ONLY 2009/2010 Fuel System Related Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
This thread is ONLY for HPFP failures and fuel system failures/problems in the 2009/2010 TDI’s. After several discussions with various members a decision was made to have a designated thread to track/monitor the failures and problems associated with HPFP and fuel system issues. I’ll repeat again, this is not a discussion thread, but a thread for posting your actual HPFP failure and/or any fuel related problem that required service. Please include the following information below in your post. If you need to add/change something, just go and EDIT your original post. If you know someone (non member) with one of these problems, get the information and post it here. At least by tracking this problem in one thread it should make it easier to keep tabs on. Please add pictures if you feel it’s necessary. You may also want to include the “miles from last fuel up until failure”. Try to be as factual as possible. I know this has been very frustrating for some of you, but this may be a means to an end- a positive end for us new 09/10 owners. I have not experienced any problems thus far and expect this to be a rare issue. Hopefully there will only be a few posts in here! I will update this post once a month or as necessary when new problems are posted.
Year:
Build Date:
Make/Model:
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began)
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)
Additives: (Yes/No)
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
Link to your post if you posted somewhere else on the site
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
There are over 190 owners with 09/10's on this site. New owners join this site, previous owners are selling or getting rid of their new TDI. Keeping track is rather difficult. Hopefully people will continue to post their post here. If someone sees a new HPFP post elsewhere on this site, feel free to PM that person or me so we can get their info in this thread. Thanks to everyone for helping track this.

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Year: 2009
Build Date: 10/08
Make/Model: VW/Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG, 6M Manual
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began)
11,173 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)
The Loading Zone. Sources diesel fuel from Ergon WV Inc. Produces 20,000 barrels per day from Appalachian Crude.

Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) All fuel system components replaced because of bad HPFP.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
Original dealer diagnosed as contaminated fuel. (Wheeling Automotive Group)
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
Second dealer (Three Rivers VW) covered under warranty. Great dealership with knowledgeable mechanics.

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
Build date: 02/09
Make/Model: Jetta Wagon
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 23633
Diesel Fuel Source: Varied, drove 8000 miles cross-country. Locally, mostly Citgo, Hess, Sunoco. Fuel before failure was Sunoco.
Additives: None
Problem: Sudden no-start. Fuel system had no corrosion or metal. Glow plug wet in one cylinder. VW tech line suspected low fuel pressure from HPFP. Confirmed with measurements, and replaced pump.
Dealer: Burdick VW Syracuse
Status: Fixed under warranty. Bad fuel not suspected. Good dealership experience - the tech who worked on my car was a TDI owner and enthusiast. No problems so far 4500 miles later.
See Also: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268609

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Pictures

Here are some photos from members who took the time to document their fuel system related problems. As more pictures are available, I'll add them. Thanks to dwiesel and birkie for posting their info. A few more members have PM'd me and will be posting their information also. Thanks for helping keep this thread "clean". (Sorry for the poor pict display. Not my cup'o tea.)

Fuel Canister below is from a 2010 TDI with 8,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

jshoutex

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Build Date: don't know exact but estimate 1Q2009
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Mileage: just over 17K
Diesel Fuel Source: Too many sources. Did multi-state road trip, etc. Narrowing selection now.
Additives: No
Problem: MIL (check engine) light came on but noticed no loss of power or function. Took car to dealer. They told me they found metal shavings in the tank, bad fuel with water present, and corrosion around the fuel filter. Called back and told me that they would be replacing the entire fuel system tank and all under warranty. Told me that the shop foreman had seen "a few" similar problems and they gave me no hassle about warranty. Admitted HPFP failed, but seem to believe that bad fuel is the primary issue. Talked to them about additives - they were on the fence but one tech who was in the service area said Stanadyne couldn't hurt and that he uses it in older models. Asked them if they think this will be a recurring problem with Bosch HPFP part and they were clueless. Bottom line they handled it well but I don't think I've seen the end of this issue.
Dealer: Momentum VW/Audi Houston TX
Status: Fixed in under a week with free loaner under warranty no hassle. Expect I'll be back in another 17K when it happens again.

tallymom

TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 09
09 Jetta Wagon Metal in fuel

Year:09
Build Date: not sure (still at dealer)

Make/Model:Wagon TDI Manual trans
Mileage: 21,???
Diesel Fuel Source: USA Gasoline
Additives: (No
Problem: (HPFP failed.... Driving last Monday, Engine Malfunction light came on and then went off. Glow plug light continued to blink. Stopped (at baseball field, probably 100 yds after lights went on)
Left for evening, no light, very faint noise in engine. Drove 50 yds and battery light came on. Stopped and car died. Cranked up and into reverse for 10 feet, died and wouldn't crank.
Towed to dealer next morning. Capital Eurocar in Tallahassee. First call they told me I put gas in the Diesel engine. I told them I had put fuel in 3 days prior and driven over 150 miles.
Called that afternoon to say they were putting some sort of fuel sensor in the following day.
Called the next afternoon to say it was put in but didn't fix the problem. Said they had a similar problem 8 to 10 months ago with another car. Told VW engineers would not be available till following week (that was Thursday) I was given a loner VW Routan at that time.
Called Monday afternoon and told there were metal shavings in the fuel. I asked where they came from and was told that the VW engineers wouldn't say. I was told they were going to replace the gas tank and many other parts and that it should be ready by Wed or Thursday (22-23 of April), unless all the parts weren't available.

Dealer: Capital Eurocar Tallahassee, FL

At this point I have read alot of posts and am afraid this is not the end of this problem. I have 3 boys and worry about reliability. Any thoughts? And what questions should I be asking the dealer?
thanks!
Lisa

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
HPFP problem

Lisa- please check your private messages. I sent you a reply and I'm sure other members may contact you as well. Thanks for posting your HPFP information. VW is on the hook for this problem. Hang in there, sounds like the dealer is going to take care of it under warranty.

Sharpie

TDI
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 27,400
Diesel Fuel Source: Murphy Oil Co
Problem: HPFP Imploded contaminating entire fuel system with metallic particles
Dealer: Northshore VW Mandeville LA
Status: Problem Diagnosed, Parts Ordered Rental Car provided Warraanty covered

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I don't believe the few posts in this thread are indicative to the overall problem of the HPFP mystery. There are a couple members here who have not posted their issue due their current legal situation with their dealer/attorney. I also know this forum doesn't include all the 2009/2010 TDI owners, thus leaving out a lot of information from owners with and without this problem. Until VW provides or publishes this info, we can continue to speculate. What I don't like is the fact that some dealers are taking care of the HPFP failure while others are blaming the owner. IMHO, that boils down to inconsistency among dealers when trying to resolve the same or very similar problems.

If anyone has any connections with VW or with their dealer, perhaps we can obtain some information that way. How many parts related to the HPFP problem have been ordered and by what dealerships? Is there a way to track those parts being sold/shipped/used by the dealers? What about the location of these failures geographically? In looking at the posts here, all came from TX, WV, FL, MS, NY. That assumption is a stretch I know, but I’m just throwing things out there for us to consider. (and argue about) :) What about the additive thing? Did those with the HPFP problem that said they did not use an additive really "not use and additive?" I mean let's be honest, if your manual states “additives can void the warranty”, I’m not sure anyone would admit to using an additive when their fuel system crapped out.

Lastly, for those of you changing your own FF, feel free to post some picts of your FF canister, FF, etc. Just add some info about your car, total mileage, miles on the FF, additives, etc. Is it possible to take a picture of the inside of the tank? I'd love to know what's sloshing around down there.:eek:

Sharpie

TDI
Sharpie said:
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage: 27,400
Diesel Fuel Source: Murphy Oil Co
Problem: HPFP Imploded contaminating entire fuel system with metallic particles
Dealer: Northshore VW Mandeville LA
Status: Picked up the Jetta today with new updated (new part number) pump. All seems to be OK right now. Warranty covered all cost around $9,500 which included rental car and towing bills.
See the update in the quote STATUS above

Chadmag

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date: serial #0027XX
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI Loyal in a grey suit
Mileage: 37,546
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil
Problem: HPFP failed approximately 250 miles after fill up. No change in engine performance or sound prior to engine quitting. Towed to nearest VW dealer. Metal throughout fuel system, recommend total replacement, and not covered due fuel contamination.
Dealer: Prestige VW of Melbourne, FL

gborgan

TDI
09 Jetta sedan
56k first failure

Build Date: mid 08
Make/Model: Jetta sedan,Nav packg
Mileage: 55,835
Diesel Fuel Source: various CA and Southwestern state chains
Additives: (No)
Problem: After 20 perfect months and 55k trouble-free miles, including two trips from San Diego to south Texas and several other long trips, suddenly there was a slight hesitation, some highpitched metalic tinkling noise, then Eng.light, and blinking glowplug light. Then info center says Failure / Workshop. Still running fine. Drove to next errand (few blocks) shut down, came back 5 minutes later, started fine, no lights, all's well. Half mile later same scenario. Decided to drive straight to dealer approx 5 miles. After a mile, it acted as if the turbo boost had stopped. Felt like my old '82 Vanagon diesel! Ran fine but no power. Drove otherwise normally to dealer. Started once there (with difficulty), then later had to be pushed off the service island. I am told it never started again.
Dealer: Drew VW (big Ford dealer since 1926)
Status: On June 29, 26 days after the failure, the car was declared "done" and I picked it up. Happy to say it turned out good as new. The dealer worked out a price considerably less than the full pop. I still had to pay, let's say enough so that if applied to my fuel bill reduces my MPG to about 19. So much for economy. I have a 'new' 12mo/12k warranty on the job. Every part having to do with the fuel system from the tank forward is new. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

hocking

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Build Date: no idea
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Tranny: dsg
Mileage: just under 30,000
Diesel Fuel Source: ) Shell, Chino Hills, CA
Additives: ) never
Problem: Car failed with half a tank of fuel (Wed. June 2). Towed to dealer. Told first that it was a broken fuel pressure sensor. They had car for the weekend. Monday we were told there was contaminated fuel. My husband tested diesel at his work for specific gravity and I can't remember the numbers, but it was most definitely diesel, not gas. I called Bureau of Weights and Measures. They went out to test fuel from station, no contamination found. Dealer drained engine & refueled, car wouldn't start. They sent diesel sample out to Seattle (!) for testing on Wed. June 9. As of June 15 there has been no response. I talked to them yesterday and explained - nicely - that the contaminated fuel theory just doesn't well, hold water, and asked if they were aware of the HPFP failures. I was told that the contaminated fuel theory was valid because the "little diesel engine they put in cars cannot take any gasoline, unlike larger diesel engines, like they put in trucks." Conclusion: car has been in the dealer for 2 weeks with 2 misdiagnoses. We will wait for fuel test results, ask for a written report. In a perfect world, they will step up and fix the problem. If not, we will move the car to a dealer recommended to us by a TDI mechanic and hop on the merry-go-round again.
Dealer: Puente Hill VW (so cal)
Status: complete and utter limbo and going nowhere at the minute

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
hocking said:
Build Date: no idea
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Tranny: dsg
Mileage: just under 30,000
Diesel Fuel Source: ) Shell, Chino Hills, CA
Additives: ) never
Problem: Car failed with half a tank of fuel (Wed. June 2). Towed to dealer. Told first that it was a broken fuel pressure sensor. They had car for the weekend. Monday we were told there was contaminated fuel. My husband tested diesel at his work for specific gravity and I can't remember the numbers, but it was most definitely diesel, not gas. I called Bureau of Weights and Measures. They went out to test fuel from station, no contamination found. Dealer drained engine & refueled, car wouldn't start. They sent diesel sample out to Seattle (!) for testing on Wed. June 9. As of June 15 there has been no response. I talked to them yesterday and explained - nicely - that the contaminated fuel theory just doesn't well, hold water, and asked if they were aware of the HPFP failures. I was told that the contaminated fuel theory was valid because the "little diesel engine they put in cars cannot take any gasoline, unlike larger diesel engines, like they put in trucks." Conclusion: car has been in the dealer for 2 weeks with 2 misdiagnoses. We will wait for fuel test results, ask for a written report. In a perfect world, they will step up and fix the problem. If not, we will move the car to a dealer recommended to us by a TDI mechanic and hop on the merry-go-round again.
Dealer: Puente Hill VW (so cal)
Status: complete and utter limbo and going nowhere at the minute
Yes, I recomended taking your vehicle to McKenna VW in Cerritos, CA because I know the shop foreman pretty well and he told me they have had (3) HPFP issues to date (this was several months ago) which includes (2) Jetta CRs and (1) Audi Q7 TDI. Be sure to call me first before taking your vehicle to them so I can smooth the path of you not having to deal with service writers. I had an extensive conversation with this shop foreman regarding this issue but, out of respect to him, I would rather not disclose the details to this open forum. Contrary to some here who think this HPFP issue is not such a big deal, think again.:rolleyes: Later!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
FIWI I dont beleive that the rusting filter canister has anything to do with the HPFP failures. My wife's 06 PD had the same thing happen to her fuel filter canister at about 20k miles.

MacBuckeye said:
Here are some photos from members who took the time to document their fuel system related problems. As more pictures are available, I'll add them. Thanks to dwiesel and birkie for posting their info. A few more members have PM'd me and will be posting their information also. Thanks for helping keep this thread "clean". (Sorry for the poor pict display. Not my cup'o tea.)

Fuel Canister below is from a 2010 TDI with 8,000 miles on it.

swb1509

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
my broken jetta

Year: 2010
Build Date:11/09

Make/Model:
Mileage: (6101)
Diesel Fuel Source: Name brand
Problem: (Car stalled in traffic. Spent 18 days at dealer w/o diagnostic tools. In absense of tools dealer was told to replace HPFP and the Boost pump. Picked car up and still did not run properly. Buzzing sound coming from boost pump)
Dealer: (Legend autorama)

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
gborgan said:
gborgan said:
Build Date: mid 08
Make/Model: Jetta sedan,Nav packg
Mileage: 55,835
Diesel Fuel Source: various CA and Southwestern state chains
Status: Today is Day 13. It seems this is my dealer's first experience with the HPFP issue. Since they diagnosed a blown pump, they ordered one and installed it without first calling the Help Desk. Had they called they may have been warned about what to expect from a failed pump, such as shrapnel blown throughout the system requiring replacement of everything to the tune of $11,000, a price which has been quoted many times in this forum! The new pump got the engine running, but very poorly, so they called Help Desk and was told to check the filter. Upon finding 'particles' the answer is the now familiar $11k "replace everything" scenario. But, it's out of warranty, and I'm certainly not paying 1/2 the original base price of the car to fix it when there is ample evidence to show this is a mfg design defect.

The bottom line is, "VW" knows of the problem but it would seem they have not sent out a service letter to dealers and nothing definitive has been decided what to do about it. Seems to me that the options for a solution could include a 10/100k extended warranty on the fuel system, a redesign of the pump, or ultimately cancelling the 4 cylinder TDI production until redesigned. This problem is not isolated and is not going away. A big issue with this whole thing is the outrageous prices of parts, such as $3,000 for a set of fuel injectors, but that's another topic. Nuff for now.
wait a minute, i thought these were covered under powertrain warranty???

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
oldpoopie said:
FIWI I dont beleive that the rusting filter canister has anything to do with the HPFP failures. My wife's 06 PD had the same thing happen to her fuel filter canister at about 20k miles.
Is it not possible that a rusting filter canister has caused a few HPFP failures? If the CR is much more sensitive to debris, the small rust particles could start the HPFP on its way to destruction, while the PD cars remain unaffected.

I don't want to turn this into a speculation thread though, sorry for the continued OT.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
This thread is ONLY for HPFP failures and fuel system failures/problems in the 2009/2010 TDI’s. After several discussions with various members a decision was made to have a designated thread to track/monitor the failures and problems associated with HPFP and fuel system issues. I’ll repeat again, this is not a discussion thread, but a thread for posting your actual HPFP failure and/or any fuel related problem that required service.
Comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc. are GREAT, but we are trying to keep this thread "clean". Please send a PM to ask questions, comment, etc.
We all know what it's like to dig thru and read zillions of posts to find what your looking for. YES, I know I'm breaking my own rule, but I'm allowed.:p

JohnofD

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
"Rusted" Cannister/Replace entire fuel system

Year: 2010
Build Date: 3/09
Make/Model: JSW
Mileage: 6,400
Diesel Fuel Source: Variety of big names
Problem: MIL light won't go off, occasional Glo Plug, lack of acceleration at times. They replaced fuel pressure sensor. MIL comes back on soon. Next time fault code for Fuel Pressure Low. They noted fuel level is low at time. MIL stays on. Back in a month later. They find a nicely rusted cannister and "Recommend replacing every component in fuel system." Today I decided to try the dealer where I bought it. I knew about the reflashing from these threads, and that's what they did "Recall Campaign. Reflashed system." Picked up the car, and started to find MIL on! They hook it back up to HAL, and mumbled something about needing another part, something about a fuel sensor or "thrusher", and I'll return on Monday.
Dealer: Scoville, Corvallis, OR.
Status: "Pending." VWoA refused to cover under warranty bc of contaminated fuel (haven't asked for the evidence yet). Spoke with Regional Rep--same answer. Filed case with NHTSA online. Hoping that second shop will come through.
As of 9/10, Farmer's Ins. has decided to foot the $9K bill. I still am waiting to hear from VW after receiving an initial letter from a claims rep requesting more information. I'm in the "they're getting back to me" phase.
Update:
Repairs done ($9K--15,000 miles). I'll get parts info later (anyone want to buy a used fuel tank :) I have a hearing with the BBB Auto online, but they do not arbitrate insurance settlements. I hope I can testify from some other angle (since I think Farmers shouldn't have to pay the bill.)

Last edited:

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
Broken/cracked fuel line to injector for cylinder #2

So just an FYI that the recent leak was due to a broekn fuel line. They replaced 03L-130-301-R and removed and reinstalled injection line 23301933.

astaal

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Build Date: not sure, at dealers
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 25000
Diesel Fuel Source: (usa, chevron)
Problem: HPFP Failed. Brought vehicle in for routine maint. While leaving dealership, car stopped, woul not restart. mechanic walked down, somehow forced car to restart after 5 attempts and brought back to dealership. Upon inspection stated that fuel pump exploded which causes metal shavings to be spread throughout system. said its the third time they have seen this and that they would need vehicle for about 6 days. rental car provided and repair is under warranty.
Dealer: Santa Barbara Volkswagen

astaal

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
fuel pump failed

Just an update on my 09 jetta tdi HP failure. After a month the dealer finished the repair and paid for a rental as well as covered it under warranty. They did not provide any invoices and were kinda in a hurry to get rid of us. Thought it kinda suspicious and being in California I though it was mandatory to provide some kind of work order after work completed. In talking to the mechanics they mentioned that the first time this happened that they tried to charge but now that it is becoming a known problem and they are seeing more vehicles coming in they are now covering it under warranty. Wifey has a "biodiesel" decal on the car and has occasionally run b5 bio but hadnt for 3 months prior to the failure. Service manager suggested she remove decal because they were considering not covering because of it.

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
Just an update on my 09 jetta tdi HP failure. After a month the dealer finished the repair and paid for a rental as well as covered it under warranty. They did not provide any invoices and were kinda in a hurry to get rid of us. Thought it kinda suspicious and being in California I though it was mandatory to provide some kind of work order after work completed. In talking to the mechanics they mentioned that the first time this happened that they tried to charge but now that it is becoming a known problem and they are seeing more vehicles coming in they are now covering it under warranty. Wifey has a "biodiesel" decal on the car and has occasionally run b5 bio but hadnt for 3 months prior to the failure. Service manager suggested she remove decal because they were considering not covering because of it.
maybe if you had a Coca-Cola sticker they would've denied you too. Coca-Cola is also bad for the hpfp.

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
Build Date: 03/09
Make/Model: Jetta Wagon/Comfortline
Mileage: 18200 km when problem started, currently 22000 km.
Diesel Fuel Source: Mix
Additives: (Yes/No) PS
Problem: HPFP pressure regulator faulty, replace for new one together with HPFP.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=283393
Dealer: VW Outaouais

Steelyeyed

TDI
2009 Jetta
HPFP catistrophic failure

Build Date:
Make/Model:Jetta
Mileage: 26260
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Problem: Dealer says HPFP failed contaminating entire fuel system
Dealer: MAG Dublin, Ohio
Status: Stalled/stopped no restart in middle of intersection on 8/12. Towed to dealer who reported "bad fuel". emailed VofA who have not responded. Still pending as on 9/1.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
A quick comment, I like when links are given to the related "failure" post. Could that requested in the original post?

Status
Not open for further replies.