View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:28   #233
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Here it is folks...finally some results. Here's the rundown:

- Metalnerd 2" lift
- Springs from a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6 (front color code: 2 blue/2 white, rear color code 3 green/1 silver)
- Koni Special Reds (rears are longer wagon version to help avoid topping out) at factory full soft setting
- 205/70/15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi snow tires (summer tires will likely be 215/60/16 for a very similar diameter). Stock size was 205/55/16.

Final lift (suspension and tire) numbers: 3.25 inches up front, 4 inches in back.

I have not driven it much yet, but so far I am very pleased with the results. Only drivability changes are a touch of oversteer and slightly lower rpm's for a given speed. Acceleration hasn't really diminished much from the larger tires, I expect to notice it less when I do the manual trans swap. It is not a major change at all, I just barely notice it. There is a slight change in braking feel as well, it takes a bit more effort to slow down but the brakes on these cars are so good I don't see it as an issue. That said, this is as big (26.3" overall dia) as I would want to go for tire size personally. 27" dia like some of you run is a bit much IMO. I still need to get an alignment done, and I still need to install new TT LCA bushings to tighten things up a bit.

My old suspension was crapped out. Springs were sagging and the upper strut mount rubbers were like hockey pucks. I could feel every little bump in the road and big ones could jar fillings loose. Now the ride is far improved, and the Koni's give a firm but supple ride in my opinion. A good balance of handling and comfort.

Now to the pics.

Before:

Rear Measurement Before:

Front Measurement Before:

After:

Rear Measurement After:

Front Measurement After:

Better pics of the car will show up in the next few days and I will post them to this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223077

Last edited by TDICADDGUY; December 1st, 2008 at 07:34.
TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09143 seconds with 7 queries
[Output: 17.79 Kb. compressed to 16.03 Kb. by saving 1.76 Kb. (9.88%)]