Trailer Package for 2012 Passat TDI SEL?

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
My owners manual says 1000 pound limit, 170 pound tongue weight limit, with a 10% derate at 3,000 feet elevation, with another 10% derate for every 1,000 feet of elevation over 3000 feet. By 8,000 feet, you are down to 500 pound weight limit, for the Rockies and Continental Divide seeking folks.
I asked the tow rating question of my dealer on Saturday, and he gave me the 1000lb answer from the OM. And I plan on towing a small boat and trailer @ 600 lbs combined weight with the Curt hitch meantioned without worries of voiding my warranty. My wife will also use the hitch for her bicycle in the future.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Auto Anything has the 112340 for sale today for $146, type in Welcome 15 for 15% off.

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
That discount still works! I typed in welcome15 with no spaces in the promo code.
Thanks you saved me 50 bucks compared to other places.
Free shipping too.
I am going to post this on the other active hitch thread.
Thanks a bunch!

Auto Anything has the 112340 for sale today for $146, type in Welcome 15 for 15% off.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Great article, but it's a Euro B7, not the NMS. This brings up a question worth further investigation: Does the NMS also have "trailer stability control"?
"it works in tandem with the car’s ESP stability control system. When the car’s computerised brain senses the swaying via all the very sensitive wheel speed and yaw sensors, it at first lets the driver try to regain control (normally by accelerating) before interfering.
But if the wag gets more severe than the car is happy with, it will send brake pressure to each of the four wheels individually so that the car can reciprocate forces and bring everything back into line."

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
That discount still works! I typed in welcome15 with no spaces in the promo code.
Thanks you saved me $50.00. Free shipping too.
Still working today. Saved only $28 but still. Just ordered a CURT for my new 2013 TDI Passat. Hitch should arrive just before the car does. Oh happy day.
VW

maniago

TDI
'13 Passat TDI 1/2SE-1/2SEL DSG
I'll be putting a hitch on our 2013 for sure. 1000lb max trailer for miscellaneous, occasional use. What's the big deal? Despite the fact that the book says "for technical reason" blah blah, it devotes 7 pages to doing it. Hmm that ought to tell you something about talking out of two sides of the VW mouth. I will caution tho, that if you have a slush box, better invest in a cooler to go with that hitch. Enemy No1 for an automatic is heat. Trailer=heat. MT? Have at it.

That said, what's with the roof rack? Same "technical reasons". Can't do a roof rack? Really?

Last edited:

Vmwalker

TDI
CURT hitch arrived this morning. All of the supportive parts were taped to the hitch proper. Glad the manufacture did this as the mounting "wings" had pierced each end of the shipping box. There was also a hole that I could put my fist thru in the front of the box. Kudos to the CURT shipping department on their situational awareness.

Niner

CURT hitch arrived this morning. All of the supportive parts were taped to the hitch proper. Glad the manufacture did this as the mounting "wings" had pierced each end of the shipping box. There was also a hole that I could put my fist thru in the front of the box. Kudos to the CURT shipping department on their situational awareness.
Mine arrived in the same manner, which tells me UPS throws these things around.

Vmwalker

TDI
Wouldn't want to cross the UPS person that carried, not wheeled, it to the front porch. Didnt notice the shipping weight before I took the cardboard box to recycle but that hitch is very well made (read heavy). Believe I'll use a floor jack to hoist it into position when I install it. Just waiting on a Passat to put it on. Plan on using it almost daily to transport our 2 bicycles to the local bike trails parking lots using a Thule 917 rack.

maniago

TDI
'13 Passat TDI 1/2SE-1/2SEL DSG
I used to load for UPS in college. If you didn't throw stuff around like a mad-man, you couldn't make your trailer load and you'd back up the conveyor. That was a no-no (backing up the conveyor). "This side up" and "Fragile", forget about it...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Niner, could you take some pictures of the hitch on your car? I'm interested to see how it attaches to the body.

Thanks,

-J

Niner

Niner, could you take some pictures of the hitch on your car? I'm interested to see how it attaches to the body.

Thanks,

-J
See the online instructions for how to install that Curt Hitch model... It clamps around the 2 rear bumper shock columns on both left and rights sides, and you also punch holes in the drain plugs in the spare tire well, and attach bolts there also. Total of 6 bolts securing it to your car. You can cut the lower valance with some pinking shears if you want the frilly custom look where it notches around the plate for the square 1 1/4" hitch part. No need for a die grinder to cut it out. Pruning shears would work also oar a set of Wiss shears. General Contractors like me don't mess around, I broke out the Sawzall for the manly hard core quick and dirty butcher hack cut that saves lots of time. 3 BRAAAAPS and you're done with it.

http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=11234 go to the right and under the price $BIGNUM click on instructions in a PDF file.

Last edited:

Niner

I used to load for UPS in college. If you didn't throw stuff around like a mad-man, you couldn't make your trailer load and you'd back up the conveyor. That was a no-no (backing up the conveyor). "This side up" and "Fragile", forget about it...
I have a great rapport with my UPS guy, when this sucker came, I was out the front door, and he left it up on the truck for me to lift off, after I signed for it. It was a beast! Installing it single handedly took me using some 2x4 blocks and a 4 ft 2x4 on edge for some leverage to wedge it up in place while attaching the nuts and bolts.... good swear fest, but I got it on all by myself... I could have used a spare hand to make it easier.

It would be a boring adventure, the install for the sophisticated likes of the CompuDub duo.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Soon nuff (some of) those who installed the hitch will be looking for actual trailers. And when you do, don't forget about the House-of-Value also known as Harbor Freight.

I've had their 1700Lb rated 4x8, for a couple of years now, that I paid about $300 for. A workhorse.

Now I am looking for a lightweight trailer for a 15' plastic canoe I got. While she transports just fine on the 4x8, HF sells both a genuine boat trailer for $399-20% or you can get a 4x4 for $170 and mod it yourself. She weighs in @ 70Lb (!) and all you'd need is a longer tongue channel/tube. May be loose a leaf or two from the suspension pack, depending the weight.

I actually prefer transporting/storing my canoe upside down - no rain to worry about and she's more solid like that on a trailer bed ... less chance of cracking the hull.

You can mod the same 4x4 in multi-kayak transport or multi-bicycle. Possibilities are endless .

arikinthecity

TDI
2013 SE DSG with sunroof
I have a 2013 TDI Passat. I was wondering if anyone that installed the Curt 11234 hitch on their ride and if it worked ok. Was there any issue with the Adblue tank in the trunk?

Last edited:

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
I installed the Drawtite hitch which uses the same mounting points, no issues with the tank. e-trailer had it onsale with a nice rebate & free shipping. Used the Curt wiring connector, no issues with that either.

dr2152

TDI
2013 Passat SE
I just installed the Curt 11234 today. It was easier than the trailer lights wiring. Hitch took about 1 hour.

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
I went to uhaul and they have a hitch for passat tdi. It was around $300 installed.

Hoffdad

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I want the curt hitch and have it in my cart at amazon but I'm more than a little worried about clearance issues(to the ground). I couldn't stand always scraping. No one in this thread is complaining of that. What do you think?

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
That's an interesting find. I just stopped in at a U-Haul. They use the Curt hitch but quoted a higher price $390 with light kit installed.

AtlantaRene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
It is low and does scrape!

I want the curt hitch and have it in my cart at amazon but I'm more than a little worried about clearance issues(to the ground). I couldn't stand always scraping. No one in this thread is complaining of that. What do you think?
I had mine installed by the dealer JIK there were problems later on. It does sit low and I do have to watch out for it on driveways with a sharp angle. I'll be crawling under it to see if there's a better way to deal with it.

It takes a 1-1/4" receiver and by the time I put an adapter on it, it's lower yet.

My $.02....

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I installed the Drawtite hitch which uses the same mounting points, no issues with the tank. e-trailer had it onsale with a nice rebate & free shipping. Used the Curt wiring connector, no issues with that either.
Same here, Drawtite from etrailer, no problems with the install. Just using it for a bike rack though, haven't trailered anything.

Hoffdad

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
That's an interesting find. I just stopped in at a U-Haul. They use the Curt hitch but quoted a higher price $390 with light kit installed.

AtlantaRene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Save the money and install it yourself. As for ground clearance, I haven't scraped mine yet (3,500 miles later).

CStone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH 5sp.
OK, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but am I right to assume that the Curt 11234 hitch fits a 2012 Passat TDI with no mods other than a little plastic trimming? We are looking at getting THIS and I want to make sure it'll work on her car.

Thanks in advance

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
OK, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but am I right to assume that the Curt 11234 hitch fits a 2012 Passat TDI with no mods other than a little plastic trimming? We are looking at getting THIS and I want to make sure it'll work on her car.

Thanks in advance
That kit does come with the correct trailer lighting controller. As for the hitch itself, I do not know.