***The driving game*** - picture scavenger hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
An inclined plane is a flat supporting surface tilted at an angle, with one end higher than the other, used as an aid for raising or lowering a load.
The Inclined Plane is one six Simple Machines:

Lever
Wheel and axle
Pulley
Inclined plane
Wedge
Screw

Of course, I say that there are only two simple machines:

Lever
inclined plane

The wheel and axle and the Pulley are both levers, just in a different configuration just like the wedge and screw are just inclined planes in a different configuration.

The picture that Shrifty has posted is also called a vertical rail line, but it is, in fact, an inclined plane.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
and now back to your regularly scheduled picture challenge thread.. Did I slow it down enough for you guys to figure out what to do for challenge #300? and what to call it? :D

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Is that the sound of your head hitting as brick wall?

Been there, done that, gave up and went with the flow lol :D
Yeah....

Current Challenge: (#296) Your TDI with an installed roof rack, with what would seem like WAY!! too much stuff or weight on it

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 Speed
Next Challenge(#297): Your TDI next to an excessively protected mailbox. For example a mailbox encased in concrete, bricks or surrounded by steel to keep the mailbox bashers away!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Next Challenge(#297): Your TDI next to an excessively protected mailbox. For example a mailbox encased in concrete, bricks or surrounded by steel to keep the mailbox bashers away!

A what what with a what what? :D

Our mail comes through a thing called a letter box, a slot in the front door with a flap to stop the weather coming in. If I put a pile of crap in front of my door does that count? :p

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
A what what with a what what? :D

Our mail comes through a thing called a letter box, a slot in the front door with a flap to stop the weather coming in. If I put a pile of crap in front of my door does that count? :p
If your front door is your mailbox I would accept it as long as it is excessively protected. Having a Rottweiler or a Doberman sitting in front of your door would be hilarious!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
"Centenary Challenge II"

(It looks like the word "centenary" does not necessarily pertain to years or time, simply a hundred count....)

Trying to hone this in:

Centenary Challenge II 48 hour run period:

Saturday, October 20th, 12:00 AM GMT through Monday, October 22nd, 12:00 AM GMT.

(8 pm Friday 10-19-12 EASTERN, 7 central 6 mountain, 5 Pacific, etc)

Voting period is the immediate 24 hours after the challenge close. No late entries or votes will be accepted.

Now, how can we manage what the challenges are? One thought I had was the top 5 winners could make a proposal each. (That would be Dozenspeed, NewLyme, yakfish, shrifty and Digital Corpus, with ELM as an alternate)

Either I or some independant volunteer could be PMed the challenges in confidence as long as they post them RIGHT at the start.

Let's chew on this before I drone on with complications! :rolleyes:

Maybe getting to be a challenge namer is actually a compromise, meaning their 4 pics would have to shine above someone who could enter 5, I don't know....need input...

Current Challenge: (#298) Your TDI next to a wedge or "flat iron" building

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you suggesting we have five running challenges during the 48 hour period, then have people post multiple pics of those challenges? Then we would all vote for our favorite pics?

And this is going to be a side challenge too, right? During this we will still continue on with the regular numbered challenges?

This is beginning to sound complicated. We can probably simplify this a bit. Or maybe I'm just too tired to understand it all. I'm just finishing another 15 hour day. I have already driven over 1100 miles this week since Monday. I'm glad I have the TDI!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
grrrrr. I was up to go for a challenge but I'd have to scour Google maps to find any buildings like that around here. Most people in SoCal are fairly square ;)

I wanted to do some low light testing with this lens too. Well, time to eat and start forcing myself to get onto GMT +1 time.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Looked better on the camera...:(

Please stand by for challenge #298...
Dozen, from what I see there, your challenge in getting a better photo is not in the camera, but in the software you're using.

Here be something similar to what you shot:

And this was what is was like after I spent a few hours cleaning it up:

Next Challenge: (#298) Your TDI next to a wedge or "flat iron" building

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Um, sort of?

I thought it might be simpler to judge if everyone was going for the same limited number of things...

Yes, this would run concurrent to the normal game.

We could pick a winner from each category and an overall.

Just trying to keep the idea going, I don't need or necessarily want to dictate everything.

Only other thought is folks should cast official votes in bold and in blue text, so they are easier to tally.

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
DC,

First off, your original pic looks better than mine, lights in mine are always blurry, not sparkly...what you see aren't even the DRLs, those would bleach the subject.

Second, a few hours? For rendering time or your active tweaking? I'm afraid of two things: you'll laugh at what software I use, and the cost of the software you use!

I'll pm you later for some advice, but on this one I tweaked sharpness, brightness and contrast to make it look even that good.:rolleyes:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You used either GIMP or Picasa? Both are free. I cannot stand GIMP because unused Photoshop heavily before even knowing about it. Picasa is a fairly solid program and I've had to use it in a production environment.

A few hours to clean the road, noise reduction, sharpening, tonal tweaking (brightness, contrast, local and global), color correction.

The way the lights are come from experience-based knowledge of how a lens will treat light in specific circumstances...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Just being a wiseguy in the wake of all the technicalities. But is there a roof rack in that photo? :p

Game on!

Scott
Yeah, there is a factory job on there. ;)

Will you be competing with us this weekend Scott? Provided we can work out what we are doing? You're the challenge picture thread guru, why don't you set some parameters?

Current Challenge: (#298) Your TDI next to a wedge or "flat iron" building

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Scott,

Wagons have factory roof rails. I am hoping that there is some kind of cross support, or the boxes cover across both rails.

or he played us and the load is actually on another vehicles roof rack behind him.

Either way, he got the spirit of the challenge so I say GAME ON! :D

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
A few hours to clean the road, ...
Might have been easier to just sweep the parking lot first! :D

I wanted to do some low light testing with this lens too. Well, time to eat and start forcing myself to get onto GMT +1 time.
Who's stopping you? ;) GMT+1? Germany?

This is beginning to sound complicated. We can probably simplify this a bit. Or maybe....
From player's perspective:

At the start time, 5 challenges are posted: A through E. You then have 48 hours to aquire and submit your best shot for each one. You can submit an entry for as many or few of the 5 challenges as you please.

Each voter should vote for their favorite example for each challenge, plus a vote for the player who had submited their favorite "collection" overall.

Does that help or did I make things worse? :eek:

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
At the start time, 5 challenges are posted: A through E. You then have 48 hours to aquire and submit your best shot for each one. You can submit an entry for as many or few of the 5 challenges as you please.
Each voter should vote for their favorite example for each challenge, plus a vote for the player who had submited their favorite "collection" overall.
Sounds good. Each Centenary Challenge should have new challenge namers each time though. So it is not always the same few people naming the challenges. Maybe the top three and the bottom two winners, with all five confirming their acceptance of the task.
If there is trouble confirming those five keep moving up or down the list until five are selected and confirmed. I hope this isn't too complicated. Just trying to keep more people engaged. My. 02¢.

Last edited:

WEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA
Might have been easier to just sweep the parking lot first! :D

Who's stopping you? ;) GMT+1? Germany?

Sounds like good times. I'm on board with this option.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
IIRC, at 200 we were saying next one would be 300 challenges in a photo, or just the most recent 100 in a photo...now we seem to be going for something quite different altogether! The next one could be anything! But I like your foresight, NewLyme, it is considerate.

Would it be a good idea to exempt myself from play, take the ideas from 2-6th places and be the start poster?

How about the "cannot answer own challenge" rule to balance things out?

Should the "overall winner" get to make up the next centenary challenge? That could empower a rookie...

Current Challenge: (#298) Your TDI next to a wedge or "flat iron" building (you answer this one, you break the monthly record!)

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
IIRC, at 200 we were saying next one would be 300 challenges in a photo, or just the most recent 100 in a photo...now we seem to be going for something quite different altogether! The next one could be anything! But I like your foresight, NewLyme, it is considerate.

Would it be a good idea to exempt myself from play, take the ideas from 2-6th places and be the start poster?

How about the "cannot answer own challenge" rule to balance things out?

Should the "overall winner" get to make up the next centenary challenge? That could empower a rookie...

Current Challenge: (#298) Your TDI next to a wedge or "flat iron" building (you answer this one, you break the monthly record!)
Sounds good overall, but I don't really see any reason for you not to compete on this. If I were home I could find the building, have to check around on my way back tonight :) I know of one I can get to this evening...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is a wedge less than 45 degrees? 30 degrees? Sorry for being so... um, obtuse, but I would just don't want to see a wedge driven in based on technicalities.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Sounds good overall, but I don't really see any reason for you not to compete on this. ...
Just thinking that it might seem more fair and ethical to everyone, it's yakfish's idea I feel I've run away with and made complicated. We need someone to safeguard the challenges until they are announced, that seems tricky to have someone for that and be a player, so I was volunteering to manage for the fun of others? Also I'm current pariah (for now) -thought if I stepped out it might encourage more folks....and now that I've said that it seems conceited....:eek:

Well I need a nap, so have a little caw-fee and tawk amongst yurselves. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.