PD glow plug reflash dealer info

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am starting this thread as a way for anyone needing their BEW, BHW, or BKW engine's glow plugs replaced and the ECU reflashed at a dealership. DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER TDI ENGINES SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA EXCEPT THOSE THREE LISTED!!!!

It would seem many of the dealer service departments are clueless about the issue, and I want anyone who has successfully had a dealer do this for them to let us know here.

Here is the TSB, in case anyone needs a refresher this is the latest one(courtesy MOGolf):

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/U995VPT2700.pdf

And here is the previous thread with some details and discussion if you wish to learn more (this is in the B5 section, but applies to the BEW and BKW as well):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230287

Some of you have had luck having dealers do this, no questions asked, but many have gotten the "deer in headlights" look from your dealer service department when asked, and others have even gotten the downright refusal of the dealer to carry out the reflash per TSB.

If you are going in for this, I would suggest printing and bringing the TSB in color preferably so the red highlighted print about the reflash importance stands out. While it would seem anyone with a 6th grade reading level could grasp the wording and such of this TSB, people with such skills seem to be elusive at VW dealers across North America, and often need some guidance. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell, the ceramic glow plugs provided by Bosch as original equipment in the BEW, BHW, and BKW engines is no longer available. The replacements are of a different voltage, and this voltage change means that the software needed to control them via duty-cycling of the relay is different. Volkswagen calls this "palpitation". The original plugs were 7v, which means on a 14v system the duty cycle or palpitation is about 50%. The new plugs are 5v, which means the duty cycle MUST be reduced to around 32% in order to achieve the same desired heat range in the plug. Failure to update the software with the plugs will of course lead to damage to the system as the ECU software has no idea you just changed the plugs to a new voltage.

Since software reflashing is a must, you also must replaced all four (or all ten in the case of the BKW) plugs at one time, even if you only have one faulty plug.

On a side note, as is with all manufacturers, when you get a reflash done your ECU will not only be updated for this portion of its programming but will also receive any other updated bits...things like hard starts, extended crank times, hesitation, etc. will also be addressed.

If you have an aftermarket tune, this reflash will overwrite it! Not to worry, however. The better aftermarket tuners can either A: redo their software for you with the newer glow plug palpitation parameters in place, OR, B: can retune your car again once you have gotten the newest reflash and simply leave the new palpitation parameters in place.

Before you ask any questions in this thread, PLEASE read the TSB, read the other thread that I linked above, as I do not think there are any questions that have not already been answered. I mainly want this thread as a list of dealerships who can and will do this TSB as Volkswagen intended (in other words, do their job) . If you have a specific contact name at a dealer, such as a specific service writer, technician, etc. please provide that as well (first name(s) only please).

Thank you to everyone who can provide information on these dealerships:

Autobahn Volkswagen
Fort Worth, TX
Service Advisor: Kerry

Motorville of Sheboygan, Wisconsin

University Volkswagen
Seattle, WA
Service Advisor: Beckey

Gurley Leep Volkswagen
Mishawaka, IN
Technician: Jeff

Ganley Volkswagen
Bedford, OH
Service Advisor: Mike

Atamian VW-Honda
Tewksbury, MA

Pete Moore Imports
Pensacola, FL
Service Advisor: Rich

UPDATE: VOA has issued a recall for this!

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Thank you Oilhammer. One quick question: Should the new plugs be installed and the reflash done if your current PD glow plug system is functioning perfectly? i.e. for engine safety due to the possibility of breakage of the ceramic GPs?

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
That is a good question. I did it to mine as prevention, and since as I stated the new software will also address some other issues I would say that is a good idea.

I have seen the damage done to an engine when one of the plugs broke off...it is not pretty. Ruined pistons, severely damaged cylinder walls. Also, there have been reports of severe oil burning after damaged plugs were removed, suggesting something did in fact damage the piston and/or cylinder walls.

I should also add that glow plugs on a TDI are as much an emissions control device as a cold starting aid. So please do NOT think just because it never gets cold where you are that you are safe. I guarantee you there is no place in the whole of North America that sees a TDI never power up its plugs.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
I have used Autobahn several times in Fort Worth, TX. Ask for a service writer named Kerry and tell him you want Mario to do the work. You can tell him I sent you if you want to. They know me because I have used him for several reflash jobs and I have watched him do the work. On the bhw engines there may be an extra reprogram he as to do before he does the glow plug flash.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I was lucky and had them changed out last month by Oilhammer. I also got lucky and my dealer reflashed the ecu under warranty.

Car runs spot on.

oilhammer

TDI
leicaman said:
I was lucky and had them changed out last month by Oilhammer. I also got lucky and my dealer reflashed the ecu under warranty.

Car runs spot on.
Yes, but which dealer so we can list it here? :)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Motorville of Sheboygan, Wisconsin The entire time the car spent at the shop was just over an hour. If you folks have any questions about them, PM me.

kato96

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW wagon
University VW in Seattle reflashed my 05 BEW on 04/30/09. Beckey was my service advisor and is familiar with the process as is the service manager. The reflash was covered by the 8 year 80,000 mile Emission Control Warranty and might be another reason to deal with this sooner than later. Got a free car wash too.

wayne strutt

TDI
2005 JETTA tdi bew
oilhammer said:
I am starting this thread as a way for anyone needing their BEW, BHW, or BKW engine's glow plugs replaced and the ECU reflashed at a dealership. ...more

I had a cel and scanned to find #2 glowplug failed. I bought 4 new ones here http://westportparts.com/LateGlowPlugs.htm for 24.00 a set. I replaced only the bad one and just over a year its still fine. They were made in china . I did not know about the reflash. I had reprogrammed the chip in 2005 and would have lost this had I let the dealer change the gp at 47.77 plus labour and tax each
WS

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
wayne strutt said:
oilhammer said:
I am starting this thread as a way for anyone needing their BEW, BHW, or BKW engine's glow plugs replaced and the ECU reflashed at a dealership. ...more

I had a cel and scanned to find #2 glowplug failed. I bought 4 new ones here http://westportparts.com/LateGlowPlugs.htm for 24.00 a set. I replaced only the bad one and just over a year its still fine. They were made in china . I did not know about the reflash. I had reprogrammed the chip in 2005 and would have lost this had I let the dealer change the gp at 47.77 plus labour and tax each
WS
That is another prothe website. Were they cermanic or steel glowplugs?

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
I am told by my local vw parts department that vw is about issue a recall for the ceramic glow plugs. He had enough steel glow plugs to do 34 cars. He told me vw distributes the part right before the recall.

oilhammer

TDI
I have heard similar from 3 different sources now.

I wonder if they will reimburse us? Should I submit a reciept that says "Rocketchip RC1 tune" :D

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
It is official.. VW is recalling these cars for the software and glow plugs. I have suspected it for over a week. I did receive confirmation on Tuesday but I have been busy as usual and unable to post.

The campaign code is 28E6 R8

Good news :)

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks so much for this great news!

So, does this apply to BEW, BHW, and BKW engines only? I will try and get a copy of the campaign ASAP.

Thanks again. :)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's everyone's opinion on this? Should we have the recall done? How about us folks with performance tunes that will be wiped out? Maybe we should see our chip tuner and ask him if he can perform the required software up for steel GPs.

Is there any harm or danger involved without having the campaign performed, i.e. in keeping the ceramics? I have a couple of spare ceramics I bought at dealer retail:mad: and stashed away for spares.

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
I would get it done. Those ceramics are going to be trouble sooner or later, and I have seen the damage the can cause....it isn't pretty.

As for software over write, yes it will do that...however most of the tuners here will take care of getting you 'retuned' afterwards. I know it can be an inconvenience.

My PD's plugs have already been upgraded by me, and my ECU has been RC'd, so I am not going to mess with anything. But all the stock folks should take advantage of this.

I would, however, take some steps to make sure the plugs come out. Spraying some penetrant on them a couple days before you go in may help immensely.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I just called Dana Motors in Billings MT (my closest dealer) to see if they have recieved anything on this and they said they can't do the work warranty wise till they get the paper work as well. So looks like I will have to wait a week or two. They said they heard about this but they need the paperwork first. Thanks Oilhammer for letting us know.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Excellent news! I presume this means we have to take the car to the dealership to have the work performed, rather than get parts for free and take to guru for the labor, and then back to the dealership for the ECU re-flash. I wonder how many of these the dealerships are going to screw up and break the tips off inside the motor :rolleyes:

oilhammer

TDI
Zambee500 said:
.... I wonder how many of these the dealerships are going to screw up and break the tips off inside the motor :rolleyes:
Well, that is why I think giving them a fighting chance by spraying some penetrant a few days in advance may help. No doubt there will likely be some issues with that.

I have replaced a LOT of PD plugs and have not had even one inkling of trouble with any of them, but that does not mean my being super careful and slow with them was what kept it that way. Some others that I would certainly trust to be careful have had troubles, so I dunno...

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Well FINALLY! Great news indeed! 1 down, 1 more to go. The BS gear upgrade that is. :cool:

Hmm, I wonder how long until we receiver this officially in the mail?

If VW would find it in their corporate heart to recall the BS also, I'll be in love with this vehicle all over again!

sschnath

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
volkswagendude said:
Well FINALLY! Great news indeed! 1 down, 1 more to go. The BS gear upgrade that is. :cool:

Hmm, I wonder how long until we receiver this officially in the mail?

If VW would find it in their corporate heart to recall the BS also, I'll be in love with this vehicle all over again!
I second that. I was really angry that I had to pay to have the car reprogrammed because they decided to change the material type. It wasn't the money so much as the principle. Okay, it was the money too.:)

Maybe they are listening. I would have to say that if they finally decided to institute a BS recall that I would be a customer for life (as long as they keep offering diesel vehicles!). Right now I'm on the fence.

Gil

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 auto wagon and 2004 stick
Does anyone know if Rocketchip (Jeff) has commented about this?
My 04 will have to be retuned after VW changes are made.
Sucks for sure.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oilhammer said:
Well, that is why I think giving them a fighting chance by spraying some penetrant a few days in advance may help. No doubt there will likely be some issues with that.

I have replaced a LOT of PD plugs and have not had even one inkling of trouble with any of them, but that does not mean my being super careful and slow with them was what kept it that way. Some others that I would certainly trust to be careful have had troubles, so I dunno...
This may make you all feel better: I had a really incompetent dealer perform warranty work at 9000 miles after I bought my PD brand new. A glow plug failed (CEL was on) and it took them 45 days and 4 visits by me to get it done right. They ended up replacing all the ceramic GPs and then I removed one to examine their work (this was before I knew they were ceramic). Bottom line: My ceramic GPs have been messed with quite a bit a few years ago and not one of them has broken.

--Nate

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Recently had a Glow Plug CEL issue and it was handled under warranty on March 14, 2009. They only replaced the glow plug found to be faulty, the #1 cylinder's plug. Receipt shows replacement glow plug was part number N-101-401-04. Would this have been the "old" glow plug such that they only needed to change it out, or is it the new plug's part number and they *should have* changed them all and re-flashed per the TSB. Note that this service was well after the date the TSB came out. The Tandem Pump as also replaced during this service due to leak.

Here is the receipt from the March 14 warranty service for the glow plug CEL, it specifically says only replaced the faulty plug, and nothing at all about re-flash or compliance with TSB # 01 08 33Nov. 25, 2008 2017520. (other items addressed on this visit: Broken upper boost hose bracket, leaking tandem pump).

Last edited:

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Okay,it looks like p/n N-101-401-04 is in fact a Bosch glow plug, perhaps they had the old OE type stocked in their parts dept.

But would it still not have been a better customer service to go ahead and change out all 4 to the new type and re-flash, since the TSB had been out for a few months prior to this service?

Next question, if one fails again after warranty is out and I decide to DIY the repair with four of the new type, what are the odds of me being able to source a copy of the new flash for use with VAG-COM (if VAG-COM reflashes)?