Rayjay Turbocharger application

honeygrove

TDI
'97 passat B4V
Cleaning out my garage last weekend I came across a new Rajay Turbo ( Model 3AA1EF60B1 - part # 600605-02) that I bought to install on a BMW 2002 Tii that I owned in the late '70s - '80s. I obviously never got around to it. Is this turbo suitable for use on a TDI? The engine displacements are pretty close to what the BMW was (2 liter) but the fabrication for proper fitting might be an issue.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Was this a gas or diesel BMW this turbo was for?

I know that RayJays were sold in kits for the 1.6 IDI (Rabbit) diesels in the 1980s. Highly sought after. Rarely you would see one on e-Bay and they bring VERY good money! (Well over $500 I think). I would look into this and possibly you should sell it!

--Nate

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
ON a wastergate Tdi perhaps...I had one of those( and recently got another) on my Rabbit Gti years ago...loads o fun. Way too big for a 1.6. Much better on a 1.8 and would have been perfect on a 2.0. Nice turbo!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I have also a new in the box turbokit for a MB 240D out of the late 70ies with a wastegateless rayjay charger, if anyone is interested.. comes complete with manual etc

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I also had an early gas turbo kit on rabbit with TO4B rayjay. For street cars stay with vnt technology. Wastegate turbos are too laggy for our rpm ranges.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
TdiRacing said:
I also had an early gas turbo kit on rabbit with TO4B rayjay. For street cars stay with vnt technology. Wastegate turbos are too laggy for our rpm ranges.
Are you sure it was a rayjay? I have a Callaway kit on my Rabbit and it's a Rotomaster T04B.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Rub87 said:
I have also a new in the box turbokit for a MB 240D out of the late 70ies with a wastegateless rayjay charger, if anyone is interested.. comes complete with manual etc
Interesting! Are any other supporting mods required?

edit: Nevermind, I did some research and looks like more than I want to do to the 4 banger. If anything I'd rather eventually swap in a turbo 617. You could probably find a buyer for that over here on the benz boards.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I had a callaway kit...and later a car tech kit...both were cool. The callaway was more refined(for its time) but the car tech was faster and sounded cooler.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP

if anyone is interested

on the parts overview page I marked what parts I still find of it :)

Turboto

TDI
'01 Jetta & '11 Golf
i have a 2001 tdi jetta and a new rayjs to4 turbo which i would like to instal. cannot find a exaust manifold. anyhelp?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You earn points for using the search function, but Rajay and other turbos of that generation are so ancient of technology that they cannot do any good compared to contemporary units. Since it seems that there is still a market that fetches healthy prices for these for some reason (this thread is more than 3 years old, after all), you are better off selling yours and getting a modern turbo.

Besides, your 01 (or 11) TDI uses a VNT turbo and while not impossible to do a swap, going to a wastegated turbo as the Rajay one would be is not trivial and a step in the wrong direction.