***The Driving Game*** - picture scavenger hunt v2

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
I haven't been here for that long either, and there have been a good number of area specific challenges.
Sometimes even if the pic/challenge is close enough and I know I'll have no chance in h*ll of getting it I'd prefer to move on. Other than hijacking, what's to enjoy about waiting 72 hours?

Maybe it's me, but it's fun when you don't check for 2 hours and 3 challenges have gone by, I love the fast pace we get some days.

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
I agree with arne on this, we should attempt to complete the challenge as intended. If no one can complete as intended in a day or two, then we shall attempt to be creative and be more flexible with what we accept as a win.
I thank Shrifty has the right idea or maybe a new rule here. When I'm thanking of a challenge to post here I try to thank of a challenge that everyone can have chance of doing. I like to keep them easy and fun. Speaking of fun where is Seatman. Come out come where ever you are.:D

adam4584

TDI
'04 B5.5 Passat, '09 Jetta tdi
not at all related to the current challenge but i saw this at the local car show.

Current Challenge (#777) Your TDI at a public garden with a picnic basket. Bonus points if someone is actually having a picnic.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Current Challenge (#777) Your TDI at a public garden with a picnic basket. Bonus points if someone is actually having a picnic. Double bonus if it is you who is having the picnic.

Its a beautiful day out there. I'm going outside to do some work in my garden and I want to see a winner when I come back in!:)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Okay, 436 fun-filled soggy miles later and I am back. :)

Awesome to see the responses. Here I go.

I'm not a big fan of formal rules (except maybe rule #6), but I think we should try to live up to the intent of the challenge unless things are really dragging.
I agree with arne on this, we should attempt to complete the challenge as intended. If no one can complete as intended in a day or two, then we shall attempt to be creative and be more flexible with what we accept as a win.
I can appreciate this. So at what point, would you say I could put up my silly picture then? I didn't to be beaten to what might be too obvious of a joke, see? We have no definition for when the gag pic is okay. (also whitedog could have added any of the words "actual, proper, or in use" to his challenge to discourage any serious applicant of a "creative" submission....;))

It was a slightly obscure challenge It would a tough one for most people to complete. Dozenspeed was thinking out side the box on a tough challenge which is a cool part ofthe game.
Definately a popular and special aspect of our game here.

I enjoy the 'creative' solutions. I'm a very literal person, so I rarely think of some of the other options and they are usually more entertainining than the original picture may have been.

It is also part of the fun of the game to request a picture in a way that leaves little for creative thinking (if) that is the ultimate goal.

This picture in particular has me torn. The OP showed an example, so perhaps that leads one to force a literal interpretation. However, I'm not sure the average person could have located a real one in the wild.
This is a great post. :)

They are all over the place in areas of the world with alot of bedrock at the surface. I look at it the same as a Tim Hortons or Cracker Barrel. Not everyone can get every challenge, so you just get the ones you can.

Then as Shrifty said (and I have said in the past)
Fair and true. There was much chatter about how universal the challenges should/have to be. It has been deemed impossible, impractical and probably dull after this many hundred challenges. You are responsible now for my knowledge of the existance of rock jacks! I figure I've seen one, but without knowing what it was....BUT they are not prevelent around here, so I tried to con a win with a joke. For the record, I'm not complaining about the geographical limitation one bit. If we had 6-7 times the playership we do now, a challenge like "with the Empire State Building" or "St Louis Arch" could be appropriate.

I stumbled onto this thread (the first part) and thought that it would be fun to participate, so I jumped in and I was right...it is fun and it should stay that way!

The rules are the rules and it seems that most folks who play here are okay with them. Too much competitiveness and too many rules will screw this game so let's just have fun.
This also another very popular stance here, no question, and I steadfastly agree. Fun is the universal goal, and I would say the rules have stayed simple, stable and frequently broken! This "competition" isn't serious, and should only be taken seriously in a jovial way. I generally think our structure balance is just right, just trying to stir some debate on some sharpening.

I haven't been here for that long either,
You're not exactly a rookie, there, Mr 40-something winner...sheesh...:rolleyes:

................ and there have been a good number of area specific challenges.
Sometimes even if the pic/challenge is close enough and I know I'll have no chance in h*ll of getting it I'd prefer to move on. Other than hijacking, what's to enjoy about waiting 72 hours?

Maybe it's me, but it's fun when you don't check for 2 hours and 3 challenges have gone by, I love the fast pace we get some days.
Yes, that IS YOU. Others as well. But some don't, and find it frustrating. I have felt BOTH ways at different times. This is why I desire to hash out some refinement to improve broad appeal, happiness and thus...the fun.

I thank Shrifty has the right idea or maybe a new rule here. When I'm thanking of a challenge to post here I try to thank of a challenge that everyone can have chance of doing. I like to keep them easy and fun. Speaking of fun where is Seatman. Come out come where ever you are.
ELM, you definately bring a positive and flavorful asset to the thread and always pleasent. It is noble to think of demographically-fair challenges, which was more important in the early days and still wholesome now. To help find the balance of NOT disapointing the challenge proposer, and NOT rejecting too many submitters, I'm creating a little soap opera here to spark some discussion about any options for enhancement.

I'm new to the game and I'm enjoying it, but if you want to take your ball and start a new game with your rules, do it. If I can compete in your new game, I will!:)
PLEASE everyone understand this is no mutiny, protest, upheaval or desparaging of this game thread whatsoever. That is just a seedling thought I floated. It would be a mere alternate version or style as a seperate addition in it's own world and not in competition with this thread. Hopefully, the styles wouldn't even be very comparable. I'm wondering if such a thing would offer additional or different entertainment for some and broaden the range of appeal. A consumer choice. I like both my Honda and my V-Dub for their very different reasons.

THIS thread will move fast or slow, and you never know which will happen. The banter is civil, standards are easy-going and those who play inject their uniqueness. These are all wonderful traits and have made this sucessful, I wouldn't want to ruin that. There are many ways to find enjoyment in this thread...heck I'm enjoying having a big silly debate about it and it's rules! :rolleyes: It's how I choose to waste some of my time.

As far as rule stringency, what I'm trying to work out by feeling for pulse is whether we should attempt to do any tuning up to this thread. Do we want to iterate a standard about creative pics, or declare a power of acceptance/veto to those who make the challenge? Should we lessen the 72-hour rule? How can we serve the impatience of some and reduce the frustration of others? Is that even possible? Is it true NewLyme likes to chase chickens through meadows with crazy string while wearing a kilt? I'm just asking questions!

I don't what my issue is, I'm just me...no one has directly told me to bugger off yet so.......

I'm just a fan, player, goofball challenge record keeper. Some of my personality might be better served elsewhere, I'm not sure, maybe I can compartmentalize?

Whew! I hope we can dialogue some more on this, and no one is at yelling at their computer. :eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
DZ

It wasn't taken as a "mutiny, protest, etc." so don't worry! We have the American League and the National League and the rules differ.

I had just returned to my computer when I saw whitedog's comment about hijacking you, noticed that it had been nearly 6 hours, so I just went for it. Sorry.

Run your ideas for a "tune up", as you called it, by the gang, and we can continue this discussion. Until then, game on!!

Paul

Current Challenge (#777) Your TDI at a public garden with a picnic basket. Bonus points if someone is actually having a picnic. Double bonus if it is you who is having the picnic.

...PLEASE everyone understand this is no mutiny, protest, upheaval or desparaging of this game thread whatsoever. That is just a seedling thought I floated. It would be a mere alternate version or style as a seperate addition in it's own world and not in competition with this thread. Hopefully, the styles wouldn't even be very comparable. I'm wondering if such a thing would offer additional or different entertainment for some and broaden the range of appeal. A consumer choice. I like both my Honda and my V-Dub for their very different reasons.

THIS thread will move fast or slow, and you never know which will happen. The banter is civil, standards are easy-going and those who play inject their uniqueness. These are all wonderful traits and have made this sucessful, I wouldn't want to ruin that. There are many ways to find enjoyment in this thread...heck I'm enjoying having a big silly debate about it and it's rules! :rolleyes: It's how I choose to waste some of my time.

As far as rule stringency, what I'm trying to work out by feeling for pulse is whether we should attempt to do any tuning up to this thread. Do we want to iterate a standard about creative pics, or declare a power of acceptance/veto to those who make the challenge? Should we lessen the 72-hour rule? How can we serve the impatience of some and reduce the frustration of others? Is that even possible? Is it true NewLyme likes to chase chickens through meadows with crazy string while wearing a kilt? I'm just asking questions!

I don't what my issue is, I'm just me...no one has directly told me to bugger off yet so.......

I'm just a fan, player, goofball challenge record keeper. Some of my personality might be better served elsewhere, I'm not sure, maybe I can compartmentalize?

Whew! I hope we can dialogue some more on this, and no one is at yelling at their computer. :eek:

WEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA
Whereas I haven't been an active participant lately, I'm still going to give my thoughts.

I love the way we have all at times come to creative conclusion to a challenge. eg. Challenge # 442:

I do agree though, there should be time given to complete the challenge as stated. How about after 12 hrs from the time posted, if no can accomplish it, then it's a free for all. Get as creative as you wish.

Also, it's impossible to please and/or accommodate everyone with every single challenge. Look at all of the region specific challenges. Hell, even North America specific for that matter. (Poor Seatman). If you can't get in on one, oh well, maybe next time.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
DZ

It wasn't taken as a "mutiny, protest, etc." so don't worry! We have the American League and the National League and the rules differ.

I had just returned to my computer when I saw whitedog's comment about hijacking you, noticed that it had been nearly 6 hours, so I just went for it. Sorry.

Run your ideas for a "tune up", as you called it, by the gang, and we can continue this discussion. Until then, game on!!

Paul

Okay good, I was concerned that might be the unintended conclusion.

DON'T be sorry for the hijack! IF I have ANY complaint, it was that whitedog didn't stick to his guns after, reasonably mind you, reject my picture. If he'da done this firmly OR rolled his eyes and shortly granted the win, there would have been no hijack situation.

I'm not summitting ANY prpopsal for rule tweaks myself right now, just kicking the hornet's nest over to see if a surge of folks want to address the topic. :)

Whereas I haven't been an active participant lately, I'm still going to give my thoughts.

I love the way we have all at times come to creative conclusion to a challenge. eg. Challenge # 442:

I do agree though, there should be time given to complete the challenge as stated. How about after 12 hrs from the time posted, if no can accomplish it, then it's a free for all. Get as creative as you wish.

Also, it's impossible to please and/or accommodate everyone with every single challenge. Look at all of the region specific challenges. Hell, even North America specific for that matter. (Poor Seatman). If you can't get in on one, oh well, maybe next time.
Thanks WEB....for throwing the 12 hour number out. I would appreciate a standard, accepted policy of some kind. I would vote for 24 hour wait for a creative solution. I'm not saying we HAVE to ANY changes, if the majority is content. :)

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Thanks WEB....for throwing the 12 hour number out. I would appreciate a standard, accepted policy of some kind. I would vote for 24 hour wait for a creative solution. I'm not saying we HAVE to ANY changes, if the majority is content. :)

I'd agree with the 24 hour time frame, this would give more people enough time to attempt the actual challenge, then 2 days left for creativity.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Are you on vacation again NewLyme?;)
Sort of. ;)

Hey shrifty good thing our Moms are good sports! Mom set it up I took the pic. :)
I didn't think I would be winning so soon with my new hip!
So I'm leaving it up to you gals and guys for awhile! :)

Next Challenge (#778): Your TDI with a, (You are under), Video Surveillance Sign.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I keep seeing no parking for foreign vehicles like Dozenspeed's a while ago and this today

So I'd like to see one that says no hybrid, no Ford, no Vans, etc?

Or even a personalized one like VDub parking only.
Does that make sense, I know I worded it weird.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Got it.

Next Challenge #779: Your TDI with a sign discriminating against a group of cars other than foreign

Well I keep seeing no parking for foreign vehicles like Dozenspeed's a while ago and this today

So I'd like to see one that says no hybrid, no Ford, no Vans, etc?

Or even a personalized one like VDub parking only.
Does that make sense, I know I worded it weird.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Next Challenge #780: Your TDI next to a used Fiat 500 for sale(not at a Fiat dealership)

I saw one for sale at that dealership.

Last edited:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Sort of. ;)

Hey shrifty good thing our Moms are good sports! Mom set it up I took the pic. :)
I didn't think I would be winning so soon with my new hip!
So I'm leaving it up to you gals and guys for awhile! :)

Next Challenge (#778): Your TDI with a, (You are under), Video Surveillance Sign.
:D Gotta love the family involvement for these pics... My TDI is out for the week, broken passenger front suspension. Spring is broken, shock is finished, mounts are messed up, etc.... Hoping to get a new fender on Friday and replaced this weekend.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
What did you run over to wreck your front end?

:D Gotta love the family involvement for these pics... My TDI is out for the week, broken passenger front suspension. Spring is broken, shock is finished, mounts are messed up, etc.... Hoping to get a new fender on Friday and replaced this weekend.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What did you run over to wreck your front end?
Well, my friend's wife backed into my fender. Not sure about the suspension, guessing it may have been weakened when I was hit by the truck last year? Or some horrible potholes.... Of course, it could have been my attempts at a few challenges in the past :rolleyes: Finding a fire tower, Challenge #519: doing donuts in the snow, and your skid plate skidding come to mind :eek:

Funny thing, the garage I have my work done had to ask what kind of car I had. All they saw was the TDI on the back as I removed the "Jetta" some time ago, I guess they didn't recognize the model. They do nice work, no concern there. Just thought it was odd they had to ask.
Next Challenge #780: Your TDI next to a used Fiat 500 for sale(not at a Fiat dealership)

Last edited:

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
No vehicles foreign to Canada? I don't see a lot of Canadian-made vehicles driving around.

Challenge #780: Your TDI next to a used Fiat 500 for sale(not at a Fiat dealership)

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
I think in that case it meant anything but Chrysler.
Off the top of my head, GM builds the Camaro in Oshawa, Chrysler has the Challenger/Charger in Brampton, Honda builds the Civic close to Windsor and Ford I think builds the Flex in Oakville, used to be the Windstar factory a few years ago.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
All of which are "foreign" vehicles. :p

Challenge #780: Your TDI next to a used Fiat 500 for sale(not at a Fiat dealership)