2010 Jetta TDI

'10 JSW TDI

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
I received a call from VWoA today stating that the MIL light is an emission software issue and my dealership would be able to fix it at the end of the month if I am still experiencing the problem.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Don't want to jump the gun but picked up my new A3 Tdi today and on the way home the check engine light came on 220 miles. Scangauge gave me code B2AAA. Can't believe that I've had the car a couple of hours and I'm on my knees in the snow plugging in the reader.

Last edited:

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Check engine light ON.

To '10 JSW TDI:

I received the same phone call on Tuesday, February 16. Same content - "Eureka! we found what the root cause was, (software bug), we are working on a fix, which should be available to dealers at the end of February, stop by your nearest dealer right away to schedule an appointment!" Sure I will, simple ones, sure I will! In your dreams! The check engine light indicates no problems for now, therefore, I see no reason to bring it in until it comes back on again, if it ever does. Isn't it nice to know that VW wasted two days of my time, ripped my car apart, put 30 miles on it, and scratched the paint on the door handle for no reason whatsoever?

Treesnake

Veteran Member
soot1 said:
To '10 JSW TDI:

I received the same phone call on Tuesday, February 16. Same content - "Eureka! we found what the root cause was, (software bug), we are working on a fix, which should be available to dealers at the end of February, stop by your nearest dealer right away to schedule an appointment!" Sure I will, simple ones, sure I will! In your dreams! The check engine light indicates no problems for now, therefore, I see no reason to bring it in until it comes back on again, if it ever does. Isn't it nice to know that VW wasted two days of my time, ripped my car apart, put 30 miles on it, and scratched the paint on the door handle for no reason whatsoever?
I got the call, too, but am away on extended work travel and won't be able to bring the car into the dealer for a while.

soot1, correct me if I'm wrong, but the CEL hasn't recurred for you since they replaced your O2 sensors, right?

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
CEL light on.

No, the light hasn't come back on (as yet). I have 4100 miles on the vehicle now, that means I piled up roughly 2000 miles since the light came on in late October, and about 1800 since it went to the shop for that reason. However, if it really was a software bug, chances are the light will come on again. Did yours lit up since the fix?

Treesnake

Veteran Member
soot1 said:
No, the light hasn't come back on (as yet). I have 4100 miles on the vehicle now, that means I piled up roughly 2000 miles since the light came on in late October, and about 1800 since it went to the shop for that reason. However, if it really was a software bug, chances are the light will come on again. Did yours lit up since the fix?
No, mine hasn't come back on since the O2 sensors were replaced, either. Yet!

That's why the "software fix" angle seems fishy: all the 2010 TDIs presumably have the same emissions software; but this problem only happens on roughly 4% of 2010 TDIs; and replacing the O2 sensors on those 4% seems to fix the problem.

Also, if the "software fix" just consists of deleting error code 00315 altogether, I'm not interested!

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Dealer today scanned 00135, nitch gefunden. Updated ECM via sum code#8P01A050. Seems to be alright now. They also sold me a quart of the 507 oil for $6.00.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
bmike said:
Dealer today scanned 00135, nitch gefunden. Updated ECM via sum code#8P01A050. Seems to be alright now. They also sold me a quart of the 507 oil for $6.00.
Thanks!

So is this the famous software fix? "Updated ECM via sum code#8P01A050"? Can someone explain to me what that means?

'10 JSW TDI

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
I am still CEL free and it has been about 1200 miles since the last repair. I have no plans to take my car back to VW until regular service is required or I have an issue. Like treesnake and soot1 I am not interested in having them perform their "software fix" on what seems to be a hardware issue.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Treesnake said:
No, mine hasn't come back on since the O2 sensors were replaced, either. Yet!

That's why the "software fix" angle seems fishy: all the 2010 TDIs presumably have the same emissions software; but this problem only happens on roughly 4% of 2010 TDIs; and replacing the O2 sensors on those 4% seems to fix the problem.

Also, if the "software fix" just consists of deleting error code 00315 altogether, I'm not interested!
I have the feeling that when I brought the car in for the O2 sensor replacement, they already deleted the 00315 fault code from the car's memory. Of course, that is only my speculation, but from VW's perspective, it makes perfect sense - if the code isn't in the car's memory, it cannot be called out, therefore, the CEL light will not come on for that code. If nothing else, that buys VW all the time in the world they can possibly ask for to identify the culprit. All the vehicles that came down with that problem will, for now, be "fixed" in this way, and when they come up with the real fix, they will ask the owners of the affected vehicles to show up at the dealership again just to make the repair "official". Call me conspiration theorist, but I don't believe a word coming out of VW's mouth, not even their hello when I visit the dealer. VW isn't alone - look at the mighty pillar of quality called Toyota and what they have done.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
soot1 said:
I have the feeling that when I brought the car in for the O2 sensor replacement, they already deleted the 00315 fault code from the car's memory.
I was wondering whether that had been done to my car, too. They did it to TDIabolus a month ago:

TDIabolus said:
I just returned from the dealership after my 3rd instance of the 00315 MIL. Here is the description from the service invoice:
"Verified Fault 00315 Present, Referenced TSB for concern and performed permanent erase procedure as code is a false code. Road test to verify MIL now off."
(The post is on page 17.) But my service records don't mention any permanent erase procedure or TSB, and I'm not sure VW even had a sufficient handle on the problem to instruct dealers to erase the code permanently back in December. Still, I'd sure like to know if there really is a TSB instructing dealers to do that!

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
I speculated that VW instructed the dealers to perform permanent erase of the 00315 code back in December exactly because they didn't have a handle on what is causing it, and just wanted to buy themselves some time to figure out what the problem really is. Whether VW really found out by now what was causing the CEL light to come on or not, they probably realized that erasing the code permanently won't cause any harm to the vehicle, and it keeps the CEL dim, so that's the fix. Again, I am only speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reality of this fix.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
soot1 said:
I speculated that VW instructed the dealers to perform permanent erase of the 00315 code back in December exactly because they didn't have a handle on what is causing it, and just wanted to buy themselves some time to figure out what the problem really is. Whether VW really found out by now what was causing the CEL light to come on or not, they probably realized that erasing the code permanently won't cause any harm to the vehicle, and it keeps the CEL dim, so that's the fix. Again, I am only speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reality of this fix.
I'm curious, Does anyone know for sure if dealers have the power to do this? It seems that this is something that a manufacturer will only allow the factory to do. Having dealers do this just opens a door for mechanics erasing codes at will. Is there someone here that works at a dealer etc. that knows if they are capable of such thing?

gday

TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG Hiline
Software changes

If a major change is made to the software is it coded within the VAG-COM scan results? I say that because I have a new TDI Golf Wagon (3rd day) and could check to see which version is on my car. If a major change to solve problems was made surely all cars would have it installed to ensure the problem does not appear on them.

HEV

TDI
2010 JSW, Candy White, DSG
It's been a while since I posted about this. First I had the EGR gasket and return valve replaced at about 1500 (after I had cleared the codes myself....came on again after about 500 miles). At around 2000 miles I had both O2 sensors replaced. Car now has around 6317 miles on it and the light has not returned. They car is running fantastic BTW. This engine gets better and better the more miles that are put on it.

Bottom line, who knows?....but I know that I cleared my 315 code and it came back after a few hundred miles.

Off Topic: Those of you that are getting in the mid '40s; I'm jealous! With my DSG in mostly City driving, I'm getting 33-34. Freeway 41-43. Many times I wish I got the manual.

Edit: overstated mileage. 6317 not around 7000. I'll check the date on the O2 change tomorrow.

Last edited:

geolink

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2010 Jetta Wagon & 1998 Beetle & 2005 "Mercedes" Sprinter
New Sportwagen!

I go pick up my new 2010 6spd manual tomorrow. Hope it's a good one!:)

Paceline

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Actualsizeaudio said:
Have any of you users with issues ever experience a rubber burning smell coming from your exhaust?
About 3 times I smelled a burning smell but it was coming from under the hood towards the back of the motor. The car has about 1400 miles. The temp gauge stayed on 190 and no other warning lights came on...

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The particulate filter is at the back of the engine, attached to the turbo.

Actualsizeaudio

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH, 2013 JSW
Paceline said:
About 3 times I smelled a burning smell but it was coming from under the hood towards the back of the motor. The car has about 1400 miles. The temp gauge stayed on 190 and no other warning lights came on...
After our first trek on the highway yesterday we stopped to dropped off a friend along for the ride. That was when we noticed a crazy burning smell coming out of exhaust. Wife said she didn't smell it on her city commute to work today.

Maybe something burning off the exhaust?

nh75063

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
It's probably the regen cycle, which another poster schooled me on. :)

When it happens, your fan may run, and it has a smell like burning brakes.

nh

boyscruise

TDI
'10 Jetta Sedan
Just bought a '10 Jetta tdi sedan with 37 miles from a dealer in Dallas, TX. The CEL came on at 50 miles. Brought the car in the next day to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as a bad O2 sensor. Ordered the parts and the repair is scheduled for this Saturday. Thanks to this thread I know how best to proceed. I called VW (the number provided in an earlier message) and informed them of my issue. I live far away from a VW dealer and travel extensively. I've made it clear to the dealer that I'm not able to come back repeatedly as many on this thread have had to do. If this doesn't fix it I'm going to ask that they swap me another car or trade me into a Mercedes C300 or an Audi A4. I hope this works out for I am really looking forward to having a (good) diesel experience.

geolink

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2010 Jetta Wagon & 1998 Beetle & 2005 "Mercedes" Sprinter
Got almost a 1,000 miles on my new TDI Sportwagen. so far so good. Awesome car, drives real smooth and lots of power! Love the interior over the previous models! Except like someone mentioned ealier...My steering wheel is off-center about 7-10degrees. A seal in the door was also messed up but that was because somebody accidentally rolled the window down with the Dealer sticker still in the door...
Gotta love our VW's eh?
Thanks to this thread i went ahead and got 7yr 100,000mi warranty!!

My '03 Wagon is for sale now...5spd black on blue 90.5 K
nice ride, look on Humboldt Craigslist or cars.com, it's one of the 44 in the country for sale right now...

Last edited:

nanya

TDI
sportwagen 2010
update

Last time the car was in the shop was mid January. They installed a new throttle body and a flight data recorder (still in my car). The MIL light came one immediately after I got the car back (seven days later). They told me that it was a software problem and just drive normally. If the CEL starts to blink, then there is a "real" problem. Since then I have put about 1000 mi. and an average of 40-44 mpg i Los Angeles freeways.

Still have not gone in for the software upgrade, or turned in the flight data recorder, but the CEL is gone!!! Did they upgrade using WiFi??? Now I'm conflicted. Should I drive around some more or get the upgrade??

'10 JSW TDI

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Drove from Charleston, SC to Baltimore, MD last weekend. Half way up the light came back on and stayed lit for the rest of my trip. I was going to schedule an appointment today, but when I got in the car this morning the light was off. I have not had the "fix" performed; the last work I had done was replacement of the retention valve/line.

Indyking

TDI
Not a TDI, I have a SONATA!
vwtdinewbie said:
hi- i'm new to the site- bought a '10 jetta tdi 2 months ago, and its been in the shop 5 times now... wondering if anyone else is having problems like this or if its just my car... engine light coming on... problems with gaskets on the exhaust system and catalytic converter... i'm very frustrated... any information or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
I just wonder when or if ever VW is going to figure out the reliability issues in the US. I really like the way TDIs drive and feel and tried to replace the Prius for one, but reliability always bugged me, although my ultimate decision for not getting one was financially driven. The 2010 Jetta TDI, which I tested drive actually gave me a check engine light during the test drive… the salesmen was so embarrassed and apologized several times. This thread with the OP and others complaining proves that while quality may be improving, it is yet far from adequate, at least in my opinion. No offense, but glad I did not get one. :cool:

yellajacket20

TDI
Jetta
I received Vag-Com this week. I ordered it because I got a CEL (the 2nd) a couple weeks ago. Turns out, it is the same error code everyone is getting on this thread...000315. It must have been the same code that I had the first time because the dealer said they couldn't read it because it was in German.

I didn't clear the code and figured I would just take it to the dealer once the fix is out from VW.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
So, has anyone gone in for the "software fix" yet? I'm on an extended business trip, and don't plan on taking my car to the dealership for some time. (Plus, I'm not exactly eager to have this "software fix" performed, because my CEL has not recurred since the O2 sensors were replaced---knock wood.)

To anyone who DOES take their car in for the "software fix": PLEASE try to get your hands on a copy of the TSB the VW distributed to the dealers instructing them what to do.