Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
speed sensor for cruise control....

in my attempt to get the cruise working I connected the magnetic speed sensor output from the toyota to the VW ecm speed sensor input ...I got a reading but it's erratic up to 15mph higher or lower than my steady state speed....from my research it appears I need to convert the sine wave output of the toyota VSS to a clean square wave for the VW ECM ....I'd like to avoid buying a dakota digital converter and use the factory signal conditioner built into the MKIV VSS (shown above) ....need some help though figuring out where to tap into the circuitry to bypass the factory pickup, substituting the Toy VSS signal instead....any suggestions?

22r2TDI

TDI
ALH
I'm using this and everything seems to work fine. Cruise works great. Holds at a perfectly constant speed. This is in standard gear drive toyota transfer case and a 2002 alh and computer. Not sure if it's outputting a sine or square wave. Funny thing is my vdo speedometer is erratic around 40mph and then smooths out around 60mph. I've been meaning to check the output with an oscilloscope and see whats going on. Vag-com seems to have a nice smooth reading though.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci

'82 Toyota pickup 4x4 ALH

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'm using this and everything seems to work fine. Cruise works great. Holds at a perfectly constant speed. This is in standard gear drive toyota transfer case and a 2002 alh and computer. Not sure if it's outputting a sine or square wave. Funny thing is my vdo speedometer is erratic around 40mph and then smooths out around 60mph. I've been meaning to check the output with an oscilloscope and see whats going on. Vag-com seems to have a nice smooth reading though.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci

'82 Toyota pickup 4x4 ALH
I clicked on the link and the sensor is a 3 wire which has a built in signal buffer and is most likely very similar to a vw sender in output....the tacoma sender is a two wire (signal/ground) thats positioned on the back of the cluster (tacoma uses a speedo cable:rolleyes:) ....so my pulse is sine wave....I've ordered a dakota digital but I may have another solution that I'll try out tomorrow ....will update:)

matt87

TDI
2000 Golf ALH
Hey jimbote, did you get VW cruise to work with the stock toyota cruise control switch? I've been looking at doing this, and it looks do-able, may have to re-work the toyota switch though. Do you happen to know the pin continuity pattern coming out of the VW cruise control switch? I have the schematic (but I find it hard to read), but I wanted to check for continuity and resistance in the different switch positions, off, on, resume, set. I have all the resistances for the toyota switch... trying to see if I can/need to make them line up.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hey jimbote, did you get VW cruise to work with the stock toyota cruise control switch? I've been looking at doing this, and it looks do-able, may have to re-work the toyota switch though. Do you happen to know the pin continuity pattern coming out of the VW cruise control switch? I have the schematic (but I find it hard to read), but I wanted to check for continuity and resistance in the different switch positions, off, on, resume, set. I have all the resistances for the toyota switch... trying to see if I can/need to make them line up.
the toyota switch uses a series of resistors that add up with different switch positions (as you surmised), but the VW uses simple on/off or mometary for all the switch positions....add to that the tacoma cruise switch uses only three wires and they all feed through the clock spring....so to answer your question i did not use the factory toyota switch as I would have lost some of the VW cruise capabilities....so I simply cut down a VW cruise stalk and screwed it to the toyota column ....actually looks factory and i was able to keep all my cruise functions:).... also had replace my non cruise BLS (brake light switch) for toyota cruise type BLS (the cruise portion of the BLS is Normally Closed)....also the factory clutch cruise switch on the taco is Normally Open but the VW ecm needs to see 12v for the cruise to function so I could not use that switch....instead I installed the same type switch that I used on the brake (normally closed)

Last edited:

hbarca

TDI
I am looking to buy the 1.9L TDI to "performance tune"
I am looking to try one of these babies in a 914. I was curious what I need to get interms of the tdi harness so I can put it in a 914. please let me know. thanks.!!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jimbote, post a photo of your Cruise stalk!

I need to be working on that feature of my project. Seems my welders are dragging their feet........ I will purchase a welder when I get my new garage built!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
cruise and exhaust...

turn signal stalk from the VW cut down and screwed from the inside of the taco column....the vw cruise stalk snaps apart from the backside exposing the ribbon cable and switch....once that is removed it's safe to cut/drill the stalk for mounting (sorry no pics, was in the heat of the moment)

slit in the plastic for the cruise stalk ribbon cable...the remainder of the ribbon is duct taped to the inside of the column cover and the connector is zip tied securely to the cover....the cruise at the moment gets its "speed" signal from the ecm's tach output and is adjusted via a dakota digital box, actually works great....but I'm working on another speed sensor solution that will use an actual vehicle speed signal...just been too busy to test it

side exit exhaust....turboprop style:D

showing the transition over the frame rail and out the bedside....all three inch stainless from the flex to the tip

the run down the truck...

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow! That's an excellent idea on mounting the cruise stalk. I've had that part of my project on the back shelf and only scratch my head when I think about it. I do have the cable modified to fit onto the ALH VSS device. I suppose I'll just secure it in the vicinity of the cluster and use the Dakota digital converter!

I like the exhaust. Do you have muffler on it, CAT, etc.?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Wow! That's an excellent idea on mounting the cruise stalk. I've had that part of my project on the back shelf and only scratch my head when I think about it. I do have the cable modified to fit onto the ALH VSS device. I suppose I'll just secure it in the vicinity of the cluster and use the Dakota digital converter!

I like the exhaust. Do you have muffler on it, CAT, etc.?
thanks andy :) ....i do want you to make your goal of TDI fest....I prob won't make this one but who knows.... no muffler or cat, however it's a little loud for my taste so I may cut in a glasspack or small diameter borla muffler....make sure you read dakota digitals website about their speedo converter...something in the description about not working on vanagons....may not apply to yours though EDIT**....now that I think about it the incompatability is with their tach adapter on a vanagon...not the speedo unit...

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm using the VSS from an ALH TDI. The Vanagon speed-O-cable will be turning it. There shouldn't be a problem.

I have installed a CAT on my project and at the moment do plan to add a small glass pack type muffler.

As far as the TDI Fest, I will be there for the entire event. However, I seriously doubt that the Vanagon will be ready by then. There's just been too much on my plate to make the progress I had hoped for this summer. If I could work on it everyday from now until the fest, I might get it finished! Besides a plate full, I've tried to address each item solidly so that I never have to go back to it!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Diesel Registration....

was waiting until my inspection came due to take care of the legal portion of my swap....basically I took the truck to the local highway patrol/DMV office and had one of the Inspectors confirm it was indeed converted to diesel...he filled out a long form (pictured below) that stated the truck was converted from gas to diesel...

LT-270 filled out by the local NCDMV inspection officer stating the truck was gas but converted to diesel...had to submit this form along with the current registration to the local license/title bureau where I recieved this....

shiny new registration with "D" in the fuel type box :)....the one form I did not receive a copy of was the MVR-5 (corrected or substituted title application)...for some reason they would not let me make a copy of the completed form

and the inspection certificate....vin was entered in the inspecting shops computer and came back as a "safety inspection" no OBD plug in required...truck passed with ease :)

Last edited:

RBX

TDI
none
Very cool. When I recently asked our DMV about the same process in my state, they said we just pop the hood and look to see if it's diesel and fill out a form.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Very cool. When I recently asked our DMV about the same process in my state, they said we just pop the hood and look to see if it's diesel and fill out a form.
seems to be the standard procedure for "most" states.... I guess it could come down to an issue with states rights vs fed law in determining what it's citizens do with their private vehicles...for now I'm happy that I was able to legally convert my truck...I just hope the right to do so is preserved as "we" (the converters) represent such a small segment of the automotive population merely a drop in the bucket :rolleyes:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Just an update with pics to follow...I've logged over 8k miles since I drove the truck out of the shop back in march...so far so good...some major mods on the way include:
*fabbing up some side engine mounts and getting rid of my prototype "blockbuster" setup :rolleyes:
*4.30 rear e locker with matching ratio front diff
*R151 trans with a supra turbo fifth gear for good highway cruising
*gtb1756vk turbo (currently mocked up on a spare long block)
*tune from vwmikel to clear out all the missing module codes + mo' powah' :D

Last edited:

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
Just a thought you may want to white out or blur your id number, and maybe your addy! Lots of bad intentioned folks lurking around. Not to say that they are any here but i saw how tough it was when a GF of mine had her identity stolen, she has had years of fighting with credit agencies/courts etc. Nice work though! I Have never been brave enough to try and change any of mine, i will have to when i finally make my residency actually nc!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Just a thought you may want to white out or blur your id number, and maybe your addy! Lots of bad intentioned folks lurking around. Not to say that they are any here but i saw how tough it was when a GF of mine had her identity stolen, she has had years of fighting with credit agencies/courts etc. Nice work though! I Have never been brave enough to try and change any of mine, i will have to when i finally make my residency actually nc!
yeah you're right...I'm such a trusting soul :rolleyes:....thanks for pointing that out...I'll edit that stuff tonight

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Must be a good feeling to take your ride for a put, I keep working on my install, hopeful i will be going sooner than later. Congrats on your completion and getting it going.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Must be a good feeling to take your ride for a put, I keep working on my install, hopeful i will be going sooner than later. Congrats on your completion and getting it going.
it does feel good :) over 8k miles since I drove it out of the shop and only one "breakdown" ....popped the fuel feed line to the IP and it stalled on US1....I few minutes and a hose clamp later i was back up and running ...hows that big fat intercooler working?

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
You know it is going to work out fine, I figured that it would support at least 250 hp as I have a friend that knew what it went on, he has cat tractors. Big and bulky but good in the cooling department, just stick it in front and protect it. Just sorting out the wiring for the two harnesses, Zuk,TDI, going to start it then tare it down and then paint back together again, then drive the hell out of it. I hope I have as good results as you in getting mine going...

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Registering TDI Conversion

Cool jimbote. I will look into getting mine changed to a D when I have to get it smogged in July next year. Figure I'll look into it in June :D

Any ideas on where to find a triple gauge pod for your year or 2nd gen Toyota trucks?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Cool jimbote. I will look into getting mine changed to a D when I have to get it smogged in July next year. Figure I'll look into it in June :D

Any ideas on where to find a triple gauge pod for your year or 2nd gen Toyota trucks?
you could use something like this.... http://www.yotatech.com/50970202-post8.html
it's from the first gen 4runner and could be modified to accept 2 1/8" gauges ...just an idea...yeah it's huge but would fit perfectly on your yota dash