View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2009, 14:03   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have posted this before, but here it is again:

1: run the engine just enough to get some heat in it. From ambient, running it for about 2 minutes is plenty.

2: remove the engine cover, remove the connectors on the plugs. #4 plug may require loosening the fuel filter and sliding it as far DOWN as it will go, and gently lifting that little hose up out of the way.

3: blow compressed air around the plugs' base, making sure no debris is present.

4: spray some penetrant around the plugs' base (I like PB Blaster or Kroil) and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The heat from the engine will help wick it in.

5: using a 1/4 drive ratchet and a deep 10mm socket and extension, gently loosen each plug a quarter turn, then spray some more penetrant.

6: turn the plug back in a bit, then continue backing it back out. If you hit any resistance, stop, spray, go back in, and wait. If you do not hit any resistance, keep turning out but be careful not to cock the plug at any angle other than the one it sits in in the head!!!!

7: once the plugs are loosened, I lift them out one by one with some 'magic fingers' or similar tool on the aluminum electrical post...coming straight out of the head.

8: blow all the holes clean again with compressed air. Spray some protectant in each hole (I use WD-40) just a bit. Spray protectant on the plug threads be certain the threads are clean.

9: set the new plugs in the holes and use the magic fingers tool to start them in the threads a turn or two.

10: tighten them down with your ratchet, being careful not to cock the tool sideways while doing so. Snug them down, they need not be very tight. The torque spec is very low, most wrenches will not go that low unless you have a 1/4 drive one, and even then they are really hard to use at that low of a torque. I just use my short 1/4 drive ratchet and the palm of my hand. The spec is 15 Nm IIRC.

11: reinstall the connectors, reposition the hose and filter, refit the engine cover.

Page generated in 0.06455 seconds with 7 queries
[Output: 16.82 Kb. compressed to 15.23 Kb. by saving 1.59 Kb. (9.43%)]