full of soot because of a sensor issue, or because you idled it for week, or never drove over a mile at a time, it is likely you will not need a new EGR filter to go with the DPF.

The proof is in the inspection. a clogged or full DPF which does not leak, will not clog up the EGR filter.

juggaknot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker. I'm currently experiencing the same issue with all 3 lights and i'm assuming it's my DPF being full.

2011 Jetta TDI
108,000 kms

Some background:

I had an issue with one of my hoses coming off from the intercooler(sounded like a boost leak).. We drove for about a day and a half with it and during this time, we drove at around 1000 rpm. By this time, all 3 of the lights started coming on.

Prior to the fix of the hose, 3 codes popped up:
P20D8
P0478
P2463

After the hose was fixed, the remaining code is now

I'm assuming as a result of the very low rpm driving (and combined with all city driving), the soot built up. We tried clearing the code but the lights remain. I tried doing regen driving on the highway but to no avail.

That said, am I doing permanent damage to the car by driving it? It doesn't feel any different, and still pulls as normal. Fuel consumption seems to have not changed as well.

Or do I have to get this manually cleaned/replaced?

thanks,

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those lamps and the 09315 indicate that the engine control computer thinks you have too much soot for an active regeneration.

the active regenerations are critical to maintain the particulate emissions control, and if you do not get it fixed, you will have to clean or replace the DPF. (if it is not too late)

There are a couple things you could try, but it takes a close look at the VCDS values.

do not delay in getting to the bottom of this.

do you have a VCDS?

juggaknot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Unfortunately I don't. I could try to find someone local to get them to scan and determine the amount of soot.

What are those other things that I could try, assuming I have not past the threshold?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with a VCDS, you can look at the measuring values for dpf pressure, measured and calculated soot,

and distance since last regen (or time or fuel, or all)

and run a full auto-scan.

if it turns out that everything is working (sensors....) and the measured soot is acceptable, but calculated is not, you could use the VCDS to lie to the computer that the DPF has been replaced, which should reset the calculated soot. if the measured is within range, a quick drive would result in an active regeneration and you would be good to go.

if the measured soot is anywhere close to the high end of what is acceptable, I would want a nice open road to do the active regen on. (for good ventilation airflow around the exhaust) if the sensors used for the measured soot are working ok, and the value is too high, i would skip to replacing or cleaning the DPF

How did you end up with the intercooler hoses messed up in the first place?

juggaknot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
with a VCDS, you can look at the measuring values for dpf pressure, measured and calculated soot,

and distance since last regen (or time or fuel, or all)

and run a full auto-scan.

if it turns out that everything is working (sensors....) and the measured soot is acceptable, but calculated is not, you could use the VCDS to lie to the computer that the DPF has been replaced, which should reset the calculated soot. if the measured is within range, a quick drive would result in an active regeneration and you would be good to go.

if the measured soot is anywhere close to the high end of what is acceptable, I would want a nice open road to do the active regen on. (for good ventilation airflow around the exhaust) if the sensors used for the measured soot are working ok, and the value is too high, i would skip to replacing or cleaning the DPF

How did you end up with the intercooler hoses messed up in the first place?
I think I tried doing an active regen but to no avail. I believe you have to drive in 4th or 5th for 15-20 minutes at over 2k rpm?

I don't remember how the hose got to that condition, but I do know that my mechanic had to replace it with a new one. With the damaged hose, it sounded like a boost leak as everytime I pressed on the gas, there would be a huge hissing sound. Eventually, you could tell performance was suffering and the driving got to where I was driving in the 1k rpm range (which would lead to where i'm at now).

Hopefully this can still be fixed as I really don't want to go the cleaning/replacing route. In fact, replacing is not feasible paying over $4000 for this thing. I've spoken to a few DPF cleaning places (where they clean trucks), and they said they would have to cut off the piece and re-weld. I can only imagine how much it would be. Hence my question of what are the long term effects of driving a car with a filled DPF?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The place in CT I linked to does not cut anything to clean the DPF.

time is not your friend.

if the DPF is too full of soot, and will not active regenerate the DPF,

sooner or later, the whole thing will clog with soot, and back into the turbo.

not sure exactly when, how long, or what the symptoms will be. (but probably will happen in the middle of a snowstorm, if it was my car...)

juggaknot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

shane772

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan TDI
Pretty sure VW upped the warranty period on emissions stuff to 120k miles a few months ago.

juggaknot

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I e-mailed VW Canada and they said DPF is not covered under the Emissions Warranty but under the 4 year New Vehicle Limited warranty.

Anyway, mechanic just stated my soot load is 45.9 grams. 0.9 grams over the max threshold. This blows.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As a follow-up,

juggaknot and I exchanged a couple messages as he dealt with this.

His mechanic, Independent Tuning (Scarborough, Ontario, Canada), was able to use a DPF cleaning fluid treatment to reduce and rearrange the the soot to reduce the measured soot level after treatment and drives to passively regenerate, and convert the soot.

The product used in this case is http://www.gat-ireland.com/product/dpf-air-jet-fluid/

Follow-on reset of the calculated soot with a VCDS was then performed:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4829285&postcount=6

Which cleared all but the DPF lamp, which stayed illuminated until completion of an automatic DPF active regen cycle. He was happy to see the DPF light go away a couple days after the cleaning.

The whole experience cost him $391 (CAD), and the couple trips back and forth to the mechanic. The DPF or other exhaust parts did not have to be removed. (The process to spray the product does include temporary removal of a sensor or two to allow access upstream of the DPF)

Remember, in this case, there were no other faulty sensors, or other issues. The excess soot had come from driving around with a large boost leak. (loose intercooler hose)