Scanners/gauge monitors for 2012 tdi?

Tdi1990

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi 6sp Manual
Alright so I've been searching around for a gauge monitor for my 2012 Jetta and it seems no one has one out for it yet I was hoping maybe someone on here would be able to help me out. Would scan gauge or an ultra gauge work? I'm open to any suggestion. I'm just looking for something smaller than a laptop that will give me live read outs. Like coolant temp, egt's things of that nature.

biglipps66

TDI
2012 6spd premium
One thread down.. my thread.. ultragauge works..
I have mine completely setup just having an issue making it read injector cut off, which really isnt even a problem ha

Tdi1990

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi 6sp Manual
Well thank you. So it will read almost everything for you except your issue?

biglipps66

TDI
2012 6spd premium
Well thank you. So it will read almost everything for you except your issue?
I just havent figured it all the way out yet :p
Doesnt read boost, i have a gauge though and it was a waste really.
If you PM me your phone number Ill snap and send you some cell pics today when I leave work of how I have it mounted and hot it looks when turned on.

sledstorm1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Tdi 4dr 6mt
I use the torque app for the android operating system. This works great on my 2011 Golf Tdi.
And it does everything you ask. The app is cost effective, the obd2 to Bluetooth adapter is like $100.
Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Z-MAN1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta "diesel edition"
100.00 for an obd2 adapter to send bluetooth signal to your android phone using torque? I looked on ebay and found them flr around 20-30 bucks unless its not the same thing or is vehicle specific?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Not to mention for that price you can get an Ultragauge shipped to your door and still have enough cash left over to buy yourself lunch... (oh, and it comes with a windshield mount and you don't have to pull out your phone every time you get in your car)

Just installed the ultragauge myself, and it seems to be working fine... I'll have to run a few tanks of fuel through to get the MPG parameters correct, and it does lack some things I'd like to see that I know it's capable of doing (boost being one, fuel pressure and EGT parameters being two others). Wonder if I can get in touch with the company and give them some info for future software versions...

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
That's the third time in three threads (today) that I've seen you post that link... Seriously, chill.

an60an

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI 5 speed 2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
100.00 for an obd2 adapter to send bluetooth signal to your android phone using torque? I looked on ebay and found them flr around 20-30 bucks unless its not the same thing or is vehicle specific?
The adapter is less than $15.00 bucks and the app is $5.00. It does EVERYTHING that all the other in real time. I use my Samsung Galaxy S2.
If you just search for Android apps
Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car), the adapter on eBay is under: Bluetooth Wireless OBD2 Scanner Tool.

If you ask around you will find someone using it, try before you buy :D
For me is working like a dream and saving me over $140.00 vs Scanqauge II

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not to mention for that price you can get an Ultragauge shipped to your door and still have enough cash left over to buy yourself lunch... (oh, and it comes with a windshield mount and you don't have to pull out your phone every time you get in your car)

Just installed the ultragauge myself, and it seems to be working fine... I'll have to run a few tanks of fuel through to get the MPG parameters correct, and it does lack some things I'd like to see that I know it's capable of doing (boost being one, fuel pressure and EGT parameters being two others). Wonder if I can get in touch with the company and give them some info for future software versions...
The sale price of $80 is pretty darn nice seeing i don't have an adriod phone.

Let us know if you can get Boost and EGT, IAT to work as those would be the only real things I'd care about. An EGT temp alarm set at 1100F would be a nice "regen alarm".

Z-MAN1

TDI
2006.5 Jetta "diesel edition"
The adapter is less than $15.00 bucks and the app is $5.00. It does EVERYTHING that all the other in real time. I use my Samsung Galaxy S2.
Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car), the adapter on eBay is under: Bluetooth Wireless OBD2 Scanner Tool.

Thanks just want to make sure it will work with my phone

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/gaugelookup.php

Punching in my 2010 sedan, doesn’t look like it’ll do boost, EGT or IAT, so it’ll spit out pretty much the same thing my MFD will do, bummer. If Rev and Torqu can spit out these parameters, there shouldn’t really be a problem, software should be able to be updated/tweaked to do the calculations. How small the VW TDI market is I don’t see them modifying it just for us.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
After poking a bit more with the Ultragauge today, I've determined the MAF sensor readings for MPG are indeed based on a gas engine, and will not ever work properly with the TDI. I've actually forced MAP sensor readings so I don't have to look through the MPG settings anymore in the display list.

That being said, I did also find out tonight that the Ultragauge does have a gauge setting for the catalytic converter... I also managed to hit a DPF regen cycle on the way home from Subway based on the temps the CC was showing (1100*F peak in 18*F ambient temps). I confirmed this when I got home by shutting the car off before the cycle completed to the lovely sound and smell of a regen being cooled.

While it may not be EGT at the manifold, it will still give an accurate display of an active regen in progress.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
can you pull IAT? or coolant temps?

what's the list you can read with your ultragauge?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
can you pull IAT? or coolant temps?

what's the list you can read with your ultragauge?
I bought the Ultragauge specifically for coolant temp, and it does display it. As for IAT, I haven't looked specifically for it but I don't recall seeing it. There is ambient temp, but I don't know where it pulls from.

I'll give you a full list of gauges after I get home from work today.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks, ambiant temp is probably the same sensor you see in the MFD and that should be located in the lower grill (the mk6 still have those don't they?)

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I thought it might be the same one but the reading from the ultragauge shows different than the ambient on the MFD.

Sorry I didn't get the rest of the info posted up last night... Ended up going to dinner with the girlfriend and completely forgot about it. I'll see what I can do to to tonight.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Alright, sorry for the delay... Here's the list of what the Ultragauge can display (when forcing MAP sensor to remove false MPG info):
  • Engine Load (%)
  • Coolant Temp (*C and *F)
  • Engine RPM
  • Speed (KPH and MPH)
  • Mass Airflow 1 (g/s)
  • Kilometers / Miles with CEL on
  • Bank 1 Wideband O2 Sensor 1 Lambda
  • Warm ups since Trouble Code cleared
  • Kilometers / Miles since Trouble Code cleared
  • Barometric Pressure (inHg and kPa)
  • Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temp (*C and *F)
  • Battery Voltage
  • Ambient Air Temp (*C and *F)
  • Accelerator Pedal Position 1 (%)
  • Accelerator Pedal Position 2 (%)
  • Command Throttle Position (%)
  • Brake Horsepower / Kilowatts 1
  • Torque ft.lbs / N.m 1
  • Average KPH / MPH - General
  • Run Time - General
  • Kilometers / Miles - General
  • Trip Average KPH / MPH
  • Trip Run Time
  • Trip Kilometers / Miles
  • Short Trip Average KPH / MPH
  • Short Trip Run Time
  • Short Trip Kilometers / Miles
  • Oil Kilometers / Miles
  • Service Kilometers / Miles
  • Ultragauge Temp (*C and *F)

Here's also a couple of shots while driving at operating temps, and during regen cycle...

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Alright, sorry for the delay... Here's the list of what the Ultragauge can display (when forcing MAP sensor to remove false MPG info):
Here's also a couple of shots while driving at operating temps, and during regen cycle...

What does "when forcing MAP sensor to remove false MPG info" mean? I have an ultragauge as well, and i'm wondering if there is something I can do to get better MPG data?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
The Ultragauge can be forced into MAP mode instead of MAF (auto) mode, but the Ultragauge can't read the MAP on the CR apparently, so it just removes the fuel economy options from the list completely.

I would rather just use the MPG numbers from the car, so I removed the option for them in the Ultragauge to remove pages to go through.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
2012 TDI & ScanGauge II ?

Dear all, I would like to monitor intake air temperature, boost pressure and exhaust gas temperature using a ScanGauge II on my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Currently my ScanGauge II runs version 3.00 firmware, and does NOT display intake air temperature (IAT), fuel pressure (FPR), throttle position (TPS), nor manifold pressure (MAP). It does display load (LOD) and water temperature.

Info I found:
Forum posts seem to indicate that it is highly model year dependent which variables can be accessed with the ScanGauge II; therefore I inquired directly with Linear Logic.
According to their email, upgrading to firmware version 4.06, which includes the XGauge feature, is possible, but would NOT add currently non-reported sensors: "If nothing is reported for MAP, TPS or FPR, this means that the vehicle does not report these sensors. Upgrading the unit will not change what information your vehicle reports."
The same email also states that transmission temperature or EGT are currently not available for my vehicle. On the other hand, according to this forum, at least one of the exhaust temperatures should be functional for my vehicle. This makes me think that there might be more uptodate information available here.

OBDII/CANbus specifics:
(Edited): According to post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4009597&postcount=126 the ECU at address 07E0 (which then replies as address 07E8) has more information available than the (default) one at 07E1. The CANbus command list on the Xgauge page http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/ from Linear Logic mentions only direct addressing of ECU 07E0 and broadcasting to 07DF. (More on addressing in this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#CAN_.2811-bit.29_Bus_format)

My question:
Has anybody tried to directly address 07E0 in their OBDII requests, and/or filtered specifically on the reply pattern 07E8?
In their XGaugeCoding.pdf note, Linear Logic refer to the responding ECU as "xx"" and do not explicitly filter on it, but it should be possible, shouldn't it? I'd like to know before I spend $25 on upgrading my ScanGauge.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI (JSW) OBD variables

Here is what my 2012 TDI replies when queried regarding OBDII variables. I'm using the ScanGauge II, still with firmware version 3.00, to send commands '0100', '0120' etc. .

code sent reply
100 410098192013
120 41209801A011
140 4140C4D2000D
160 4160EA89A343
180 418080000000
1A0 410400
1C0 410400

(I think the last two lines mean that the '01A0' and '01C0' query was not answered, and the first reply found was for a '0104' command on the OBD bus.)

Translating the third to the sixth byte of the hex answers to binary:
bits 1-16 bits 17-32
1001100000011001 0010000000010011
1001100000000001 1010000000010001
1100010011010010 0000000000001101
1110101010001001 1010001101000011
1000000000000000 0000000000000000

According to the OBD II wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#CAN_.2811-bit.29_Bus_format), this means my 2012 TDI makes the following PID variables available:
01 Monitor status since DTCs cleared
04 Calculated engine load value
05 Engine coolant temperature
0C Engine RPM
0D Vehicle speed
10 MAF air flow rate
13 Oxygen sensors present
1C OBD standards this vehicle conforms to
1F Run time since engine start
21 Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on
24 O2S1_WR_lambda(1): Equivalence Ratio Voltage
25 O2S2_WR_lambda(1): Equivalence Ratio Voltage
30 # of warm-ups since codes cleared
31 Distance traveled since codes cleared
33 Barometric pressure
3C Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1 [verified: command '013C' yields an answer.]
41 Monitor status this drive cycle
42 Control module voltage
46 Ambient air temperature
49 Accelerator pedal position D
4A Accelerator pedal position E
4C Commanded throttle actuator
4F Maximum value for equivalence ratio, oxygen sensor voltage, oxygen sensor current, and intake manifold absolute pressure
5D Fuel injection timing
5E Engine fuel rate
61 Driver's demand engine - percent torque
62 Actual engine - percent torque
63 Engine reference torque
65 Auxiliary input / output supported
67 Engine coolant temperature
69 Commanded EGR and EGR Error
6D Fuel pressure control system
70 Boost pressure control [checked: no reply]
71 Variable Geometry turbo (VGT) control [checked: no reply]
73 Exhaust pressure
77 Charge air cooler temperature (CACT)
78 Exhaust Gas temperature (EGT) Bank 1
7A Diesel particulate filter (DPF)
7F Engine run time
81 Engine run time for Auxiliary Emissions Control Device(AECD)

Absent are for example '0B' intake manifold absolute pressure, '0F' intake air temperature and '5C' engine oil temperature :-(

I verified that command '013C' always gives a '413C' response, with the next two bytes (so far) in the 0Bxx to 0Exx range, corresponding to 240ºC to 340ºC temperature.
'010B' and '010F' do not get an answer, instead the ScanGauge II apparently displays whatever it receives next, quite often a '4104' or '4105' (engine load or coolant temperature, which I am monitoring).

Preceding the OBD PID address with the ECU address (= using the XGauge format) does not work: sending '07DF013C' or '07E0013C' or '07E1013C' does not give an answer with my version 3.00 ScanGauge II.

Last edited:

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
Can you verify that this works on 2012+ TDI to the degree it works on your model year?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Some of the PIDs that are reported as supported in the bitmaps do not yield an answer when queried with the ScanGauge II v3.0.
I checked from PID 50 onward, the sample values given are for idle/2000 rpm, respectively:
5D Fuel injection timing 65A6 - 65A0 / 67A6
5E Engine fuel rate 000F / 002B / 0035(@2500rpm)
61 Driver's demand engine - percent torque 073 / 084
62 Actual engine - percent torque 82
63 Engine reference torque 0140 / 0140
65 Auxiliary input / output supported 0800
67 Engine coolant temperature 035838 / 035A38 / 035B38 (@52ºC)
69 Commanded EGR and EGR Error -
6D Fuel pressure control system -
70 Boost pressure control -
71 Variable Geometry turbo (VGT) control -
73 Exhaust pressure 0100400000 / 0101680000
77 Charge air cooler temperature (CACT) 0134000000 / 0135000000
78 Exhaust Gas temperature (EGT) Bank 1 -
7A Diesel particulate filter (DPF) -
7F Engine run time -
81 Engine run time for Auxiliary Emissions Control Device(AECD) -
I also checked that 50, 64, 66, 68, 6A - 6F, 72, 74 - 76, 78 - 7F do not give answers.

EDIT 2013-1-31: 78 is a multi-packet variable, according to 'hardtimes' (on this forum), and does contain four two-byte fields for exhaust temperatures.
I confirmed that it works when used in a ScangaugeII 'Xgauge' on my car. The same might be true for some of the other PIDs that are reported as working in the bit map but do not yield an answer when used with the ScanGaugeII 'cmnd' feature.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
For what you want (coolant temp, EGT, etc) this is undoubtedly the best device. It looks OEM and it also includes Boost (in psi), battery voltage, intake air temp, throttle position, rpm, speed, a 0-60 timer, plus the ability to read and reset ODBII fault codes.

http://www.p3cars.com/catalog/mj6/

Unfortunately, the only downside to this device is that it is not cheap. You also missed the group buy a few weeks ago that would have saved you $100.

Have Fun!

Don

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Edge CS plugs into your OBDII port and I have mine reading engine coolant temp, exhaust gas temp and also battery volts. There's several other PID's you can read also if you want. It's kinda pricey at $269 but its got alarms and a few other neat features

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
For what you want (coolant temp, EGT, etc) this is undoubtedly the best device. It looks OEM and it also includes Boost (in psi), battery voltage, intake air temp, throttle position, rpm, speed, a 0-60 timer, plus the ability to read and reset ODBII fault codes.

http://www.p3cars.com/catalog/mj6/

Unfortunately, the only downside to this device is that it is not cheap. You also missed the group buy a few weeks ago that would have saved you $100.

Have Fun!

Don
I had very nearly clicked the buy button with the promo code and free shipping, though after thinking about it I'm hard pressed to spend $300 for what would essentially only be a boost gauge... You can only view one parameter at a time, and my Ultragauge displays everything I need side boost all on one screen.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

ordered my Blue tooth adapter off Amazon (one recommended for use with Torque) for 13$ NO SHIPPING. THE torque software Lite was free, If I likw it I can upgrade to PRO for 4.95 . Seems cheap enough. I would rather have ROss tech software but until it comes out this should fill the gap.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you still have your old phone after upgrading, like I do, this is a good task for it. My new phone is BT to the car and can take calls and serve up music if I want.