Injector Shimming and Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Pete,

What are your thoughts on the Transporter injector bodies (aka the Bosch .203's)? I have a set of those in my car with PP 764's. These were installed years ago and never pop tested. Were the pop pressures very different in those bodies than the injector bodies in the ALH engines?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The pressures for the ALH (regardless of the body) should be 220/300.

If you install Bosio nozzles on Bosch injectors, rest assured the pressures are ALL over the place (random) due to the differences between manufacturers and design.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Yeah they are! :D

It's hard to keep a straight face when the wife asks "So how much was THAT!" "You don't wanna know..." LOL

DB

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
injector calibration

DBW calibrated my injectors. The Bosio PP502 nozzles had been in for 10K miles and the car had 89K miles. Here were the test results:

Now that they are set to 220/300 the car seems to run smoother.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
injector calibration

Pete set pressure on my injectors and after I put them on car it was fantastic. I have jetta'97 with sprint 520 nozzles and before pressure test, I had power but lot of smoke. After he did injectors it was no change in power but smoke was gone. And also IQ had increase . I did adjust little bit. I set my at 5.0 . So I recommend any time you want to do your nozzles you should do pressure set. And only with Pete. He knows what he is doing.
Tanks Pete again.
Marin from Dallas,TX

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Bump for excellent customer service!

Pete called me from Germany today (New Years day) to help me resolve a dry fuel system restarting issue.
The engine runs awesome, thanks again!

bts

TDI
2002 Golf gls 5m
Another happy customer with having 350,000km(216,000miles) on my stock injectors I thought it was time to get new nozzles and have injectors balanced.I sent them out on monday from Ontario,Canada and had them back 1:15pm wednesday.They looked brand new no more rusty color.I had Pete install sprint 520 nozzles.Also he gives you a print out on how your injectors tested out in booth stages and how your spray pattern looked.As soon as the car started i noticed right away the change in the sound of the engine totally different sound, quiet and smoooth.I could not believe the sound difference they made in the engine. My friend who installed them for me could not believe it either he said he was going to do the same thing for his fathers tdi. Car drives great no shudder, no smoke,alot quieter idle and smooth. Did the hammer mod(11mm pump) set IQ at 4.0 will try that out for awhile then adjust if nessary.Thanks Pete for the excellent customer service as soon as he sent out my injectors he called me and gave me my tracking number.

grass hoper

TDI
2001 jetta TDI 1.9 ALH auto.
I have a 2001 tdi alh 125 k with warm weather in Miami can only get 345 miles city, 440 highway. I thought at the beginning that nozzels on auto, an manual were the same, so I bought a set and installed them my self. Result: a lot of power and a lot of smoke. These were .187mm. Then got a vag-com and controlled some of the smoke, but there is no economy. I'm realy into economy, not into power. I would like to get the 700 miles on a tank plus that you guys talk about. Where can I get a set of stock nozzels for auto, and what are the best settings in the vag-com for economy? I appreciate your help in advance!!!

Last edited:

zuke757

TDI
2003 Golf
economy

Grass hopper, we need to just trade injection pumps with me, that way you could get your 700 miles from one tank. I get that all the time with my 03, my injection pump in the 10mm. You could also just keep your nozzles. Just a thought.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
PD stuff...

vwmikel said:
So, will this fancy new equipment work for PD injectors? :D
I'm curious about that too.. I should be getting a set of used 150's soon and for peace of mind i'd like to see them get a good once-over before installing them into my baby :)

What's needed on the PD injectors vs the VE units anyway?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Sending my Injectors to DBW but am debating whether to have them calibrated to stock (230/310) or custom (240/350) for more fueling.

Anybody have experience with this?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I choose the stock 230/310 break pressures.

The accepted myth with nozzle swaps is that you can "swap-n-go" but that is obviously not the case. Proper injector calibration is a must if you want a smooth running motor with the most bang for your buck out of your nozzle purchase. For $135 how can you go wrong?

Before/After calibration reading in Field 013:

0.47 -0.41 0.38

vs

0.03 -0.08 0.05

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
greenskeeper said:
Before/After calibration reading in Field 013:

0.47 -0.41 0.38

vs

0.03 -0.08 0.05
Pressures Before:
#1 228.6/367.8
#2 236.9/353.1
#3 230.4/359.4
#4 233.4/361.9

Pressures After:
#1 227.9/304.4
#2 226.4/302.6
#3 223.1/304.4
#4 227.4/308.8

Thanks for giving me the chance to get the injectors straightened out. Keep the fuel clean, and enjoy the PP764's!

DB

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
how long would you estimate that these injectors are good for? 100k miles before replacement? The stockers never got a chance because I swapped them out with sprints at 60k or so miles.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
I suggest having them re-shimmed every 50K and spray patterns checked. Also at the first sign of start up smoke would be another good indicator they nozzles need to be re-adjusted.

The nozzles do wear and the internal clearances change as they age. So there are a lot of variables to "when" they really need it.

DB

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
Drivbiwire said:
Also at the first sign of start up smoke would be another good indicator they nozzles need to be re-adjusted.

DB
My car smokes every start up when cold. I will definately get this done Pete

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
DBW, do you have nozzles in stock? I might be one of the ontario folk in on shipping and looking to get PP520's.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Yes I have nozzles in stock. If I don't Kerma will ship any nozzle available to me next day.

I have a set of PP520's if you want them.

Give me a firm number of injector sets, I will work on a group deal for you guys.

If you guys can get 6 sets I will drop it to $110.00 a set OR $120 for the Sealing washers and fuel return line kit.

For all six sets I can do shipping next day for $70.00 vs $40.00 for each set of 4.

Turn time, with 6 sets I would be looking at 2 days or 48 hours at my place.

-Each set would have to come with a filled out .pdf order form
-Get me a list of which nozzles you guys want with a name.
-I will forward to the shipper the customs invoice to make the shipping easier for you guys, just print 4 copies, fill in the tracking number sign, and ship.

For nozzles, if more than 4 of you guys are getting new nozzles I will be happy to discuss a group rate for Bosio nozzles. Just let me know which ones and I will get a quote back to you guys.

Let me know how I can work with you on it, it's a great idea if for nothing else saving the shipping costs.

DB

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Injector_Form.pdf

There it is, Just fill it out on your computer (fillable PDF), print it and ship one form with EACH set of injectors. The last thing I or any of us needs is to sort out who's injectors are who's...

Protect the #3 wire on each set. Usually, wrapping it in one layer of small bubble wrap does the trick.

I wrap all four in a rectangle small bubble bubble wrap sheet. Alternating I roll them together so none touch each other. I then insert all four into a zip-lock (1 Quart) bag and ship. This prevents any leakage during shipping. I would also suggest putting the pdf in each bag that way each set is identified and seperate.

Another thing, this lowers the shipping weight, keep that in mind since you do pay by the kilo for shipping.

With at least 6 sets the pricing will be:
-$110.00 USD for calibration or set up
-$10.00 for the seal washers and fuel return line
-Shipping for 6 or more sets will be a total of $70.00 USD
-Paypal would be preferred with the group buy, I would ask that the payments be submitted prior to shipping so no one order holds up the rest. Paypal: drivbiwire@hotmail.com

Injector prep:
-Remove the old sealing washers at the nozzle
-Remove the #1 injector end cap
-Remove all the old fuel return line, otherwise it's extra weight and I throw it out when it gets here.

Let me know if there are any other questions.
Pete

Last edited:

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I recall reading kerma said that Bosio's should be "broken in" first...because there was a break in period or a similar type of thing. I also recall he said they didn't need pop tested, or is that different/less precise from what you do(?)

Anyway, is that wrong/no longer the current trend? or is it better to have them in a few thousand miles then get calibrated?

I'm considering 520's.

R

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
rosskuhns said:
I recall reading kerma said that Bosio's should be "broken in" first...because there was a break in period or a similar type of thing. I also recall he said they didn't need pop tested, or is that different/less precise from what you do(?)

Anyway, is that wrong/no longer the current trend? or is it better to have them in a few thousand miles then get calibrated?

I'm considering 520's.

R
There is no break-in with injectors. They are as good as they will ever be out of the box. The urban legend of "Break-in" comes from people hammering the injection systems with injectors so out of whack that they finally got used to how poorly the car was running.

Injectors only wear, they don't wear in.

Setting the injectors when new allows them to work perfectly out of the box and from the first start. Not calibrating them means you have injectors opening at random pressures and out of sequence with the design of the motor.

I can say that "new" (as in never used) injectors internally may settle .02-.04 microns when used the first time, however this simply lowers the break-pressure slightly on both stages. However this would only be true on brand new injector body's not used ones. On the new injectors I set them on the high side of the spec to account for the slight settling that will occur as the internals flatten out the machined base surface from opening and closing at high pressure.

From the first time the injectors fire, it's down hill from there. The best thing you can do is set the injectors up properly and use the cleanest fuel you can ie CAT fuel filter.

DB

Status
Not open for further replies.