TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
CSK Auto, Inc., operating under the brand names:
Checker Auto Parts
Schuck's Auto Supply
Kragen Auto Parts
Murray's Discount Auto Stores

These guys have a sale going until Oct20:

Buy 5 quarts Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) 5w40 and a Mobil1 oil filter (they don't make one for the TDIs though) for $30.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
NAPA and CarQuest should have TDT in the warehouse, even if they don't have it on the shelves. Order for next-day delivery.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Sorry, loudspl- can't justify Rotella T at $19/gal when TDT can be had for $22.

It will be interesting to see how the new Rotella "T6" performs compared to TDT, and how it will be priced.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
a little off topic but refresh my brain, it's been a long time since i took shop class. i looked at the local napa store yesterday and they had the TDT 5W-40 in stock. i looked at the back label and across the top half from what i remember it said CI-4/CJ-4 and a few other things, then along the bottom it had CI-4 plus. I'm guessing this is the older CI-4 Mobil 1 oil and not the CJ-4 everyone is trying to hunt down?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
ducesrwld said:
a little off topic but refresh my brain, it's been a long time since i took shop class. i looked at the local napa store yesterday and they had the TDT 5W-40 in stock. i looked at the back label and across the top half from what i remember it said CI-4/CJ-4 and a few other things, then along the bottom it had CI-4 plus. I'm guessing this is the older CI-4 Mobil 1 oil and not the CJ-4 everyone is trying to hunt down?
CJ-4 > CI-4 or CI-4+

The labeling is confusing the way it's done, I'm assuming that's due to space constraints.

jyd83

TDI
2006 Golf TDI 5 speed malual
So from what i am reading Castrol syntec that i buy from the dealer with the 505.01 for my PD is not a full synthetic oil...and if not what would be a better option to use? also what doest TDT stand for

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
BleachedBora said:
Remember they changed the formula in Rotella a year ago, and all my oil contacts are telling me that they took out the Zinc for the EPA.
I'm not getting into an oil war, I've said my peace.
You keep saying this peace.

And I keep posting actual spectrographic evidence that Shell hasn't stripped out the zinc at all.

CI-4+ RTS: Zn 1403 / P 1249
CJ-4 RTS: Zn 1365 / P 1215

I understand you don't recommend it but please don't do so on the basis of factually inaccurate information - or ones based on your own experience, that you're seeing turbo coking issues from RTS users moreso than other oil users (which in and of itself doesn't say much unless we know more about what proportion of these people have other vehicle issues, how many of your customers use what oil and indeed how many of your customers run RTS with no issues whatsoever) - and also please inform your "oil contacts" they are spreading falsehoods.

In the issue of openness, all my transactions with BB have been satisfactory, I previously ran RTS in the NB for satisfactory 10k OCIs but do not find any transactions at WalMart to be satisfactory in any way, shape or form.

resinguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Silver
Has anyone seen TDT at a Wal-Mart in the Cleveland area? The Strongsville and Cleveland Hts stores do not have it, don't even have a shelf tag for it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It's been three or four years, maybe longer, since I bothered checking for M1 5w40 at Walmart. Typically their shelves are full of gas-engine-only oil, plus a few jugs of Shell Rotella T. If I want TDT, I go to O'Reillys, or else check with NAPA or CarQuest for next-day delivery, they have it in the warehouses if not on the shelves.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
P S A:

P R I C E >> R O L L B A C K

The price has dropped to $21/gallon at my local store :eek:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
What vehicles are you guys using this oil in? My 2005 calls for 505.01 and there is a big old sticker making this absolutely clear that I must use 505.01 compliant.

Are you all VE's or pre-PD engines using this oil?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
T, yeah, that's correct. The last VW diesels that could safely use API oils and not void the warranty would have been 2003MY and earlier.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TornadoRed said:
It's been three or four years, maybe longer, since I bothered checking for M1 5w40 at Walmart. Typically their shelves are full of gas-engine-only oil, plus a few jugs of Shell Rotella T. If I want TDT, I go to O'Reillys, or else check with NAPA or CarQuest for next-day delivery, they have it in the warehouses if not on the shelves.
I take it all back -- I found TDT on the shelf at the Walmart near the Iowa Speedway exit off I-80. $21.00 per gallon so I bought two.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TomB said:
What vehicles are you guys using this oil in? My 2005 calls for 505.01 and there is a big old sticker making this absolutely clear that I must use 505.01 compliant.

505.01 for warranty purposes, Tom. But there are lots of PD owners whose TDIs are out of warranty, who are running TDT or other API-spec oils. A few years ago it was completely experimental but that stage has passed.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
TomB said:

I'm using a similar oil in both my VE & PD. I've seen enough UOAs to be convinced that 505.01/507.00 is only for emissions and certainly not for engine protection. I would use TDT without hesitation in any TDI.

Look up some UOAs and decide for yourself.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
scurvy said:
I'm using a similar oil in both my VE & PD. I've seen enough UOAs to be convinced that 505.01/507.00 is only for emissions and certainly not for engine protection. I would use TDT without hesitation in any TDI.

Look up some UOAs and decide for yourself.
UOA are about the health of the engine.

What about your emissions? Has anyone looked at the long-term impact on them? They are just as costly as the engine to replace these days.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TomB said:

What about your emissions? Has anyone looked at the long-term impact on them? They are just as costly as the engine to replace these days.
Maybe in some states. In others, so far at least, the solution to a piece of faulty emissions equipment is to rip it out.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
TomB said:
Agreed, to an extent. I try to do everything reasonable to keep my engine happy - good fuel, Cat 2μm fuel filter, IMO the best performing oil for the buck & drive it like it was meant to be driven. Probably going to add the Dieselgeek bypass filter soon as well.

TomB said:
What about your emissions?
Dunno. Illinois doesn't test diesel cars' emissions. I kept my EGR & catalytic converter (and fully intend on doing so... at least the cat ;)) but lost my muffler.

If my choice in oil eventually kills my catalytic converter, then I will asses at that point if I want to continue having one (TDIParts exhaust system w/high-flow cat converter) or not. Engine health & longevity is my #1 concern, and my choice in oils reflects that.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
TomB said:

UOAs show engine and oil health, oil and air filtration (these manifest themselves in terms of engine and oil health though) and cooling system health.

Luckily on the PD the only emissions things are an O2 sensor, EGR and a cat. Cats are cheap. None of the complex expensive stuff like today.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Bob_Fout said:
UOAs show ....cooling system health...
I'm puzzled by this. I understand that a UOA will show if there is coolant in the oil, but don't see how you can judge the cooling system's effectiveness- outside of the fact that there is a breach into the lube system ;)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
tditom said:
I'm puzzled by this. I understand that a UOA will show if there is coolant in the oil, but don't see how you can judge the cooling system's effectiveness- outside of the fact that there is a breach into the lube system ;)
You are correct, I would consider coolant in oil an unhealthy thing :p

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I tried my normal Walmart... no joy.

I stopped by the 'crappy neighborhood' Walmart (no self check outs, electronics section is sealed off so just one way in/out etc) and sure enough they had a half dozen gallon jugs on the shelf.

I just picked up one as it'll probably be another year before I need to change oil again :).

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
dieselfueler said:
Lesson learned: stay away from the new fangled walmarts
Where I live, the old fangled Wal_Marts are being torn down and replaced with the new Super center ones. In a 20 mile radius, we have SIX of them! But they do carry M1 TDT for $22/gal and Rotella T.