2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Year:2012
Build Date:
Make/Model:jetta sportwagen
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 81706
Diesel Fuel Source: quick trip, kum and go
Additives:no
Problem:not entirely sure, vw just called me, and accused me of putting gas into the car, but said they would fix it.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Status: dealer at this time claiming that since we are good customers they will cover.

Trying to obtain copy of receipt from gas station though, I'm fairly certain I put in diesel. Kinda put off by the fact that they essentially claimed that I put gas into the vehicle.

Will call tomorrow to ask what actually is damaged, I get the feeling it's likely going to be the fuel pump. Will also be asking why they believe I put gas instead of diesel into the vehicle.

Even though VW is officially going to cover it, I'm not happy by the initial contact. That and I can't really be sure that this will solve this issue once and for all. What happens the second time when the fuel pump fails? Will vw cover it again, or will we be stuck with bill?

Will also be submitting to nhtsa, while the vehicle did not stall, it had very little power and had difficulty climbing even small grades, and could not accelerate. We felt that this was a danger to traffic, and considered having the vehicle towed.
Below is a link to the March 27, 2015 NHTSA Engineering Analysis Closing Report for investigation EA 11-003 concerning failure of the TDI HPFP
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM475595/INCR-EA11003-61863.pdf
I suggest you give it a read ultimase. In professional hands this will give very damming evidence concerning the lack of data that Volkswagen had to substantiate it's claims of miss fueling. Read it carefully.
I would suggest showing it to the people at your dealership.
Giv em el

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Build Date: not sure
Make/Model: Jetta SportWagen
Mileage: 63,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell and BP
Additives: No
Problem: Two stalls on startup yesterday (16 February), flashing GPL and limp mode, ironically while on the way to dealer for 60k service. So far, technicians have mentioned hpfp and metal flakes, aside from that, no details yet.
Dealer: Heritage VW
Status: still pending, dealer's technicians working with VWoA tech line
Update - the internal fuel pump had failed, so the fuel system was drained and the pump and fuel filter replaced. Had the 60k service done as well.

I was on the road from MD to NYS on 7 May and had a strange issue...blue tooth started to glitch, I could not receive calls..the phone would ring but I could not hear anyone when I tried to answer and I could not make any calls. Shortly after that, I had a flashing GPL and loss of power (on 83N near Harrisburg). I got to an exit, parked, and restarted the car. The phone then worked and the GPL was no longer lit. I still felt like I had reduced power and I am hearing a whining/moaning noise from the front right corner of the car (from the perspective of the driver's seat.) I decided to turn around and get the car back to the dealership in Bmore. I am dreading hearing what the problem is , as the car is now at 63000 miles and out of warranty.

Update - 12 May - after having the in-tank fuel pump replaced under warranty 3,000 miles ago, I learned from the dealer that the HPFP has failed and that metal was found throughout the fuel system, entire fuel system needs to be replaced ($5400). Given that I am now out of warranty, the dealer was engaging VW to see about a "good faith" repair. I am now wondering if the HPFP hadn't already failed or had significant damage 3,000 miles ago? In any case...this is another fuel system repair 3,000 miles after another significant fuel system repair and it seems like their recent repair should cover this latest mess. I've also been paying for a rental since Friday, after dropping the car off at the dealer. Not very happy.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
thenewguy: Not likely that the HPFP would go 3k miles in "failure" mode.
As for full warranty coverage: Hopefully, VWoA has already approved the repair, and you shouldn't have to push for anything. If precedent dictates, than your rental car should be covered, as well.
Please re-post after the repair. Good luck!

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I was just wondering how likely it would be that some metal made it through the fuel filter 3k miles ago when the in-tank fuel pump failed? In other words, how likely was it that something wasn't diagnosed or correct 3k miles ago and is involved with the current hpfp failure?

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
I was just wondering how likely it would be that some metal made it through the fuel filter 3k miles ago when the in-tank fuel filter failed?
Very likely that it circulated through the fuel system for sometime before HPFP failed.
IMO

TDI_Stewie

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Year: 2012
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 69k
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, 76, Chevron
Problem: HPFP failed per dealer. Went into limp mode, pulled over as was unsure issue. Turned it off and no restart. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: Claremont VW
Status: Currently being repaired. 2 week timeframe. Dealer called VOA and no issue covering the repairs. Free rental car for time being repaired.

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Problem: Two stalls on startup yesterday (16 February), flashing GPL and limp mode, ironically while on the way to dealer for 60k service. So far, technicians have mentioned hpfp and metal flakes, aside from that, no details yet.
Update - the internal fuel pump had failed, so the fuel system was drained and the pump and fuel filter replaced. Had the 60k service done as well.

I was on the road from MD to NYS on 7 May and had a strange issue...blue tooth started to glitch, I could not receive calls..the phone would ring but I could not hear anyone when I tried to answer and I could not make any calls. Shortly after that, I had a flashing GPL and loss of power (on 83N near Harrisburg). I got to an exit, parked, and restarted the car. The phone then worked and the GPL was no longer lit. I still felt like I had reduced power and I am hearing a whining/moaning noise from the front right corner of the car (from the perspective of the driver's seat.) I decided to turn around and get the car back to the dealership in Bmore. I am dreading hearing what the problem is , as the car is now at 63000 miles and out of warranty.

Update - 12 May - after having the in-tank fuel pump replaced under warranty 3,000 miles ago, I learned from the dealer that the HPFP has failed and that metal was found throughout the fuel system, entire fuel system needs to be replaced ($5400). Given that I am now out of warranty, the dealer was engaging VW to see about a "good faith" repair. I am now wondering if the HPFP hadn't already failed or had significant damage 3,000 miles ago? In any case...this is another fuel system repair 3,000 miles after another significant fuel system repair and it seems like their recent repair should cover this latest mess. I've also been paying for a rental since Friday, after dropping the car off at the dealer. Not very happy.
VW is going to handle a "good faith repair" but I have not gotten a loaner and I am still in a rental that I've been paying for (thus far).

Does anyone know if the timing belt is also done when the hpfp is replaced, or are there any more details about what exactly should be done as part of the process after the hpfp has failed?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've never heard of the timing belt being replaced with the HPFP.

ISureWill

TDI
2010 VW Golf
Year: 2010
Build Date: Unknwn, car at dealer now
Make/Model: 2 door Golf TDI
Tranny: Manual
Mileage: 82k (owned since 42k, changed fuel filter every 20k)
Diesel Fuel Source: Exxon
Additives: No - Not used regularly. Used additives maybe 2-3 times
Problem: HPFP failed per dealer diagnosis
Dealer: Burlington VW in Burlington, NJ
Status: Currently at dealer for repair. VW is covering 100%

Symptoms: High pitched whine Sunday morning. Went away when throttle released in gear. Drove roughly 1 hour (maybe 30 miles city/hwy). Pulled away from a stop light and as soon as I hit boost the car fell on it's face. CEL light came on and glow plug light flashed. Car would still turn on after turning off. Towed to dealer to prevent further damage.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
As a constant repetition, for those with new failures, please remember to file your claim with NHTSA.

dmichael

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Year: 2010
Build Date: Unknown, traded in / no longer own
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Trans: DSG
Mileage: 82k (original owner, serviced exclusively by dealer every 10k)
Diesel Fuel Source: Usually Mobil, but Gulf preceded failure
Additives: None
Problem: HPFP failed per dealer diagnosis
Dealer: Colonial VW in Westboro, MA
Status: Fuel tested, no fault of owner found, VW covered repairs 100% including loaner car for 2.5 weeks

Symptoms: Filled Fuel tank at Gulf. Drove roughly 5 minutes on highway, then CEL light came on and glow plug light flashed, lost power but could still maintain 50 mph or so. First time the car came to a stop was in my driveway where the car stalled and would never again start. Towed to dealer the next day.

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI

Fuel system replaced by VWoA. Still waiting to see if VWoA will also reimburse for the rental car. Got the car back on Friday, the whining noise was still coming from the coolant tank corner of the engine. Turns out that the fuel lines to the aux fuel pump were backward. Dealer corrected the fuel line routing and the noise is gone.

mrd232

TDI
2013 Golf Coupe
MK6 Golf HPFP failure

Year: 2013
Build Date: Unknown
Make/Model: 2 door Golf TDI
Transmission: Manual
Mileage: 46,500 (purchased at 36K, all service records present)
Last service: 40K tune-up @ Young Volkswagen, Nazareth, PA
Diesel Fuel Source: Sunoco. Had filled up about 50 miles prior to the failure.
Additives: 4 oz OptiLube XPD every 3-4 tanks
Problem: HPFP failed per dealer diagnosis, metal shavings through fuel system.
Dealer: Faulkner VW of Mechanicsburg, PA
Status: Complete replacement of fuel system, and flush. One week turn-around from failure to pick-up. Fully warrantied by VW less $50 deductible.

Other note: Had the failure while going 72mph on the PA turnpike. No indication of issue, just decelerated and I was lucky to find an emergency pull-off as this section of turnpike had barriers along the lanes.

This is my 3rd TDI and the first that's had this issue.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
mrd232,
Is this your first common rail TDI? With regards to the OptiLube usage, I assume the previous owner was not using additives? My thought is if you are going to use an additive it is all or nothing, either dose every tank or don't.

I would report your failure to the NHTSA as well. Good to see VW covering this.

Best of luck with your new pump, I would dose every tank!

mrd232

TDI
2013 Golf Coupe
mrd232,
Is this your first common rail TDI? With regards to the OptiLube usage, I assume the previous owner was not using additives? My thought is if you are going to use an additive it is all or nothing, either dose every tank or don't.
I would report your failure to the NHTSA as well. Good to see VW covering this.
Best of luck with your new pump, I would dose every tank!
I am not sure that the previous owner was using Opti-Lube. All I can say of the previous owner is that I know she had an air bag suspension on the golf that caused me a costly frame repair.

Anyway.

I had a 2011 Jetta TDI that I used Opti-lube every other tank and did not have any issues. I also had a 2003 Jetta with no issues outside of normal 100K+ mileage wear and tear.

Will be reporting to the NHTSA, thanks!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
mrd232: AFAIK, there is zero residual effect of any fuel lubricity agent, so IMHO, you're kidding yourself by additizing every other tank.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
mrd232: AFAIK, there is zero residual effect of any fuel lubricity agent, so IMHO, you're kidding yourself by additizing every other tank.
I doubt there is a residual affect either but, if you treat 14 gallons and then refill needing 11 gallons, there are still 3 gallons of treated diesel in the tank that get mixed in with the new tank.

Is that enough lubricity to make a difference? I have no idea.

For me, I treat every single tank.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For me, I rarely fill with that much fuel still in the tank.

Last edited:

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
A fill up for me generally consists of 11 to 12 gallons as I always fill up right before a trip so I don't have to fill up while I am out. My pre-measured treatments are geared towards a 14 gallon treatment.

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
Year:2010
Build Date:6/2010
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 109,863 mi
Diesel Fuel Source: Various. I fill up at various truck stops that look to be in good repair, are busy and are offering one of the better prices that I see along my route. I usually fill up between 1/8 and 1/2 tank, depending on what I see.
Additives: Only when I'm concerned about fuel gelling in winter.
Problem: The glow plug light started flashing. Car seemed fine for a couple of minutes then went into limp mode. I went into the grocery store, came back out, restarted the car, and it seemed fine. After maybe two minutes on the road, it started running rough; the glow plug light returned, and the CEL came on. I made it home, but then the car wouldn't start. I scanned with VCDS. You can see the results of that scan here. I pulled the fuel filter and found metal shavings. I asked about it here then called the dealer.
Dealer: Stone Mountain Volkswagen, Snellville, GA
Status: The dealer repaired the car. Volkswagen of America covered all parts and labor except towing per case BT-1314345. The shavings had recirculated through the whole fuel system. All the parts that were not replaced were said to have been removed and cleaned. Additionally, the paperwork states that my car still had a pending software recall number 2306 and that was completed.
Parts Installed Under Warranty: 03L-130-851-AX, 03L-201-360-G, 03L-130-321, 03L-130-235-S, 03L-130-301-R, 03L-130-301-B, 03L-130-301-C, 03L-130-089, 03L-130-277-A (4), WHT-000-884 (4), 059-130-119 (4), 1K0-130-295-AH, 1K0-130-BJ, 1K0-130-BG, 1K0-127-400-K, 1k)-919-050-AB, 1K0-919-133-D, 5N0-906-129-B, 5N0-130-307-J

Hayter

TDI
2009 Jetta
HPFP and fuel system FAIL

So. Here is exactly what happened when the car died.

Tried starting the car in the morning on Sunday 5-31-2015, and the car wouldn't start at first, Then started fine, and i drove down the street.

As I was coming home from a short drive, the check engine light came on, the Glow Plug light flashed, the car went into limp mode, wouldn't go, and had zero power. When the car came to a stop it would not start again.

The message on the dash screen was "engine malfunction, WORKSHOP!"

Started it up again after about 5 mins. I limped it home, and had it towed to the dealer on 5/1/2015.

Took my car into the shop yesterday. As I took it in, (had it towed) fuel leaked everywhere badly.

I got the call that day, that the HPFP system has failed, and will need to be replaced.

I have not heard from them (currently 6/2/2015) as to exact detail of the repair needing to be done. How horrible this is going to be, or how much it's going to cost me yet.

**Edited 6/2/2015-4:47pm- Dealership called, and stated that the entire fuel system and HPFP needs to be replaced, and should be covered by VW. *crosses fingers* I wont know for sure until tomorrow. He states that the parts are already on order, and the repair is a week long repair. *sigh*..

**edited- 6-3-2015- VOA has agreed to repair the issue and cover the complete cost of the repair.

Year: 2009
Build Date: Unknown at this time.
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage: exactly at 80000 miles.
Diesel Fuel Source: I use shell or chevron
Problem: the entire fuel system and HPFP needs to be replaced
Dealer: Timmons VW- Long Beach , CA. Service guy named Mike.
Status: VOA has agreed to repair the issue and cover the complete cost of the repair. The repair will take a week+ to complete.

Last edited:

RolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
2012 Golf TDI HPFP failure

Build Date: Unknown, will provide once I have the car back
Make/Model: VW Golf TDI
Mileage: ~31,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Last filled at Shell, unknown % biodiesel blend
Problem: HPFP failed, contaminated entire fuel system
Dealer: Fletcher Jones VW in Chicago, IL
Status: Dealer confirmed VWoA will cover 100% of parts/labor to replace entire fuel system under drivetrain warranty without any fuss whatsoever. Car brought in on Monday, parts expected to arrive by Friday, repair completion expected by following Friday (12 days from date diagnosed).

MDAccount

TDI
2012 JSW
2012 JSW HPFP failure at 82000 miles

Make/Model: JSW with sunroof
Mileage: 82,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Local independent
Problem: Glow plug flashed and approximately 1/4 mile later the engine sputtered; within 1/2 mi of the first flash the engine died completely. An independent mechanic identified it as a full HPFP failure which was confirmed by a dealer.
Dealer: Independent mechanic -- Letcher Brothers (Pinole, CA), has a specific expertise in VWs; Dealer -- Dorito Brothers, Walnut Creek, CA (with whom I'd previously never worked)
Status: Alerted by independent mechanic, dealer accepted car for service, verified failure and gained VW approval for full repair under good-faith warranty. The car died on Wednesday night; I'll pick up the repaired vehicle Monday night. There's been no hassle about any of it at any point, but service tech did tell me "VW has it's ducks in a row now and is about to start refusing some of these claims."

newdoc2002

TDI
2009 Jetta
Car well maintained and most service prior to 100,000 done at dealer. After 100,000 I changed the oil myself and did the DSG service as well. Local auto-shop performed rest of maint on time. Timing belt service was done at dealer.

Driving back from Dallas to Waco and while getting into Waco, ENGINE FAULT sign comes on and glow plug light flashes. Car is running great, no limp and no loss of power. I slow down my speed and stop at Auto Zone for code read. No codes per the scanner but now the car only starts and dies immediately after. No luck after waiting about 30 min and doing the battery disconnect trip. $65 later towed to trusted local shop and two days later, told immobilizer code, fuel pump code (I'll try to get specific codes) and metal in the fuel system.

Build Date: not known
Mileage: 181,000. Most miles are highway.
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, mostly HEB, large Texas chain of grocery stores
Additives: BG diesel cleaner every oil change
Problem: HPFP and fuel system diagnosed at Local shop (no dealer in Waco, TX)
Dealer: Hewlett VW- Round Rock, TX but car at local Waco, TX dealer with certified VW technician
Status: VOA customer service was very nice but told me I was SOL because I did not have any problems of the fuel system documented prior to the 120K mark. I expected that but it was only a 10 minute phone call.

Blue book is pretty low and I was about 2 weeks from selling this car so while it sucks there is hunk of junk that isn't worth fixing, I'm glad I didn't sell (which I would have done privately) to some poor individual who would have had a fuel pump explode on them.

The car is in pretty good shape otherwise. Going to see if I can donate to local charity. Not sure how much time or space I have to part out. 181K is not too bad for a car that cost me $25,000 to begin.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The car is in pretty good shape otherwise. Going to see if I can donate to local charity. Not sure how much time or space I have to part out. 181K is not too bad for a car that cost me $25,000 to begin.
See a vendor on here about fixing it. If you want to donate it, put it up here, I am sure someone who can wrench could use it.

You must be made of money, 181K and $25K-did you pay cash or finance? is a joke. That car and its fuel system should easily go double that.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Car well maintained and most service prior to 100,000 done at dealer. After 100,000 I changed the oil myself and did the DSG service as well. Local auto-shop performed rest of maint on time. Timing belt service was done at dealer.
Driving back from Dallas to Waco and while getting into Waco, ENGINE FAULT sign comes on and glow plug light flashes. Car is running great, no limp and no loss of power. I slow down my speed and stop at Auto Zone for code read. No codes per the scanner but now the car only starts and dies immediately after. No luck after waiting about 30 min and doing the battery disconnect trip. $65 later towed to trusted local shop and two days later, told immobilizer code, fuel pump code (I'll try to get specific codes) and metal in the fuel system.
Build Date: not known
Mileage: 181,000. Most miles are highway.
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, mostly HEB, large Texas chain of grocery stores
Additives: BG diesel cleaner every oil change
Problem: HPFP and fuel system diagnosed at Local shop (no dealer in Waco, TX)
Dealer: Hewlett VW- Round Rock, TX but car at local Waco, TX dealer with certified VW technician
Status: VOA customer service was very nice but told me I was SOL because I did not have any problems of the fuel system documented prior to the 120K mark. I expected that but it was only a 10 minute phone call.
Blue book is pretty low and I was about 2 weeks from selling this car so while it sucks there is hunk of junk that isn't worth fixing, I'm glad I didn't sell (which I would have done privately) to some poor individual who would have had a fuel pump explode on them.
I'd likely be interested in the car. I'd fix it myself and let the wife drive it.

newdoc2002

TDI
2009 Jetta
See a vendor on here about fixing it. If you want to donate it, put it up here, I am sure someone who can wrench could use it.

You must be made of money, 181K and $25K-did you pay cash or finance? is a joke. That car and its fuel system should easily go double that.
Not made of money but can't mess with a car that blue books at 4K with 4k in repairs that I have no time or space to do myself. It looks like there are some enterprising individuals here that could do this for much cheaper.