2009-2011 Jetta & Golf MPG vs MPH and RPM

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
Actually, I don't believe they should be parallel because the power to overcome drag goes up by the cube of the velocity. So, the power required to overcome drag at 100 mph vs 50 mph is 8 times more (100/50)^3 = 8. Maybe someone with more fluid dynamics / mechanical knowledge could offer / check my explanation below.

The power in Derrel's, yours, and my car is the same. The coefficient of drag is vitually the same. Derrel does have lower rolling resistance tires. As we continue to accelerate more and more power is used to overcome drag in fact 8x more at 100 mph than 50 mph. So, assuming that the other forces acting on our car are virtually linear with speed, the magnitude of the difference between our mpg at low speeds should not stay constant as we increase speed but should get smaller or converge. If all forces acting on the car were linear vs speed including drag, then the curves would tend to be parallel.

I don't know why Darth's curve is so low especially at higher mph. He does have the revo chip though. Last summer, in TX on I 10/20 where the speed limit is 80 mph, I ran at 85 mph for about 100 miles or so (both directions) with the A/C on, fully loaded car and got about 35 mpg on the MFD when running at 85 mph. At 85 mph, Darth's curve reads about 26/27 mpg. That's about 25% lower than what I got. That just seems way too low.
I guess that's where I'm confused. Except when substantially modded, all of our cars are very similar so I would assume that, given the same conditions, our mpg vs. mph data would also be similar and track each other rather than converge or diverge. If the power required to overcome drag proportionately increases with speed, shouldn't the data curve at higher speeds steepen rather than flatten out? Thanks again.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Not mentioned here are his 'Porto" 17 inch wheels which do not help F E.
I was thinking the Portos were gonna hurt me, but my understanding was that they provide more inertia for city driving, but doesn't matter as much when at a constant speed (like hwy). Also the larger diameter means fewer rotations and should help right?

Also, I just came from a trip and I noticed something: when drafting behind a truck at 58mph, I was getting 58mpg +/- 2mpg. I got awesome mileage for about 60 miles or so. This was all cruise control on flat plains. Once the truck exited, I kept it up but saw my mileage drop to about 46 +/- 2mpg. Funny thing happened next: every time I saw a car pass me on the left, my mileage would spike above 50mpg momentarily and when there were a bunch of other cars around, I saw it go near 50mpg again.

My observation is that I can get near Derrel's numbers at those times, otherwise my numbers look much lower.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I was thinking the Portos were gonna hurt me, but my understanding was that they provide more inertia for city driving, but doesn't matter as much when at a constant speed (like hwy). Also the larger diameter means fewer rotations and should help right?

Also, I just came from a trip and I noticed something: when drafting behind a truck at 58mph, I was getting 58mpg +/- 2mpg. I got awesome mileage for about 60 miles or so. This was all cruise control on flat plains. Once the truck exited, I kept it up but saw my mileage drop to about 46 +/- 2mpg. Funny thing happened next: every time I saw a car pass me on the left, my mileage would spike above 50mpg momentarily and when there were a bunch of other cars around, I saw it go near 50mpg again.

My observation is that I can get near Derrel's numbers at those times, otherwise my numbers look much lower.
2 points.

1. I think the real answer is what you actually get per tank full ( miles traveled/ 10-14 gals) This is not to say the MFD is not a use full projection tool. I base my real numbers on the physical measurement (miles/gals) even as I (like most folks ) use the MFD.

2. Given how you drive and the conditions, not much substitues for an A/B test. 17 in oem vs 16 in oem. So for example, I would swag you would GAIN mph, switching (down) to 16 in wheel and tire combination. all things being equal. Let us put it this way, almost no body has reported both over the years and miles, a GAIN in mpg when going to bigger wheel/tire combination size.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
I guess that's where I'm confused. Except when substantially modded, all of our cars are very similar so I would assume that, given the same conditions, our mpg vs. mph data would also be similar and track each other rather than converge or diverge. If the power required to overcome drag proportionately increases with speed, shouldn't the data curve at higher speeds steepen rather than flatten out? Thanks again.
No, the slope (tangent) of the mpg vs mph curve should flatten. If slope increased or got steeper with speed, that would imply that at some speed (mph) we would get zero mpg and the curve would go negative. Of course that doesn't happen. There will be a speed (terminal velocity) where we cannot continue to accelerate as we do not have enough horsepower to overcome drag and other forces. Even at this speed we will get a positve mpg.

The convergence at higher speeds is due to the fact that that there are factors not affected very much if at all by speed (eg. your taller gear than mine) that will have less absolute effect on mpg as speed increases. The effect of drag (which is the same for both cars) will have more affect and the gearing less absolute affect on mpg as speed increases. For example, at 50mph gearing may increase your mpg by 5 over mine but at 100 mph the effect may only be 2.5 mpg because drag has significatly lowered the average mpg at 100 mph vs 50 mph. So, the curves converge (get closer together). Also, remember a shift of one or two data point will shift the curves up or down slighty.

Here's a link with some examples. Note the general shape of the curves.

Also, here's something from fueleconomy.gov
According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

At some speed the slope of the curves should flatten assuming gearing doesn't change (eg. CVTs or upshifting to a taller gear) or there is not some huge improvement in engine efficiency as speed increases.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
I do want to make another point on the mpg vs mph curve. I did make test run at 40 and 45 mph in 6th gear. What I found was that at 45 mph the MPG were slightly lower than at 50 and still lower at 40 mph. So the mpg curve peaks somewhere around 50 mph and then falls when decreasing speed. This is likely due to running below the higher efficiency points on the BFSC map. At 40 and 45 mph, the rpm is 6th gear is 1289 and 1450, respectively.

Here's my actual data and a smoothed curve.

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
So what you are saying is if I purchase a 2010 6spd Jetta, and can make myself stay 65mph, I shouldnt have a problem hitting 48mpg on the highway :)

this makes me happy.

again, this is a GREAT thread

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
So what you are saying is if I purchase a 2010 6spd Jetta, and can make myself stay 65mph, I shouldnt have a problem hitting 48mpg on the highway :)

this makes me happy.

again, this is a GREAT thread
You'll should get a litte more as the 2010 manual is geared quite a bit higher than the DSG. But that's highway only, no a/c, flat roads, no active regeneration, tire pressure higher than normal, and probably summer fuel. Did I leave out an caveats? YOUR MPG MAY BE MORE OR LESS. :D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Absolutely

So what you are saying is if I purchase a 2010 6 MT Jetta, and can make myself
stay 65 mph
, I shouldn't have a problem hitting 48 mpg on the highway :)

this makes me happy. again, this is a GREAT thread
:)

See: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3281803#post3281803

Note the second line, the Salmon colored one. At a steady speed of 65 MPH, Rockwater,
under ideal conditions is getting over 50 MPG, and when his stock original tires are
finished and he upgrades to some good LRR tires in a taller profile, I would not
be surprised if he could bust close to 55 MPG under those same conditions. :p
Rockwater's JSW with a 6 MT is turning 1802 RPM at a true 65 MPH.
DSGs with those same stock tires are turning 2095 RPMs at that same speed.
That extra almost 300 revolutions per mile difference does cost F E.

When I mounted the taller 205/65-16 GYs, my DSG revs per mile dropped to 1973.
In doing so, revolutions per mile dropped by 122.
The trick is to keep the revs down. It does take some self discipline to be sure. :p

Note the top line on the chart. 53 MPG at 65 MPH. That JSW has a DSG. It also has over sized LRR tires.
DSG equipped vehicles do not have the advantage of the much taller gearing as do the late 6 MTs!
So if you combine the advantages of a 6 MT and LRR tires . . .
Understand, all of these figures were obtained under ideal conditions:
No wind, level terrain, daytime, good fuel with a good additive, and in the case of the
DSG at the top of the graph, LRR tires inflated above the VW recommended PSI.

No one can or should expect these figures in everyday highway cruising, but it sure
is fun to try as you watch the 'high ballers' barreling by you at 80 MPH or even higher,
knowing the F E they are not getting, and what F E you are receiving! ;)

Do not purchase over sized or larger wheels, as in seventeens or eighteens, as that kills F E.
Why pay more for heavier wheels, and tires that will cost more when
you must replace them, to get a slightly poorer ride and poorer F E? :confused:

Golf buyers have no choice, but as someone who is interested in a Jetta, you do! :p

:D

D

Last edited:

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
I do want to make another point on the mpg vs mph curve. I did make test run at 40 and 45 mph in 6th gear. What I found was that at 45 mph the MPG were slightly lower than at 50 and still lower at 40 mph. So the mpg curve peaks somewhere around 50 mph and then falls when decreasing speed. This is likely due to running below the higher efficiency points on the BFSC map. At 40 and 45 mph, the rpm is 6th gear is 1289 and 1450, respectively.

Here's my actual data and a smoothed curve.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Plus 3. I was looking at the descent of the curve past 50 mph where it does steepen and extrapolating it to the higher mphs where drag becomes an increasingly important factor. Graphs of actual data don't lie. Must be that engine efficiency improves at higher rpms as you seem to be suggesting. Someone else was inquiring about mpgs at high mphs in another thread. The answer is right there in the Auto Bild magazine graph. Thanks for providing the link. Neat stuff!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Points . .

I was thinking the Portos were gonna hurt me, but my understanding was that they provide
more inertia for city driving
, but doesn't matter as much when at a constant speed (like hwy).
Also the larger diameter means fewer rotations and should help right?

Also, I just came from a trip and I noticed something: when drafting behind a truck at 58 mph,
I was getting 58 mpg +/- 2mpg. I got awesome mileage for about 60 miles or so. This was all cruise control on flat plains. Once the truck exited, I kept it up but saw my mileage drop to about 46 +/- 2mpg.
Funny thing happened next: every time I saw a car pass me on the left, my mileage would
spike above 50 mpg momentarily and when there were a bunch of other cars around,
I saw it go near 50mpg again.

My observation is that
I can get near Derrel's numbers at those times, otherwise my numbers look much lower.

Several points here, as underlined above:

Portos do hurt F E, more so on the highway than in town, although they will hurt F E there also.
The 'larger diameter' [wheel/tire combination] 'means fewer rotations', while true, is
not that important here because it is so slight, as in only 2 revs difference per mile!
(837 for the 205/55-16s vs 835 for the 225/45-17s)
What is hurting your F E more is the added tread width
(7.5 inches for the 225/45-17s vs 6.7 inches for the 205/55-16s).
Also to be considered is the added weight of your tires over the stock 16s.
While it is only approximately one pound only, what about the added weight of
the Portos over the Biolines
? I know not what that difference may be, if any? :confused:

'My observation is that I can get near Derrel's numbers at
those times, otherwise my numbers look much lower.
'

I did not draft for those numbers that are posted.
Had I done so, my numbers would have been considerably higher!

One of the reason the F E readings are as high as they are, are the tires I am using.
There is indeed truth to the GY ads, plus going from a 837 revs
per mile tire to a 790 revs per mile surely helps also.
Putting it in another way, I went from a 24.9 inches diameter tire to a 26.5 inch diameter.
And the new larger tires weighed the same as the originals!
My question: How much of the F E improvement is from the
LRR tires and how much is from the overall raised gearing
? :confused:

If I draft which is seldom (I do not do it often) as being a retired professional
driver, I know full well all about reaction times and distances travel
per second, etc., and know that it can be and is dangerous.
Try less than one car length and get your instantaneous readings and then back off.
When you follow really closely behind, you are almost in the trucks vacuum,
and should see reading much higher than you are reporting.

D

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for taking the time to explain, Plus 3. I was looking at the descent of the curve past 50 mph where it does steepen and extrapolating it to the higher mphs where drag becomes an increasingly important factor. Graphs of actual data don't lie. Must be that engine efficiency improves at higher rpms as you seem to be suggesting. Someone else was inquiring about mpgs at high mphs in another thread. The answer is right there in the Auto Bild magazine graph. Thanks for providing the link. Neat stuff!
When I have some time I MAY do the calculations as shown here and compute the theoretical fuel economy.:eek: Again, note the shape of the curve in the Theoretical Mileage graph.

Here's also a link that will help explain the BSFC map and how to use it.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI

As whitedog said way back then:

"My head just 'splodeded"

In my words, that's way over my head! :p

D
That's why I said "may" do it.:D What is important is "real world" fuel economy not theoretical. But what it would do is cast serious doubt on the "exagerated" fuel economy claims we see. IIRC, I remember someone claming 50 mpg at 80 mph with a common rail TDI.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MAY Be

That's why I said "may" do it.:D What is important is "real world" fuel economy not theoretical. But what it would do is cast serious doubt on the "exaggerated" fuel economy claims we see. IIRC, I remember someone claiming 50 mpg at 80 mph with a common rail TDI.

Understood! I would have to be 'in-the-mood' as the song goes
(Glen Miller), to do it if I had the ability (I do not.).

Speaking of:

When and if you happen to feel like it, could you, would you please try and ascertain how much of my
improved F E is due to the larger diameter tires, and how much is because they are LRR? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am dying to know. Maybe others are curious also? :confused:

D

Last edited:

TDIAllen

TDI
2010 JSW DSG; 2016 Passat SE 1.8T

First:

Yes, but that change was not readily readable at first glance. :p
Review my Fuelly entries being April 27, 2010. Perhaps you may see a pattern? :confused:
Our JSW was new, and not nearly broken it yet at approximately 4,400 miles.

Took some time before I was fully aware of what was actually happening.

GY says a four percent improvement in F E, and I think that is about right.
I am getting more than that, but how much of the increases I am seeing
are from the LRR GY tires and how much improvement in F E is from
going to a taller tire which decreased the RPMs? :confused:

Second:

Concerning the question about going to a bigger (or different) diameter tire and not being
able to have your MFD, Speedometer and Odometer be correct, VW has seen fit to
provide us with an adjustment. This adjustment must be done using a VAG-COM!
Very thoughtful and considerate of VW to provide such a feature, don't you think? :confused:

In my case, the DSG JSW was set from the factory with a '7'.
For it to be exactly the same as it was prior to changing tires, my friend, using his VAG-COM,
discovered that the adjustment needed to be changed from the stock setting of '7' to a '3'.

It now reads and shows everything accurately just as it did before I upsized the tires!

Questions and/or comments are welcomed. :p

D
Derrel,

When at a stop on fairly level street, did you notice any difference in how the clutch operates when you release the brake and it engages 1st gear between the 205/55-16 and the 205/65-16 tires? How about when starting out on a hill? Did you consider 205/60-16s?

It's sounds like you are confident that the DSG clutch will not be harmed with the larger tires. I'm all for going with the larger tires myself, but I want to make sure the clutches will not wear prematurely.

Sorry if this was answered already.

This is an excellent thread!

Allen

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No Differnces

Derrel,

When at a stop on fairly level street, did you notice any difference in how the clutch
operates
when you release the brake and it engages 1st gear between
the 205/55-16 and the 205/65-16 tires?
How about when starting out on a hill? Did you consider 205/60-16s?
It's sounds like you are confident that the DSG clutch will not be harmed with the larger tires. I'm all for going with the larger tires myself, but I want to make sure the clutches will not
wear prematurely. [A good question!]

Sorry if this was answered already. [Don't think that has been covered yet.]

This is an excellent thread!

Allen

It is indeed an excellent tread! ;)

I haven't noticed any difference or that it seems to be struggling, if that's what you mean?
In fact, when making a customary California Second Gear rolling stop as in almost stopping at
a stop sigh and rolling through it at one or two mph, it actually moves away in second gear!

When choosing the larger tires, I weighed everything including the diameters and the
different weights of the different sized tires, and because I mainly was doing this to
raise the overall gearing
, I wanted to go as large as I could within reason.

In fact, I am considering going even larger now, as in the GY Assurance
Fuel Max
tires in size 215/65-16s.
Their tread is actually narrower than the 205/65-16s I have mounted now.
There is room I think? This change would give me another .5 inches in diameter
as these tires measure 27 inch total diameter. Revs are only 774 per mile!
What do you think? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes, I did consider the smaller 205/60-16s, but mainly I was after the largest
diameter I could
use, and besides that, the 205/65-16s actually listed for less money!
You must be careful here however, as some of the other brands in
these sizes can be much heavier than you might want to run!
I considered only the GY Fuel Max tires as some of the other brands such as
Michelins weigh as much as 25 pounds, and I didn't want to do that!

I never thought of any strain that going to an overall taller gearing might have on the DSG
transmission. I am glad that you and Oilhammer have brought that up.
It seems like it works so easily and is not straining at all.
I guess time and mileage will indeed tell if I am actually hurting anything!

As a side-note question: Is the same clutch used for both First gear and Reverse?
I read it somewhere, but I am too tired this late to search for the answer! :p

D

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Derrel,

I'm also considering the 205x65x16's, the FuelMax, and my 09 is a DSG, so just a little worried about upsetting the DSG.

I kind of think that the small amount of added strain would not be enough to cause problems. After all, the European DSG's have a rated towing capacity as high as a manual trans, 1000 lbs I think.

As most of my driving is highway anyway, there shouldn't be much added strain.

What is your best guess on mpg improvement due to the added diameter / lower rpm's?

TDIAllen

TDI

It is indeed an excellent tread! ;)

I haven't noticed any difference or that it seems to be struggling, if that's what you mean?
In fact, when making a customary California Second Gear rolling stop as in almost stopping at
a stop sigh and rolling through it at one or two mph, it actually moves away in second gear!

When choosing the larger tires, I weighed everything including the diameters and the
different weights of the different sized tires, and because I mainly was doing this to
raise the overall gearing, I wanted to go as large as I could within reason.

Fuel Max tires in size 215/65-16s.

Yes, I did consider the smaller 205/60-16s, but mainly I was after the largest
diameter I could
use, and besides that, the 205/65-16s actually listed for less money!
You must be careful here however, as some of the other brands in
these sizes can be much heavier than you might want to run!
I considered only the GY Fuel Max tires as some of the other brands such as
Michelins weigh as much as 25 pounds, and I didn't want to do that!

I never thought of any strain that going to an overall taller gearing might have on the DSG
transmission. I am glad that you and Oilhammer have brought that up.
It seems like it works so easily and is not straining at all.
I guess time and mileage will indeed tell if I am actually hurting anything!

As a side-note question: Is the same clutch used for both First gear and Reverse?
I read it somewhere, but I am too tired this late to search for the answer! :p

D
No DSG struggling with the larger size is good to hear.

I don't recall if you said what your former tire brand was. I have OEM Hankooks now and am dissapointed with the noise and vibration they transmit on rough surfaces, although they handle OK. How do the GY Fuel Max tires compare for handling and especially noise? I would think that the 205/65-16's extra rubber would help to make a quieter ride.

TDIAllen

TDI

Fuel Max tires in size 215/65-16s.

D
I guess that depends on how much clearance you are getting with the 205/65-16s and whether there is additional room.

I forgot to mention: Is there any risk of violating VW warranty rules?

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good Question

I guess that depends on how much clearance you are getting
with the 205/65-16s and whether there is additional room.

I forgot to mention: Is there any risk of violating VW warranty rules?

Mine seems to have plenty of room for me to go larger.
I would be only going .25 inches more diameter on each side of the tire.
My diameter now is 26.5 inches. I would be going to 27 inches with the larger size.

As far as risking a violation of the VW warranty, I never thought about that. :confused:
I'm too lazy to dig into that question in the owners manual.

I will simply ask my friend at the dealership for his educated opinion. :p

D

TDIAllen

TDI
Tire chains

Mine seems to have plenty of room for me to go larger.
I would be only going .25 inches more diameter on each side of the tire.
My diameter now is 26.5 inches. I would be going to 27 inches with the larger size.

As far as risking a violation of the VW warranty, I never thought about that. :confused:
I'm too lazy to dig into that question in the owners manual.

I will simply ask my friend at the dealership for his educated opinion. :p

D
Have you considered the clearance with 205/65-16s when using tire chains? I will be buying a set of class S chains for the oem tires.

Right now I'm still on the fence on whether to go with a larger size tire in the future. Have less than 8K on the car and the original tires have a ways to go.

I'll be staying tuned to this thread and I appreciate hearing the news about the larger tires.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No Chains, Ever

Have you considered the clearance with 205/65-16s when using tire chains? I will be buying a set of class S chains for the oem tires.

Right now I'm still on the fence on whether to go with a larger size tire in the future.
Have less than 8K on the car and the original tires have a ways to go. [Indeed!]

I'll be staying tuned to this thread and I appreciate hearing the news about the larger tires.

If I need chains, I simply don't go.
At almost 75 years young, I would not put them on even if I had them.
I have never ever used chains, and I never will.

I watched my dad struggle with them up in Crestline on our '47 Hudson
in 1948, and I decide early on about chains. Not for me.

The chains you are considering are rather expensive. I recall that they are over $400?
I understand they don't stick out very far, so could work even with larger diameter tires. :confused:

I have heard of the original factory tires running 50 K miles. You have life left in yours.

I wanted to try and gear mine higher and to also try the LRR GYs, so at only 4 K miles,
I changed, and got lucky, as one of the employees that worked in the parts
department bought my take-offs for $80. I paid $360 for my GYs,
so that worked out fairly well for me I think.

D

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
There are tire socks, an alternative to chains. This guy plowed the snow with autosocks on the rear wheels of his S2000...

The cons is, you'd have to immediately remove the socks when you're not on snow or ice.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If I draft which is seldom (I do not do it often) as being a retired professional
driver, I know full well all about reaction times and distances travel
per second, etc., and know that it can be and is dangerous.
Try less than one car length and get your instantaneous readings and then back off.
When you follow really closely behind, you are almost in the trucks vacuum,
and should see reading much higher than you are reporting.

D
Mythbusters did a show on drafting versus mpg a couple of years back. IIRC, to see substanial gains in mpg with the car they were using, they had to be within 15 feet of the semi trailer. I.E. NO REACTION TIME!

Looked up the data from www.treehugger.com.
"In road tests, the testers achieved an almost 20% improvement in gas mileage at a distance of 100 feet (at 55 mph) and a 45% improvement at 10 feet.
Tim also calculates that at 100 feet you have 1.25 seconds to respond if the truck slams on the brakes, (keep off that cell phone) and at ten feet you have .124 seconds. The reccommended distance at 55 miles per hour is 150 feet."

Last edited:

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I was looking at the vw.com site, technical data for the 2011 JSW and the 2011 Golf with 6 speed manual.

The data for the 2011 JSW shows that it has the 2009 gearbox ratios, while the 2011 Golf shows the taller ratios.

Is this correct or do all 2010/2011 JSWs have the taller gearbox too? Or do you have to buy the Golf non-wagon to get the taller gearbox?

Thanks!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
6 MT Overall Gear Ratios

I was looking at the VW.com site, technical data for the
2011 JSW and the 2011 Golf with 6 speed manuals.

The data for the 2011 JSW shows that it has the 2009 gearbox ratios,
while the 2011 Golf shows the taller ratios. [Incorrect]

Is this correct or do all 2010/2011 JSWs have the taller gearbox too?
Or do you have to buy the Golf non-wagon to get the taller gearbox?

Thanks!

Whatever you are viewing is not accurate! :(

Earlier and maybe all MY 2009s have the lower or shorter gears. Overall ratio is 2.2356.

All 2010-2011s with 6 MT transmissions have the same ratios. Overall ratio is 1.9872 .

All CR TDI DSGs, regardless of the year or model have lower ratios. Overall ratio is 2.3104.

The transmission for best F E is the 6 MT as installed in the 2010-2011s when driven properly.

Comments welcomed and appreciated. :p

D

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You might want to check the warrenty issue with tire chains. I know I've had a couple of cars in the past that stated the anti-corrosion warrenty was void if you ran chains. I also had a problem with a chain slipping and almost pulling out the brake line. It did catch the parking brake line and pulled it enough that the brake locked up.

TDIAllen

TDI
You might want to check the warrenty issue with tire chains. I know I've had a couple of cars in the past that stated the anti-corrosion warrenty was void if you ran chains. I also had a problem with a chain slipping and almost pulling out the brake line. It did catch the parking brake line and pulled it enough that the brake locked up.
Clearance specs for chains are in the 2010 JSW owner's manual, so I assume that the warranty would not be compromised. You are right to be concerned about chains slipping and causing damage. I have heard of damage as high as $700 from chain damage (quoting my mechanic friend).

Anyway, I changed my mind and did not buy the chains as the winter season is coming to an end soon (hopefully--we had as surprise winter snow today). I plan to budget for a set of winter tires and steel wheels for next year.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
A note to everyone, make sure those taller tires are H rated and not simply T rated passenger car tires.

The failure/ blow-out characteristics of an H rated tire are much different than to that of the cheaper T speed rating.

In regards to tire speed rating, this is not about driving fast or wanting to be cool, but about safty.